Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vacuum Oven Parts?
GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 3-6-2013 at 11:10
Vacuum Oven Parts?

Hey all,
I have a napco 5831 vacuum oven. The thing 'turns on' that is - the indicator light turns on as if its heating, but no heat is apparent, even after half hour on max setting.

I took it apart and its very simple, but I don't know exactly what I'm looking at, nor could I find an immediate problem.

There seems to be two or three actual parts to it;
a part called thermo-o-disc (actually company name, not part name - its a bimetallic thermometer)
a large metallic probe, I think this is the actual thermometer
Then there are some hidden pieces in the front.

Keep in mind the entire thing is enclosed in fiber-glass and is a mess to work with.

I'm wondering if anyone has repaired one, or would know what to repair. I think since there are only ~3 'parts' and the indicator light turns on as if its heating, it would be easy to know whats going on if you have experience.

What happened to PEACH anyway?

ʃ Ψ*Ψ
Keepin' it real.
Check out my new collaborated site: MNMLimpact.com
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2013 at 17:13

Quote: Originally posted by GreenD  
I'm wondering if anyone has repaired one, or would know what to repair. I think since there are only ~3 'parts' and the indicator light turns on as if its heating, it would be easy to know whats going on if you have experience.
The indicator lamp just means it's turned on, not that current is flowing through the heating elements.

Basic things to check: Heating coils are not open; they should show some tens of ohms of resistance. The Therm-o-disc should not be open but should have the resistance of a dead short. My guess is that the oven overheated at some point and the bimetallic disc opened. You may be able to close it again by applying dry ice. As for the thermometer, I don't know what they'd be using.

For more information, any book on home appliance repair should help. This thing doesn't seem particularly more complicated that a kitchen oven.

Go To Top