Author: Subject: 2-methyl-3-nitrophenol
rudy090992
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-5-2013 at 22:38
2-methyl-3-nitrophenol

I was doing a little bit of lurking and I found this thread:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=17735

It interests me because I have a compound I'm interested in ('2-methyl-3-nitrophenol') and the synthesis I came up with involved a lot of nitros and nitro reductions and sandmeyers. It was a big mess. However, this thread reignited my interest in the compound.

The new synthesis I came up with is

2'-methylacetophenone--->2'-methyl-3'-nitroacetophenone--->6-acetoxy-2-nitrotoluene--->2-methyl-3-nitrophenol

The problem is synthesizing 2-methylacetophenone. I'm thinking I should preform a friedel-crafts acetylation with acetyl chloride/AlCl3 on p-toluenesulfonic acid and then hydrolyze the sulfonyl by refluxing with phosphoric acid. Is there a better way to do this? If there is, I'm unaware of it.

[Edited on 17-5-2013 by rudy090992]
rudy090992
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-5-2013 at 14:12

Maybe there is some way I could utilize a formylation reaction instead of the acetylation. I should still be able to perform a baeyer-villiger on an aromatic aldehyde and subsequently hydrolyze it to a phenol.

A formylation reaction with HMTA is so much more attractive than an acetylation with acetyl chloride/lewis acid.

The duff doesn't quite seem possible. It tends to be formylate para to the methyl when I need it ortho (reported ratio is 84% para and the rest ortho.) Sulfonating the para position deactivates the ring so much I don't know if the duff would be possible.

The sommelet reaction could work but I would need to have another methyl group meaning I would have to start with o-xylene and halogenate just one of the methyl groups which I have no idea how to do effectively.

I could use Cu(I) and methylmagnesium bromide to make the methyl group but starting with toluene just seems to be FAR more practical.

I could also create the phenol through a diazonium salt but that seems like it would be inefficient compared to the baeyer-villiger/hydrolysis approach. (I also have more access to peracids than I do NaNO2/Cu(I).

Idea's anyone?

If I were to go the route of producing the phenol via peracid oxidation, then my starting compound would be o-tolualdehyde. I could sulfonate the aldehyde, then nitrate, then cleave sulfonyl, then peracid followed by reflux in aqueous acid. Still seems like a lot of work. Especially considering the high cost of o-tolualdehyde.

[Edited on 17-5-2013 by rudy090992]

Go To Top