Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Granular Ferric Oxide: Phosphate aborber turned thermite?
DeadHead
Harmless

Mood: Sublimating

[*] posted on 18-5-2013 at 08:39
Granular Ferric Oxide: Phosphate aborber turned thermite?

In my reef keeping, i use a substance, GFO as a phosphate absorber. Over time it becomes saturated with phosphates and I replace it. There are guides for stripping it so it can be reused, but I had an idea that perhaps I could just use it to make simple thermite.
If I were to use the "used" GFO would the absorbed phosphates affect the reaction?
Would any residual salt? and its far from just NaCl...
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 18-5-2013 at 09:26

Are you wanting to make something hot and sparkly, or are you interested in the iron which the reaction produces? The phosphate will certainly be reduced (which will require slightly more aluminum than usual), and the resulting phosphorus will partly burn off, partly dissolve in the iron (forming iron phosphide, making it very brittle).

Residual salt should be soaked out, and the granules thoroughly dried (as in, calcined) to ensure no adsorbed or chemically combined moisture remains.

At a glance, it looks like GFO is ferric hydroxide powder, granularized, so it should contain chemically combined moisture. Ferric hydroxide thermite tends to flash and explode, due to the gas and heat produced when steam is released and burns with the aluminum.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-5-2013 at 09:34

I wouldn't recommend using contaminated and water containing iron oxide for thermites. Better to strip and dry it and then test it. Or use 'virgin' GFO, after mild calcining to drive off any water.

Anything that's volatile above 2000 C get's blown off and can cause all kinds of problems although it's not guaranteed either: potassium chlorate boosted thermites blow off KCl vapour, yet run well-contained without problems or deflagration.

DeadHead
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-5-2013 at 08:55

Right now I'm looking to make something sparkly and little else. Still have to get my hands on the powdered aluminum, seems common enough, but still nervous.. seems like everything fun to do is on some watched list anymore. :mad:

Perhaps ill do some kind of controlled experiment, with virgin gfo, used gfo, and "stripped" gfo as the variable.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2013 at 09:27

Quote: Originally posted by DeadHead  
Right now I'm looking to make something sparkly and little else. Still have to get my hands on the powdered aluminum, seems common enough, but still nervous.. seems like everything fun to do is on some watched list anymore. :mad:

Perhaps ill do some kind of controlled experiment, with virgin gfo, used gfo, and "stripped" gfo as the variable.

You can test the used GFO as such, just make sure you stand back enough to avoid any nasty surprises... But using aluminothermy to merely produce something sparkly seems such a waste of an interesting chemical reaction..

For all things sparkly and hot as hell, try calcium sulphate (no frills wall filler) plus aluminium powder:

CaSO4 + 8/3 Al == > CaS + 4/3 Al2O3

In excess of 3,000 C for a stoichiometric mixture!

[Edited on 21-5-2013 by blogfast25]

ElectroWin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-5-2013 at 10:32

Quote: Originally posted by DeadHead  

if you worry about being watched, you could just go get a fireworks license?
DeadHead
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-5-2013 at 19:39

I would like that very much but just scanning NY regulations about it made my head spin, and doesn't sound like something I can "just go get"... Unless someone wants to mentor me and live near Rochester NY lol.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 21-5-2013 at 19:57

Dont worry about ordering small amounts of even pyro aluminum. With small orders, they worry people are making illegal M-80 and such. just dont buy tons, or buy it with KClO4 or a bunch of NH4NO3. If they kicked doors down over a pound or two of flash grade Al, then my door would have been off the hinges by now. BTW, I dont even think dark pyro Al is needed for thermites and thermates. Just the cheaper and more common larger meshed powders.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 23-5-2013 at 14:48

Once you get it going, you can sustain a thermite with rust flakes and aluminum turnings. You need pretty much a molten heel to get to that stage, though. (Fe2O3 melts ca. 1500C and is soluble in molten Al2O3, and Al is soluble in molten Fe, so all components are happy to mingle as they react.)

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top