Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  38
Author: Subject: Bad days in the lab or with glassware?
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-7-2010 at 05:10
Scheele

History of the Royal Society: from its institution to the end of the ...
By Thomas Thomson

Charles William Scheele was born in 1742, in Stralsund, the capital of Swedish
Pomerania, where his father was a tradesman. Young Scheele, at a very early period
of his life, showed a strong inclination to learn pharmacy, and was accordingly bound
an apprentice to Mr, Bauch, an apothecary at Gottenburg, with whom he lived about
eight years. Here he first felt the impulse of that genius which afterwards made him
so conspicuous. He durst not indeed devote himself openly to chemical experiments ;
but he contrived to make himself master of the science by dedicating those hours to
study which were assigned him for sleep. According to the testimony of Mr. Grunberg,
his fellow apprentice, he was of a very reserved and serious disposition, but
uncommonly diligent. He attended very minutely to all the processes, reflected on
them while alone, especially during the night time, and read every thing relating to
the subject in the writings of Neuman, Lemery, Kunkel, and Stahl. Kunke’s Laboratory
was his favourite book. He used secretly, during the night time, to repeat
experiments out of it. On one of these occasions, as he was employed in making
pyrophorus, another apprentice, without his knowledge, put some fulminating
powder into the mixture. The consequence was a violent explosion ; the whole family
was thrown into confusion, and our young chemist was severely chastised.
the Z man
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-7-2010 at 06:40

Sorry to post about me again.To woelen and the others, I only wanted you to know I'm glad you have understood me and I want to thank you for your concern. I'm really sorry to hear that we lost a member, I hope you're wrong woelen :( . I promise I won't be the next. After a few accidents you start to understand the dos and don'ts. You see, i'm mainly into energetics, that's surely not the best for a newbie. It is especially critical not to do any error. One wrong move and your life could change forever, or you can even loose it. to But it's what I love and you can't choose what you are fascinated by. You can only do all you can not to fall victim of your passion. But when I read stories of those who lost a hand for .3 g MHN cap or for stupid errors or even for bad luck, I start to think "what if I was him? Would I do the same error?". That's what pushes me to always try to improve. As you can see it's a strong motivation.
To Skyjumper: I see your point. I think it's the worst fault for an experimenter to let an error affect the others or even the family. You can be sure that if do something wrong I will be the only affected.I peform every experiment that I know could go wrong alone and making sure first to have a way for not damaging the others in any way. For the lead thermite see my reply on the thermite thread.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-7-2010 at 08:49

Scheele was either the chap who discovered the mineral scheelite, one of the the major ores of tungsten, formula CaWO4 with some of the Ca being replaced by other divalent metals such as Cu, Zn; or had the mineral named after him . See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheelite . There is a deposit of it near Glenorchy in the South Island of New Zealand.
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 05:38
Humphrey Davy

Annals Of Mechanical Philosophy, Chemistry, Agriculture, And The Arts.
January, 1813.

Scientific Intelligence and Notices of Subjects Connected with Science.

Compound of Chlorine and Azote.

SOME time ago Sir Humphrey Davy received a letter from Paris
[from Ampere], containing, among other particulars, a paragraph
to the following effect: " I suppose you have heard of the
discovery which has been made in France, of a combination of
chlorine and azote, a discovery, which cost the person [P. Dulong]
who made it, an eye and a finger." Sir Humphrey Davy, before
the receipt of this letter, had made many unsuccessful attempts to
produce such a combination. He immediately ran over all the
recent French journals, to see whether he might not have
overlooked some account of this new compound; but could find no
trace of it whatever. While in this perplexity Mr. Children put him
in mind of a discovery made some time ago in England, by Mr.
Burton, who, by passing a current of chlorine through a solution of
nitrate of ammonia, had obtained a white oily looking substance,
so volatile that he had been unable to collect it. On this hint Sir
Humphrey Davy immediately set to work, and speedily succeeded
in forming the supposed oil. It was volatile; and when heated on
the surface of water burnt rapidly, with a feeble puff or explosion.
Messrs. Davy, Children, and Warburton agreed to repair to the
laboratory of Mr. Children, and examine this new substance with
some care. They succeeded in forming it, by passing a current of
chlorine through solutions of oxalate of ammonia, as well as
nitrate of ammonia. They put solutions of different ammoniaeal
salts into a succession of Woulfe's bottles, and passed a current of
chlorine through them. The substance in question was formed,
and, during the course of the experiment, exploded with
prodigious violence, and broke the bottles to atoms. They had
recourse in consequence to small tubes, and used quantities of the
oil, not exceeding the size of a pinhead. Notwithstanding these
precautions, in one of their trials, the tube, broke, and a fragment
of it entered Sir Humphrey Davy's eye, through the cornea. This
untoward accident prevented him from prosecuting the
experiments any farther. But they were continued by Messrs.
Children and Warbnrton. The following are the principal facts
which they ascertained :

When this substance explodes, a gas is emitted, which when
examined turns out to be azotic gas. Hence it seems fair to infer,
that the oily substance is a compound of chlorine and azote, and
the same substance as that discovered by the French chemist, and
alluded to in the letter received by Sir Humphrey Davy, above
referred to. When a little of this substance is thrown upon the
surface of olive oil or oil of turpentine, a dreadful explosion takes
place. It explodes also when it comes in contact" with phosphorus,
but not with so much violence. During all these explosions
considerable heat is evolved.

The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2010 at 05:50
M. Rouelle, the celebrated chemist, was extremely absent at his lectures

Critical Review; Or, Annals of Literature
By Tobias George Smollett

M. Rouelle, the celebrated chemist, was extremely absent at his lectures; he usually
brought with him a brother and a nephew to assist him in his experiments ; but, as
his assistants were not always there, he would cry nephew ! why nephew ! but the
nephew not coming he would go himself to the laboratory, always continuing his
lecture as if he had still been with his auditors, and, at his return, had commonly
finished the demonstration he was then about. One day, in the absence of his
brother and nephew, being left to perform the experiments by himself, he said:
Gentlemen you see this cauldron upon this brazier.—Well, if I were to cease stirring a
single moment, an explosion would ensue, which would blow us all into the am This was
no sooner said than he forgot to stir, and his prediction was accomplished ; the
explosion took place with a horrible crash, all the windows of the laboratory were
smashed to pieces, and two hundred auditors whirled away into the garden.
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 12:34
ET Chapman — Methyl nitrate

The Year-book of facts in science and art
By John Timbs

E. T. CHAPMAN, the distinguished young chemist, whose name is well known as one of
the authors of the ammonia process of water analysis. He was killed by an explosion
in his laboratory at Riibeland, in the Hartz, on the 25th of June. Four years ago, Mr.
Chapman was the most industrious contributor to the Chemical Society. He will be
especially remembered by chymists for his very beautiful researches on " limited
oxidation," and for his remarkable faculty of performing unpromising chymical
operations with quantitative accuracy. Last autumn he left England to take charge of
a large wood distillery in the Hartz, and a short time ago had commenced the
manufacture of nitrate of methyl on a gigantic scale. Under certain conditions, nitrate
of methyl is terribly explosive, and it is supposed (for no one survives to tell what
took place) that the terrible explosion which shivered a bomb-proof building, killing
Mr. Chapman and two workmen who were with him, was an explosion of nitrate of
methyl. If the substance was nitrate of methyl, the above lamentable accident
furnishes another proof of the treacherous nature of explosives which, like nitro-
glycerine and gun-cotton, contain hydrogen and carbon associated with nitrogen
oxides. Mr. Chapman was only 26 years old at the time of his death. A few years ago,
it would have been deemed a strange thing for England to send out a chemist to take
charge of a German factory; but that the most promising of the young chemists of
England should have found no room for him here, and should have taken service in a
foreign land and perished there, is melancholy in the extreme.—British Medical
Journal.
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 05:46
Teriodide of antimony

Hand-book of chemistry, Volume 4
By Leopold Gmelin, Henry Watts

ANTIMONY AND IODINE.

A. TERIODIDE OF ANTIMONY.—The two elements unite at ordinary temperatures, the
combination being attended with great rise of temperature and evolution of iodine
vapour, and even with explosion, if large quantities are used.—On one occasion,
when a few ounces of the mixture were put into a retort, the retort burst with a loud
report, even before heat was applied, and the compound was thrown up to the
ceiling of the laboratory. (Brandes, Jf. Br. Arch. 21, 319.)

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 05:57

Since this is a bad days in the lab thread Ithink my last couple days would count.

I decided to build a new bench and the bench kicked my ass. I broke a drill bit which incidently managed to fined its was into my finger which was oh so plesent. I have more splinters in my hands from the cheep Plywood used then a woodchuck has in his teeth a 2x4 fell over and landed on my making me look like an abused child and to top it all off..... I kicked a giant steel block on accident and broke my foot....

Im just starting to build a real lab so to speak what im already getting my ass kicked by it before its complete.

I have however managed to build myself a very nice bench with a shelf above and plenty of storage under it, but I have yet to run the electric and taps for steam and N2 like I am going to do soon. Im going al also fix up my mini kiln I build a while back and use that for alot of experments so that will be awsome whn I haveit finished.

I got along ways to go, lets hope that the next few days are better then the first. I pretty much have to wait till I can walk right again before I go out woking with any power tools first tough.

[edit]

Oh yeh I almost forgot the final fun fact of the entire experience. Luckly for me the wood was infested with Mites so I woke up the next day chewed alive with, a broken foot, bruised from head to toe, full of splinters and because of the mite infestation I look like someone used my whole body as a fuking dartboard. Now I am going to have to seal the whole bench with epoxy paint before I can ever use it.

I feel like when I finilly complete it and stand back to enjoy the fruits of my labor the entire thing will burst into flames as on big last F-U from god.

[Edited on 5-7-2010 by Sedit]

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 13:29

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
making me look like an abused child

[Edited on 5-7-2010 by Sedit]

Get to your room and don't come out until you've made a right chemical mess of it.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 22:24

Dude I have never had my ass kicked like this by anything. I build the bench away from the area and it was a breeze taking a matter of minutes maybe an hour tops , all I had to do was mount it on the wall. The wood i was tring to mount it to though was stuburn plywood with some flex and appears to be treated and would reject the screwes or worse appear to take them just to have them fall on my head when I let go. It was like someone was watching me playing god and having a good laugh at my expense.

But When done its going to be awsome I hope. Im going to paint the periodic table on it and coat it in the clear epoxy paint they use in bars. The person I spoke with said it is chemical resistant, crystal clear and very durible. So my bench will be the coolest bench around for years to come.

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
psychokinetic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 22:43

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
Im going to paint the periodic table on it and coat it in the clear epoxy paint they use in bars. /rquote]

Geekcore :D
I'd like too see that once complete.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 22:48

You and I as well....

Iv been known for my artwork and I am much better at that then I am chemistry or being a carpenter so I think it will look down right awsome when completed.

The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2010 at 05:20
nitrate of potash and acetate of soda

American journal of pharmacy, Volume 45. 1873.
EXPLOSIVE MIXTURE OF NITRATE OF POTASH AND ACETATE OF SODA*
BY M. VlOLETTE.

An accident in the author's laboratory made known to him a singular reaction
between nitrate of potash and acetate of soda, which, under the influence of heat,
constitutes an explosive mixture equal in force to gunpowder. In some researches
upon saltpetre he had heated moderately in a small phial a few grams each of nitrate
of soda and acetate of soda, both previously fused and anhydrous. The two salts
melted formed a colorless and transparent liquid, which gave off a few gaseous
bubbles. At the same moment, a violent explosion occurred,, accompanied by flame
and smoke, which scattered the phial in fragments all over the laboratory ; a fresh
gaseous combination between the elements of the salts had taken place, leaving a
slight residue of alkaline carbonate.

In repeating the experiment a gram of nitrate of potash was melted in a small
platinum capsule at a gentle heat, and a gram of acetate of soda previously fused
added to it. At a temperature of about 300o C the mixture remained fluid,
transparent and without alteration as long as the temperature remained constant ;
upon raising it to about 350° C. there was a slight ebullition followed instantly by a
loud explosion, with light and smoke, similar to that of gunpowder. As before, there
was a slight residue of alkaline carbonates. The same result followed when a
substance in ignition without flame was plunged, into the liquid at 300° C.

If the melted mixture be poured upon a cold surface a white
substance is obtained, which is hard, brittle, rather hygroscopic,
more fusible than nitrate of potash, and being melted explodes
violently In the solid form it does not burn when placed in
contact with an ignited body ; but reduced to fine powder, it
deflagrates violently upon the application of a flame.

The explosive properties of the mixture are only developed when the nitrate of
potash and acetate of soda are present in certain proportions—from 50 to 100 parts
of the acetate to 1OO parts of the nitrate—the most explosible mixture being 100
parts of the fused nitrate to 60 parts of the fused acetate. When the nitrate is in
excess, the combustion is only partial and of short duration : when the acetate is in
excess, the mixture burns slowly and similarly to a light wood.

A mixture of nitrate of soda and acetate of potash was found to have the same
explosive properties, but to be more hygroscopic. Mixtures of nitrate of potash with
the acetates of copper and baryta did not yield an explosive product.—Pharm. Journ.
and Trans. Jan. 11, 1873.

* Journal de Pharmacie et de Chimie, xvi, 333.

Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2010 at 15:37

This is our good and bad day in the lab thread Wizard no place for copy and paste jobs here.

I have great news the laws of physics once again prevail and all to often people seem to forget that humans and there emotions must abide by the laws of physics....

I have in my hands now my books, Not just any books but PART of my library which I amassed thruout the years and thought had been lost in a move over 4 or 5 years ago. I have spent countless hours searching and searching for these boxes of books something like 5 boxes atlest, some of which being full of my notebooks which where so dear to me at the time to think they where lost was heart breaking. I have found one of the boxes meaning that the rest are around as well more then likely in the same area.

The irony of the whole thing is the chemistry books I have been looking for for years where where else but... RIGHT NEXT TO ALL MY CHEMICALS!!!!!! The box was mislables as someone elses junk and I never once thought to look there I even pushed it aside to make room for some of my stuff.

To give a rough idea the one box I found contains relatively little of my chemistry book collection but the titles I did find are

Handbook of Chemistry and Physics- 42nd edition 1960-1961
This is a big little book with so much data on azeotropes and chemical preperation ect that it was hard to work without it when I didn't have the internet.

Antoine Levoisier- Elements of Chemistry
This was one of the first books that got me highly into chemistry and I love it this many was the fter of modern chemistry.

Teachers Edition of Prentice Hall-Chemistry-The study of Matter

A very nice teachers edition chemistry book for im assuming collage students, some of you may even have copy of this yourselfs I dunno but it is indeed a very informative text book I suggest anyone to read.

So remember no matter how bad things seem to be going(Im running a 102f fever have a cold sore, broken toe, and all kinds of aliments) The laws of physics will do what it can to restore balance and give you the good with the bad. This finding in my lab has made the past couple days of living hell more then make up for it by far. Im so excited that I have the potential to find my old notebooks which are still MIA. When I wrote in those books I had far more knowledge then I do now and my brain was running in a way that left even the doctors astounded and even I have a hard time comprehending the stuff in someof my old notes now. When I find them it will be like getting a long lost part of my life back.

The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 05:54
sundry misadventures

American druggist and pharmaceutical record
Volume 47. 1905.
LABORATORY ACCIDENTS

of a similar nature are of course one of the regular risks run by chemists. A Parisian
daily, commenting on this subject, reminds us that when the famous Berthollet was
experimenting with potassium chlorate gunpowder in 1800 he saw all his assistants
killed before his eyes and only escaped himself by a miracle. Later on, Dulong and
Gay-Lussac were injured by nitrogen chloride. Slow intoxication by fluorine was what
killed Knox and Louget; but in 1885, in the laboratory of Dr. Ribau at the Paris Faculty
of Sciences, Besson had nearly the whole of one band blown off when experimenting
with the same substance, and Rigaut (Professor Troost's preparator) lost one of his
eyes by a sudden explosion. In 1880 M. Zede had his thigh broken by a huge glass
stopper which was blown out of a bottle in St. Clair Deville's laboratory, and at the
Sorbonne in 1891 M. Lippmann's preparator, M. Letang, had his face badly burned.
M. Lucien Poincare, brother of the well-known French politician, received similar
injury when a bottle of nitric acid burst in M. Bouty's laboratory; while the burns that
MM. Becquerel and Curie received during their researches are part of the history of
the discovery of radium.

the Z man
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 06:36

Quote: Originally posted by The WiZard is In  
American journal of pharmacy, Volume 45. 1873.
EXPLOSIVE MIXTURE OF NITRATE OF POTASH AND ACETATE OF SODA*
BY M. VlOLETTE.

An accident in the author's laboratory made known to him a singular reaction
between nitrate of potash and acetate of soda, which, under the influence of heat,
constitutes an explosive mixture equal in force to gunpowder. In some researches
upon saltpetre he had heated moderately in a small phial a few grams each of nitrate
of soda and acetate of soda, both previously fused and anhydrous. The two salts
melted formed a colorless and transparent liquid, which gave off a few gaseous
bubbles. At the same moment, a violent explosion occurred,, accompanied by flame
and smoke, which scattered the phial in fragments all over the laboratory ; a fresh
gaseous combination between the elements of the salts had taken place, leaving a
slight residue of alkaline carbonate.

In repeating the experiment a gram of nitrate of potash was melted in a small
platinum capsule at a gentle heat, and a gram of acetate of soda previously fused
added to it. At a temperature of about 300o C the mixture remained fluid,
transparent and without alteration as long as the temperature remained constant ;
upon raising it to about 350° C. there was a slight ebullition followed instantly by a
loud explosion, with light and smoke, similar to that of gunpowder. As before, there
was a slight residue of alkaline carbonates. The same result followed when a
substance in ignition without flame was plunged, into the liquid at 300° C.

If the melted mixture be poured upon a cold surface a white
substance is obtained, which is hard, brittle, rather hygroscopic,
more fusible than nitrate of potash, and being melted explodes
violently In the solid form it does not burn when placed in
contact with an ignited body ; but reduced to fine powder, it
deflagrates violently upon the application of a flame.

The explosive properties of the mixture are only developed when the nitrate of
potash and acetate of soda are present in certain proportions—from 50 to 100 parts
of the acetate to 1OO parts of the nitrate—the most explosible mixture being 100
parts of the fused nitrate to 60 parts of the fused acetate. When the nitrate is in
excess, the combustion is only partial and of short duration : when the acetate is in
excess, the mixture burns slowly and similarly to a light wood.

A mixture of nitrate of soda and acetate of potash was found to have the same
explosive properties, but to be more hygroscopic. Mixtures of nitrate of potash with
the acetates of copper and baryta did not yield an explosive product.—Pharm. Journ.
and Trans. Jan. 11, 1873.

* Journal de Pharmacie et de Chimie, xvi, 333.

Somewhat similar to yellow powder. Interesting.... Anyway acetate and nitrate don't get on well together. There are a lot of stories about mixtures of HNO3 and acetic acid or acetates suddenly exploding.
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2010 at 06:00
Curie and Becquerel

Physiological Action of the Radiation from Radium.
H. Becquerel and P. Curie.
Comptes. Rend. 132 [22], 1289-1291.
In - The Journal of the Society of Chemical Industry, 8 [20], 845. August, 1901.

The action of the radiation from radium on the skin, announced by Walkoff and by
Giesel, has been confirmed by M. and Mme. Curie, and by Becquerel. Preparations
of radium, carried next to the arm or in the waistcoat pocket for periods of two to
six hours, gave rise to inflammation increasing very gradually, but lasting many
days, and leaving after treatment and recovery, little permanent scars. The intensity
of the physiological action depends on the activity of the radium and the duration
of its application. When handling radium and its compounds the finger tips become
hard and painful ; the pain often remains long after the inflammation has disappeared.*

* This and worse befell early experiments with Rontgen's
deadly Rays.

At no extra charge —

Metallic Radium
P. Curie and A. Debierne.
Comptes. rend., 1910, 151, 523-525.
In:— The Journal of the Society of Chemical Industry.
29 [18]1111-1112. September 30, 1910.

By making use of the method described by Gruntz (this J., 1903, 800 ; 1905, 278
; 1906, 80) for the preparation of barium, the authors have succeeded in isolating
metallic radium. A liquid radium amalgam, unstable in the air, was prepared by
the electrolysis of a solution of 0.106 grm. of pure radium chloride, using mercury
cathode (10 grms.) dried, transferred to an iron boat and heated in a quartz tube,
in an atmosphere of pure hydrogen, the pressure of latter being kept above the
vapour pressure of mercury at the temperature of the iron boat. Most of the
mercury had distilled over at 270o C., and the temperature was then raised
gradually to 700o C., when the whole of the mercury appeared to have been
expelled, and the radium commenced to volatilize ; the radium vapour vigorously
attacked the quartz tube. The residue in the boat consisted of a bright white
metal, melting at 700o C., which adhered strongly to the iron. The metal is rapidly
attacked by the air, becoming black, probably owing to the formation of a nitride.
It blackens paper and decomposes water, passing for the most part into solution ;
the dark-coloured residue dissolves completely on addition of a few drops of
hydrochloric acid. The radio-active properties of the metal appear to be normal.
As radium is much more volatile than barium, the authors propose to purify the
metal by sublimation in vacuo.
rrkss
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-7-2010 at 07:26

Wizard, this thread is for personal bad days in the lab. I would prefer if you would create another thread for copy and pastes from newspaper articles.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2010 at 07:38

I understand that Marie Curie and Becquerel died of cancers due to exposure to intense radiation from radium and/or polonium; and Pierre Curie, who also had cancer, would have also died from it if he had not been killed in a street accident.
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2010 at 09:28
Bad days in the lab or with glassware?

RKSS scribed 8vi2010

Wizard, this thread is for personal bad days in the lab. I
would prefer if you would create another thread for copy and
pastes from newspaper articles. [Emphasis added. The WiZard is
In.]

Oh!? How was this determined?

This from the original post.

So I'm sure that while accidents aren't funny, I'm sure we have
some minor things that aren't major accidents, or involve
breakage of glassware. I thought I'd share my bad day in the
hopes that others have had similar experiences. Perhaps there
is something to learn?
[Emphasis added - again.]

Does the original poster own the thread, i.e., no reply can
expand upon it, or any post that does not with laser like
precision answers the question be not allowed?

I have an idea that would make this work. The original poster
we automatically be moderator of their thread and could allow
only whatever amused them.

Only one of the moderators with their God like powers could
move my C&P, &c. to another thread. If I were to start
another thread all the There is already a thread that covers
this topic
, would crawl out from under their rocks complaining most loudly.

Absent a suggestion from a moderator ....

Why do I get the feeling that some of the chemical minded here —
got into chemistry when they flunked out of Indian bureaucrat or
French Customs Agent school?

djh
-------
Hexameter—

Hexameter, the name of the earliest and
most important form of classical verse in
dctylic rhythm. The word is due to each line
containing six feet or measures, the last of which
must be a spondee and penultimate a datyl,
though occasionally, for some special effect ,
a spondee may be allowed in the fifth foot.
The four other feet may be either spondees or
dactyls….. The most usual places for the
caesura are at the middle of the third, or
the middle of the fourth root: the former
is known as the penthemimeral and the latter
as hepthemimeral caesura.
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2010 at 11:07

Quote:
Why do I get the feeling that some of the chemical minded here —
got into chemistry when they flunked out of Indian bureaucrat or
French Customs Agent school?

Because the chemical minded folks here for the most part can use google themselfs and don't need copy and paste exerpts to know what a bad day is like. They break there own shit, there glass, there mantles, there chemicals, recently my toe.... Thats a bad day in the lab.

But I digress, indeed you are right if it keeps your hyperactive copy and pasting to a generalized area then have at it. But I find anymore when I go to use the search engine much of what I find is early 1900 accidents and news reports that are not really that helpful at all other then I now know, john doe knows, not to blow his fingers off. Its an issue I have mostly keep quite about while others have bashed you for it but if you wish to repeatedly push my buttons then I will gladly open up if you wish.

psychokinetic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2010 at 13:18

" thought I'd share my bad day in the
hopes that others have had similar experiences. Perhaps there
is something to learn? [Emphasis added - again.]"

Others, meaning us.

-Tesla
rrkss
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-7-2010 at 22:21

I just posted that because I prefer to read about and hear personal stories of things that happened to members of this site in their own words. If I wanted to read copy and paste stuff, I'd google it myself.

This site is for amatuer chemistry and strange things happen in an amatuer lab. My most recent bad experience was running a water sensitive reaction outdoors and had a freak thunderstorm.
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2010 at 06:13

Quote: Originally posted by User  
Ohm man today sucked.
I broke a mercury thermometer.

I was cleaning the wall of my lab with some ammonia really nice black smudge coming of.
There was a thermometer hanging on the wall, it was an old one and the mercury had split because apparently it was lying down for a long time.
Anyway somehow I and my stupid head tipped the thing of the hook and it fell down on my desk.
It god damn shattered. :mad::mad:

So yeah i had tiny drops of Hg all over the fucking table top.
I spent 2 hours of cleaning it with an eye dropper and still not convinced that it is all gone.
I used the last of my sulphur on the floor.
Now ill be putting the radiator at max with the window open hoping to evap all of it.
Maybe ill put my gassmask on and use a blow-dryer.

What a way to start your freaking day.
Any one got some tips?

Tip? Yup.

Extracted from —
Management and control of Hg exposure
American Laboratory July, 1988
David N Easton
Scanned! And you know what that means!!

-------------------------------
Mercury spill cleanup procedures:

Because mercury will disperse into fine droplets throughout the area where it is
spilled, an effective cleanup procedure requires two steps. Always wear rubber
gloves and take care to avoid spreading the spill through inadvertent contact.
Wear appropriate respiratory protection if testing shows that levels of airborne mercury are high.

1) A trap consisting of a filter flask connected to a vacuum source at the
side-arm and a length of Tygon tubing at the inlet is used to collect all visible
droplets. A Pasteur pipet at the inlet end of the tube facilitates the pickup. A good
flashlight is essential for finding fugitive droplets.
2) After the gross contamination has been removed, sprinkle the entire area of
the spill with a liberal application of elemental zinc powder. Dampen the zinc
powder with dilute (5-10%) sulfuric acid solution to create a paste-like
consistency. Work the paste into the contaminated surface with a sponge or a
brush. After the paste dries to a light gray color, it may be swept up for routine
disposal. The residual material is removed with soap and water.

This procedure results in an amalgam of mercury and zinc (the acidic solution
shifts the equilibrium toward the bound product). The more conventional
treatment with calcium polysulfide or flowers of sulfur merely reduces the vapor
pressure by coating the droplets. Subsequent frictional forces can disrupt this
coating and result in additional vapor release.

Mr. Easton is a Certified Industrial Hygienist at the Universirty of Virginia,
Environmental Health and Safety Office. Charlottesville, Virginia. This paper was
excerpted from a lecture by the author at the American Industrial Hygiene
Conference in Montreal, Canada, June 1987.

The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 07:22
Chlorate of ammonia

Memoirs and proceedings of the Chemical Society of London
By Chemical Society (Great Britain)

April 4.—The President, Arthur Aikin, Esq., in the Chair.

77. " On the Spontaneous Decomposition of the Chlorate of Ammonia," by Mr. Joseph
Wonfor.

Having occasion lately to prepare a quantity of this salt, the phaenomena which form
the subject of this communication were observed.

The salt was prepared by adding to a saturated boiling solution of bitartrate of
ammonia a saturated boiling solution of chlorate of potassa, the liquor being
strained from the precipitated cream of tartar and cooled as rapidly as possible, it
being observed that the ammoniacal salt underwent a change if allowed to remain at
a high temperature for any length of time; the solution was then carefully evaporated
at a temperature below 100° Fahr., and again strained from a small portion of cream
of tartar which separated as the liquor was concentrated. The chlorate of ammonia
crystallizes in small acicular crystals, or in plates similar to the chlorate of potassa.
The crystals are very soluble both in water and alcohol, and have a sharp cooling
taste.

This salt was partially examined by Vauquelm, but he does not appear to have
observed the change it undergoes at the ordinary temperature of the atmosphere,
which most likely arose from his using the salt immediately after it was prepared.

In Murray-s ' Elements of Chemistry,- vol. ii. p. 544, it is stated that Vauquelin
examined this salt: the author remarks, " it crystallizes in fine needles, and appears to
be volatile, as there is a considerable loss on evaporating its solution ; its taste is
extremely sharp; it detonates when placed on a hot body with a red flame ;
decomposed by heat it gives out chlorine gas, with nitrogen and a little nitrous oxide,
hydrochlorate of ammonia with hydrochloric acid remaining."

Brande states, in his ' Elements,- on the authority of Vauquelin {Ann. de Chim. xcv.
97), that " this salt probably consists of one proportional of each of its components,
or 17 of ammonia + 7 6 of chloric acid; but its composition has not been
experimentally determined." I have analysed the salt, by decomposing it with caustic
potash, collecting the ammonia in water acidulated with hydrochloric acid, and
evaporating the solution carefully to dryness ; the chloric acid was determined by
igniting the salt, after the action of potash, in a porcelain capsule; then calculating
the amount by the weight of the resulting chloride of potassium, my results gave one
equivalent of ammonia, one of chloric acid, and one of water.

After the salt had been prepared a few days, the colour was observed to have
changed from white to lemon-yellow, and gave out an odour which powerfully
affected the nose when held over the uncorked bottle, irritating the eyes much more
than chlorine, and causing a flow of tears ; this odour was dissimilar to that of any of
the oxides of chlorine. The salt was put away till an opportunity should offer of
examining the cause of this change. On going into the laboratory some days after the
alteration in the appearance of the salt had been observed, the bottle, which
contained about 4 ounces, was found broken into innumerable particles, and the
remains of its contents strewed about the floor; on inquiry I was informed that
during my absence it had exploded with a loud report. Imagining the explosion was
produced by the bottle being closely stoppered, an ounce of the salt was introduced
into a very strong phial, and connected with a vessel containing a solution of nitrate
of silver, through which the products of the decomposition had to pass, the
unabsorbed gases being collected in a jar at the pneumatic trough, hoping to collect
the gases as they were liberated. After gaseous matter had been quietly evolved for
twelve hours, it exploded with greater violence than before, no portion of the bottle
remaining (except the neck) larger than a pea. A quantity of chloride of silver had
precipitated from the nitrate, and the gas jar contained free nitrogen. Another
portion of the salt was then placed on a sand-bath, the temperature of which was
about 120° Fahr. ; this soon underwent decomposition, but only detonated slightly,
giving off dense white fumes, with the smell of nitrous acid.

Finding the salt was so easily decomposed, I proceeded to examine more closely the
nature of the changes that took place. 20 grains of the salt were introduced into a
strong flask, connected, as in the previous experiment, with a vessel containing
solution of nitrate of silver, but with the mercurial instead of the pneumatic trough ;
the flask was then very carefully warmed by a spirit-lamp ; the salt instantly exploded
with great violence and a loud detonation, breaking the flask to atoms. Five grains of
the salt were then operated upon, without the vessel containing the solution of the
silver salt, and the products of the decomposition collected over mercury; they were
nitrogen, chlorine, nitrous acid and water, with a little chloride of ammonium; but
from the rapidity with which the gases were eliminated, it was impossible to collect
the whole of the products of the decomposition, though the experiments were
repeated six or seven times, both with and without the vessel containing the solution
of nitrate of silver. When five grains of the salt were employed, the tubes (which were
filled with mercury when no salt of silver was used) were not broken; still the action
was so energetic that it did not allow of accurate indications of the quantity of the
gases evolved being obtained.

From the presence of free nitrogen and chlorine, both in the products of the
spontaneous and produced decomposition, I am led to conclude that chloride of
nitrogen is formed; but as the whole of the products were in no case obtained, it was
impossible to determine this experimentally.

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  38

Go To Top