Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Preperation of HBr in acetic acid.
bmays
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 23:30
Preperation of HBr in acetic acid.

I need to prepare a 15% solution. I think i will use NaBr and H2SO4, this should make HBr and Br2 which will be bubbled into the acetic acid. Then H2 gas will be bubbled into the acetic acid to convert this unwanted free bromine into HBr. This should be a good way to avoid having to use hot phosphoric acid and NaBr?

thanks
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 12-5-2013 at 01:46

Quote: Originally posted by bmays  
I need to prepare a 15% solution. I think i will use NaBr and H2SO4, this should make HBr and Br2 which will be bubbled into the acetic acid. Then H2 gas will be bubbled into the acetic acid to convert this unwanted free bromine into HBr. This should be a good way to avoid having to use hot phosphoric acid and NaBr?

thanks

No, this is not a good way of making a 15% HBr solution. Firstly, bromine and hydrogen doesn't react spontaneously at room temperature and pressure (bromine as vapour and hydrogen as gas can be mixed together at room temperature without HBr being formed) as hydrogen is quite inert at room temperature and pressure. Secondly, the reaction between H2SO4 and NaBr also produces SO2, which will react with Br2 when it is diluted/cooled to produce H2SO4 and HBr. It depends on the purpose of your 15% HBr solution, but the presence of H2SO4 as an impurity is likely to be problematic.
bmays
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-5-2013 at 13:27

Oh, i see. Then i will make an 50% aqueous HBr solution first using my NaBr, the diluted H2SO4 will not be concentrated enough to react. Then use MgSO4 to dry and liberate HBr gas.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 15-5-2013 at 14:06

For preparing a variety of dilute acids, I would suggest reacting the appropriate acid salt with Oxalic acid, H2C2O4 (or the dihydrate, H2C2O4.2H2O). For example, with an aqueous solution of NaBr:

2 NaBr + H2C2O4 --> Na2C2O4 (s) + 2 HBr

I started a thread on this general approach awhile back. Please note, however, that safety issues can arise when attempting to produce concentrated acids via this approach. As such, I do not generally recommend this procedure to form concentrated acids as many acids can be inherently dangerous and/or unstable (including explosive, always research and check MSDS before experimenting) by themselves especially at high concentrations.

As an example of potential safety issue, with NaClO3, the action with H2C2O4 forms Chloric acid (HClO3). However, with excess H2C2O4 in this instance, the Oxalic acid takes on a new role as a reducing agent, and from the newly created HClO3, explosive ClO2 gas will be evolved. This will occur even for a supposedly safe concentration level of Chloric acid.

[Edited on 15-5-2013 by AJKOER]
bmays
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 17:48

NaBr does not seam to react with an oxalic acid and sodium bisulfite. Does it require heating for HBr gas evolution?
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 20:19

Sodium oxalate is water-soluble, although not very much so. Unless you use a dehydrating agent to liberate HBr as gas, your solution will be contaminated with sodium oxalate. If you had, say, calcium bromide, then that would be different.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 07:20

H3PO4 and NaBr or KBr produce anhydrous HBr upon heating, with slow production and strong cooling plus good dispersion by a frit or at least good stirring 15% in GAA is doable. A slim tall vessel, a tube basically, inlet to the bottom, filled with crushed glass 5cm high for dispersion.... Take care the system must be sealed there is some pressure to overcome. The receiver needs only a tiny openeing favorably equipped with a acid trap, something from PP lightly stuffed with cotton and a carbonate, a few drops of water worked all the time. A suckback arrestor/washbottle/onewayvalve between gas generator and receiver may be helpful. Better not all in once but in steps, say not all needed bromide to acid but a part is good.
Most of all take your time, the HBr will dissolve in GAA but not always immediately. Time is the key.

Best way of making anhydrous HBr (and HI) is Bromine + Tetraline. Smooth reaction, quantitative.

/ORG

Go To Top