Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Check out this synthesis video!
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 22-6-2013 at 08:51

I, too, can re-iterate; no argument was made. I was quite clear that this was my own view and made no attempt to persuade anyone of anything. No argument, per se, was presented by me, by your own definition. You, also, have not made an argument, but merely unsubstantiated, presumptuous assertions.

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: removed unnecessary quoting]

[Edited on 7/8/13 by bfesser]
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 22-6-2013 at 09:02

Quote: Originally posted by driveby40  
Hey all,

I'm new to this forum, someone on Reddit thought you guys might enjoy my YouTube channel. I've been putting some videos together that showcase some of the work I do in my lab (I'm a grad student at UCLA). My latest video is a Skattebøl rearrangement to form a cyclic allene. Here's the link, lemme know what you think!

http://youtu.be/EVDQgjFu9BU

Nice! I love seeing stuff like this! I have to live vicariously since I can't do this stuff in real life very often

BTW why is everyone arguing and talking about philosophy? Knock it off

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
driveby40
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-6-2013 at 10:41

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
This is a futile argument. Those who take part will never concede to the reason of the opposing view. Let's all just agree to disagree and stop spamming. There's no need to take this thread any further off topic.

<strong>driveby40</strong>, I enjoyed watching your other <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-0EnES_OS4" target="_blank">video</a> on the preparation of 2-chloro-1,3-dimethyl imidazolidinium chloride (DMC), but it would be nice if you defined the acronym before just jumping into using it&mdash;sorry, this is one of my pet peeves. I'm a little disappointed that you glossed over your solution to the ring of impure solid product stuck in the Schlenk flask. What did you resort to?

I've <a href="viewthread.php?tid=19098&page=19#pid289005">requested</a> the paper you cited in the video.

[Edited on 6/22/13 by bfesser]

Yeah I felt bad about that. I think the stir bar stopped spinning for some reason during the reaction and caused that ring of crap (it was as hard as a rock!). I had done the reaction before and that didn't happen. I tried poking at it with various needles, injecting more solvents, etc. I ended up breaking off a piece of the flask in the process so I just quickly capped it and cut my losses by saving what material I managed to collect. It was kind of embarrassing breaking the glass and whatnot so I edited that out. Haha. Got plenty of pure DMC nevertheless to get to the next step of my synthesis, but then the subsequent step failed miserably so I gave up on that route. I eventually succeeded making my target compound via an alternate pathway.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 22-6-2013 at 19:20

Thanks to <strong>solo</strong>, <a href="viewthread.php?tid=19098&page=19#pid289064">here</a>'s the paper for the rest of us.

Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-6-2013 at 22:45

I agree with Magpie: you have some damn fine equipment at your disposal. Teflon pump, rotovap and that Schlenkline setup was beautiful. Seeing real air free work was eye opening as well and you seem to know your stuff. If I may ask what degree are you working on? Please make more videos if you can/ want to!!( subscribed as well). Consider me very impressed.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: Excited

[*] posted on 23-6-2013 at 17:44

I'm sorry if this is rather obvious (look at my sig for an explanation :D) but how can you be sure of the weight of your product to up to three decimal places if your balance seems rather messy and without a draft shield? what is the error in your yield?

Always remember to check your pride at the door and ask that "stupid" question. Learning comes from having your "stupid" questions answered.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 23-6-2013 at 17:56

But he rounds all that uncertainty off to 2 decimal places in the end, ie, "88%."

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 23-6-2013 at 18:03

Nice. The music is a nice touch (90s campiness notwithstanding :P ).

But just what *does* it smell like? :D

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-6-2013 at 18:17

plus or minus what? The thing is, an error of +.01g would have resulted in a 1% increase in yield. You can call this nitpicking, but why teach things like error analysis or significant figures at school if we're just going to round our numbers and call it done? I once watched a physics lecture by Walter Lewin, and one thing he said left a deep impression. He said: "Any measurement that you make without a knowledge of its uncertainty is completely meaningless." So what's the uncertainty in his measurement?

Always remember to check your pride at the door and ask that "stupid" question. Learning comes from having your "stupid" questions answered.
driveby40
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-6-2013 at 19:52

Quote: Originally posted by 12AX7  
Nice. The music is a nice touch (90s campiness notwithstanding :P ).

But just what *does* it smell like? :D

Tim

It smells strong and penetrating, detectable at even dilute quantities. Very unique smell not found in nature as far as I know. It's similar to gasoline, with an almost cloying sweetness and even an onion-like finish. Similar to dicyclopentadiene if you've ever smelled that.
driveby40
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-6-2013 at 19:59

Quote: Originally posted by amazingchemistry  
plus or minus what? The thing is, an error of +.01g would have resulted in a 1% increase in yield. You can call this nitpicking, but why teach things like error analysis or significant figures at school if we're just going to round our numbers and call it done? I once watched a physics lecture by Walter Lewin, and one thing he said left a deep impression. He said: "Any measurement that you make without a knowledge of its uncertainty is completely meaningless." So what's the uncertainty in his measurement?

Keep in mind that I was doing the experiment to produce a maximum amount of product, not to determine the exact yield. In order to use the more accurate scale, I'd have to use a smaller, lighter flask and face an inevitable loss in yield during the transfer. 88% on that scale, might very well be off by 1% (probably moreso due to temperature variation than air currents). I've calibrated that scale and its usually accurate within 0.005g for my calibrated weights.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 24-6-2013 at 07:30

Quote: Originally posted by amazingchemistry  
You can call this nitpicking, but why teach things like error analysis or significant figures at school if we're just going to round our numbers and call it done?

For Analytical Chemistry&mdash;this is Organic Chemistry.

amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-6-2013 at 18:47

thank you for the answer :) I realize now that it does depend on what one is trying to accomplish. Though I'm sure you would want to calculate your overall yield at the end of the process, and 1% errors pile up fast in multi step synths.

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 07:13

From one batch to the next, yields can very widely in organic chemistry. Physical losses can be minimized, but some reactions are just plain temperamental. It's often a lot more about what you synthesize/isolate than how efficiently. That's left to the chemical and process engineers.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 12:48

Those engineers are going to want to know how efficient the process can be before they spend millions of dollars on building a plant. So they will do optimization and pilot studies first. ;)

I would like to ask the OP where he obtained the cyclopropane dibromide precursor. Was this made in-house or purchased? If made in-house, what were the steps?

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: removed unnecessary quoting]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
driveby40
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 22:37

The dibromocyclopropane is made in house from very cheap, commercially available chemicals. Just mix cyclooctene, potassium tert-butoxide, and hexanes together at 0°C, then add bromoform dropwise. Let it warm and stir overnight. Like the Skattebol rearrangement, the mechanism also involves a carbene intermediate. Ive attached a pdf to show this explicitly.

Attachment: MECH.pdf (339kB)
This file has been downloaded 457 times

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 26-6-2013 at 08:07

Thank you for explaining this and showing the mechanism. I find it amazing that a cyclopropane, with all its ring strain, can be made so simply. That shows the power of a carbene, I guess.

Heuteufel
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 15:35

Nice. :)

But I don´t like the way you drew the addition of the dibromocarbene to the double bond. The addition of a singlet carbene is a [1+2] cycloaddition and as such a concerted reaction (one step) ... and the representation of the carbene with partial charges is also very misleading. Sorry for the nitpicking, but I could not resist.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top