Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Stories of extremely chemophobic parents and yours :p
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 10:12

Quote: Originally posted by Finnnicus  
Unrelated, but it had to go somewhere.

I gave "Guthrie's sweet whiskey" a google and my feelings are mixed. Do I feel sad? Or should I? Why? Why?I feel as if... I don't know. Try it for yourself here.

Please, go back to your chemophobic parent stories.

[Edited on 11-6-2013 by Finnnicus]

The first link that comes up there is from a creationist site that says, "Chloroform was introduced by Dr. Samuel Guthrie who first made Chloroform by mixing drinking-alcohol with lime juice."

That makes me feel sad. Pass me the whiskey- sweet or otherwise.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Hockeydemon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-6-2013 at 04:33

I'm grateful that I never had your parents jeez. I was allowed to blossom into whatever I wanted as long as I could support my decisions with rational. My step-mom who is an uneducated theist (albeit kind hearted) gave up on trying to out argue/wit me when I was 9 or 10. My dad is a rational person that would mediate our arguments.

If I wanted to do something, and I could support the reason why with logic & facts then they would STFU because I was right. They've lost enough arguments (though I guess I'm an adult now) to really never question anything I'm doing anymore. I've always had freedom to do whatever I please as long as I was respectful, and responsible.

I remember back when I was 18, and living at home and I had just started smoking pot. It was not allowed that I smoke pot in doors at all (they hated everything about it). I wrote up and explanation for the chemical reason why cigarette smoke lingers, and is damaging to the house vs marijuana smoke. I also wrote up a proposal for how I would negatively pressurize the room, and take the proper precautions to ensure they would never know I was smoking indoors. I won the argument.

Same went for science. I just randomly dropped a few hundred on science equipment one day, and set it up in the basement with no warning. They came down stairs and said "Is this a fucking meth lab?!" to which I responded "Don't be ignorant". End of discussion - never heard another word about it until my respirator came in the mail. But I simply explained that was for outdoors, and my personal safety. My dad actually ended up being quite curious about the various things I was doing.

I'm a very passive aggressive, resourceful, & rebellious person however. If I was in the OP's position the mom would hate my guts, I would go out of my way to disobey, and probably just stop talking to her/move out. Granted if I was raised by the OP's mom I would be a different person, but at that age with who I was absolutely. My high school HATED me - not that I was a bad student, or got bad grades. I just challenged authority at every turn - I still do, but have a much better handle on it.
DORI
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-6-2013 at 06:28

Not my parents, but my wife...I tried to make copper acetate using stock white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide (6%). It was too slow, so I got 99.9% acetic acid and 33% Hydrogen peroxide. Stupid, I know that now - but back then I didn't. So anyway, I mixed (very) small amounts, and put in my copper scrap. Everything looked OK, started fizzing slowly, and the all hell broke loose, the glass jar turned into a geyser, blowing fumes and turquoise liquid all over the floor. I had to run to the grocery store at the corner and get a s%$t load of carbon dioxide, spread it all over the blue stuff, just to get a 2 inch thick foam that covered the floor...lots of mopping, lots of water, opening all the windows and getting a ventilator to push the fumes out, took me like 2 hrs. Then my wife got home and asked what was that funny vinegar smell, so I said I cooked something. Never tried it again!
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 20-6-2013 at 06:36

Peracetic acid intermediate was probably formed, I guess it was a real mess, better to do stuff like this outside, especially with oxidizers like hydrogen peroxide.

I never asked for this.
Nitro-esteban
Harmless

Mood: inert

[*] posted on 20-6-2013 at 13:48

Good thing my parents barley care about all the reagents and explosives i have. They never ask about anything unless they can smell it.
chemcam
Hazard to Others

Mood: I will be gone until mid-september, on a work contract.

[*] posted on 20-6-2013 at 19:30

Quote: Originally posted by Nitro-esteban  
Good thing my parents barley care about all the reagents and explosives i have.

Let me guess... 5kg of TATP? Improperly neutralized and stored in a sealed iron container on top of a nightstand with a wobbly leg, right next to your bed?

Sounds k3wl.

My YouTube Channel: ChemCamTV
IRC Channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 20-6-2013 at 21:04

Quote: Originally posted by chemcam  
Quote: Originally posted by Nitro-esteban  
Good thing my parents barley care about all the reagents and explosives i have.

Let me guess... 5kg of TATP? Improperly neutralized and stored in a sealed iron container on top of a nightstand with a wobbly leg, right next to your bed?

Sounds k3wl.

Don't forget the loaded pistol next to it.
My parents don't really care if I'm handling the basic stuff, but they require my dad to watch if I'm handling truly deadly stuff (bromine, thermite, etc.). Personally, I think he watches out of part fascination, part horror, and part parental protection.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
InertGas
Harmless

Mood: Decompressed

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 04:09

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
...My parents don't really care if I'm handling the basic stuff, but they require my dad to watch if I'm handling truly deadly stuff (bromine, thermite, etc.). Personally, I think he watches out of part fascination, part horror, and part parental protection.

But unless your parents are chemists (amateur or pro), how do they know what's "truly deadly"?

For that matter, how do they know when you're doing even the "basic stuff"?

What you say suggests that there's a good level of communication, honesty and mutual respect between you and your parents. I think that's great and (as a parent) I hope you understand how fortunate you are to have parents like that. Similarly, I hope your mother and father appreciate how fortunate they are to have a son with an enquiring mind who is willing to talk to them about what he's doing.

Unfortunately, it appears that mutual respect, good communication skills and gratitude are all lacking in the OP's relationship with his parents.

[Edited on 21-6-2013 by InertGas]
amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: Excited

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 14:28

While I applaud Cou's fascination with chemistry, I have to join previous posters in saying that his disregard for safety doesn't do him any favors, to say the least. Chemistry is much more than just throwing things together. True, it may start out that way but it doesn't become true science until careful planning and observation are involved. Here's my two cents: If you want to keep doing chemistry until your 70s, and not stop 'rather abruptly' before your 20s, and if you don't want to have your mother yell at you that you're going to kill yourself, please, PLEASE, stop performing reactions as if you have a deathwish. Mixing hydrochloric acid and bleach without proper ventilation or working with lead without proper protection is just stupid. If you start being less kewlish and more scientific (researching safety hazards of reactants and expected products BEFORE performing a reaction, having contingency plans, informing yourself as to the theory of the reaction, including expected enthalpies and such) you will greatly reduce the inherent risk of doing chemistry, and hopefully, leave your parents feeling a bit more reassured.

Always remember to check your pride at the door and ask that "stupid" question. Learning comes from having your "stupid" questions answered.
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 04:59

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  

<li>Specify the exact asbestos mineral. For example, I tell people that my specimen is chrysotile. It sounds almost floral, so people don't freak out.</li></ol>
Then I hold it out to them and say "Scratch & Sniff"...

[Edited on 12-7-2013 by Random]
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 08:55

<strong>Random</strong>, would you mind keeping that stuff on 4chan, reddit, or some other mouth-breather website?

Manifest
Script Kiddie Asshole

[*] posted on 13-7-2013 at 04:13

Oh come on, we can't have an odd joke, or reaction picture?
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-7-2013 at 05:18

Hopefully 'the odd joke' isn't as obvious and unneeded as "I see what you did there" but maybe thats just me...

Manifest
Script Kiddie Asshole

[*] posted on 13-7-2013 at 06:06

Hopefully not, maybe that's something Random can work on.
subsecret
Hazard to Others

Mood: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas & the Voidz

[*] posted on 13-7-2013 at 12:36

My parents aren't very chemophobic. My mom doesn't care what I do, but she does ask what I plan to do with the chemicals I buy. She's generally pretty interested in my lab work, especially when I use things like gas generators that look more complex than they really are. My dad generally doesn't ask what I do, he just wants me to avoid dangerous things such as explosives (and I obey).
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 26-8-2013 at 07:44

My father-in-law, on the other hand, won't let me wash bowls or glasses using detergent, as he's afraid that "chemicals" might stick to the glass....

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 27-8-2013 at 17:10

It's been a while, now that I moved all the stuff outside my parents aren't chemophobic anymore.

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
Plutonium239
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 10:55

My mom found out that I inhaled a small amount of chlorine gas and said "that's some serious ****"! I also told her that methylphosphonyl difluoride is a Schedule I substance and she thought that meant it was a drug.
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 01:28

The most chemophobic people that I have ever-met have worked at university chemistry departments! Having to fill-in numerous forms, signed and dated, filled with the new Europen-standard health-risk codes, approved by a supervisor, hard-copied, filed, indexed, periodically-reviewed and updated according to the new COSHH guidelines. Then you are allowed to use methanol as your solvent! -- so-long as you keep it in the fume-cupboard, and have less than 250 ml out at any one-time, in a clearly-labeled ISO-approved flask! :D

[Edited on 3-9-2013 by sonogashira]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 06:27

Yes, methanol is one of those they reserve special ire for. At uni we ended up ignoring the whole thing and rectifying technical MeOH to UV grade with a 10 m high pilot plant fractionation column anyway, by the gallon! Determined as we were, they ended up turning a blind eye. If it was up to the safety boffins the only thing that would ever have seen the inside of that piece of equipment would have been... water! ('Caution! Hot water is hot!')

It's all part of our litigation rich culture of course: great for liars... I mean 'lawyers'.. not so good for anything else.

[Edited on 3-9-2013 by blogfast25]

bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 28-9-2013 at 05:28

my parents are fine with most chemicals but they won't let me use heat! i'm not even allowed to use my alchohol lamp or the stove.
confused
Hazard to Others

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 28-9-2013 at 07:32

you might want to consider getting a hotplate to heat your reactions
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 30-9-2013 at 11:36

i am trying to get one. Of course I use my alcohol lamp when i absolutly need heat.

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 30-9-2013 at 12:42

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Determined as we were, they ended up turning a blind eye.
[Edited on 3-9-2013 by blogfast25]

HAHAHA turning a blind eye with MeOH hahahahaha you made me fall off the chair!
You did it on purpose didn't you?
LOL

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 22-10-2013 at 13:47

Blogfast, they will probably die of dihydrogen monoxide sooner or later anyway.

Everyone did.
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top