Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  21    23    25  ..  38
Author: Subject: Bad days in the lab or with glassware?
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 17-5-2014 at 07:12

Yesterday was *almost* a total disaster with glassware.

My glassware shelf is about 2 feet from where i sit, and i noticed a green tint to one of the measuring cylinders.
Reaching down to pick up the cylinder, i startled the 4 foot long grass snake that slithered in there behind the shelving.
In it's panic, it fortunately went Up instead of forwards, so nothing got smashed.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 17-5-2014 at 08:46

It was a snake-in-the-glass!
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 17-5-2014 at 08:51

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Yesterday was *almost* a total disaster with glassware.

My glassware shelf is about 2 feet from where i sit, and i noticed a green tint to one of the measuring cylinders.
Reaching down to pick up the cylinder, i startled the 4 foot long grass snake that slithered in there behind the shelving.
In it's panic, it fortunately went Up instead of forwards, so nothing got smashed.

Sounds close! Where do you keep your glassware, in your shed? :) How'd a snake get in your house?

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 17-5-2014 at 11:09

Quote:
It was a snake-in-the-glass!

LOL !

The Lab is just a corner of my shed.

The shed is about 30m from the house, and the snake must have come in through the open doors while my back was turned, which it generally is when i'm busy.

This is the Wilds of Spain's Costa del Sol.

Snakes have been in the house before, but the dogs tend to keep them away. The cats eat the smaller ones.

Toads, weirdly, only come and troll about in Summer, when there is NO water here !

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 22-5-2014 at 16:54
kitchen chemistry

I had been using 3A mole sieves to dry some 95% ethanol. Wanting to re-activate them I poured them into a 9"x9" glass cake dish and set them on the kitchen counter to dry. They were already mostly dry after sitting in a large beaker overnight. After about an hour on the counter they looked dry so I set the kitchen oven for 500°F (260°C) and placed the sieves in the oven. Some time after the oven had reached temperature I hear a loud bang while sitting in our family room watching TV. I looked in the kitchen expecting to see some heavy object laying on the floor; but there was nothing amiss. I then surmised that the noise must have come from the oven - an explosion of ethanol/air pushed the spring loaded oven door open and then it closed itself with a bang! So I just continued the heating until the time (2 hrs) was up then turned off the oven. A short time later I opened the oven and retrieved the sieves, after assuring myself that the oven temperature was below the auto-ignition point of ethanol.

[Edited on 23-5-2014 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 19:48

Shortly before I dropped off the radar a few months ago, I had a 125ml sep funnel fall and shatter while full of a product in DCM. Shortly thereafter, I got a 1L sep funnel from Dr. Bob, which after using a single time, I smashed the drip tip and joint on while cleaning it. I am not used to pieces of glass that large...

Now, that Im finally getting back into chem, I am running a prep of phenylhydrazine. Inside of 20 minutes, I have my 60ml sep funnel (my last one...) explode and I drop a stirbar down the drain in seperate incidents. That sep funnel had a hastily fixed star crack in it, so, it's demise was, while infuriating, somewhat expected.

I fished the stirbar out with magnets, but I now have no sep funnels.

[Edited on 6-4-14 by UnintentionalChaos]

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
thesmug
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 22:44

A few months ago I was distilling something (i think it was isoamyl acetate) when my hot plate just stopped working. I returned it and about 2 weeks later I was using my new hot plate when it suddenly started melting. It was at a perfectly normal temperature and out of nowhere it melted! I returned that and last week I was refluxing toluene and potassium permanganate when it just stopped working again! It made me really angry and I'll definitely buy a different brand of hotplate next time!

Good eyes
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 06:20

Curious and upsetting. I mixed some around 40%-55% nitric acid and cobalt. It spent the first minute bubbling lightly without any visible NO2 so I left it outside. A minute later I came back and found it furiously evolving NO2 and overflowing!:mad:

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 07:08

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  
Curious and upsetting. I mixed some around 40%-55% nitric acid and cobalt. It spent the first minute bubbling lightly without any visible NO2 so I left it outside. A minute later I came back and found it furiously evolving NO2 and overflowing!:mad:

Ouch. Did yoou make or buy your nitric acid?

bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 07:15

Bought. I use my nitric acid for when I want high purity metal salts. I love my nitric acid.:D I have plenty of nitric acid the problem is the cobalt and cleanup.
http://iconosquare.com/viewer.php#/detail/737629900139414460...

I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 09:53

Bought. I use my nitric acid for when I want high purity metal salts. I love my nitric acid.:D I have plenty of nitric acid the problem is the cobalt and cleanup.

Keep in mind not everyone (like me) has instagram...

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 10:31

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  

Keep in mind not everyone (like me) has instagram...

Haha, yep, me neither. What is the picture of?
bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 11:10

Well you should be able to view it without one. I should fix that it's a 2.5 liter jug of 67.5% nitric acid:D. That's why i wont be running out anytime soon.
EDIT I can look at the picture while logged out. That's odd...

[Edited on 7-6-2014 by bismuthate]

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 13:26

nope. cant view it.

bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 13:40

http://web.stagram.com/tag/nitricacid/
This page won't stay the same forever (but it should have some time).
And in a shameless advertisement attempt anybody who does view my profile feel free to provide feedback (I'm also a nood at photography)

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 14:09

http://web.stagram.com/tag/nitricacid/
This page won't stay the same forever (but it should have some time).
And in a shameless advertisement attempt anybody who does view my profile feel free to provide feedback (I'm also a nood at photography)

Scrolling down, we can see a lot of your posts :P Looks good!

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 07:17

Yep, that link works just fine! Looks like you've been having a lot of fun with that cobalt.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 07:23

Never underestimate the power of a superheated liquid! I found out the hard way, I was melting some agarose medium (300-400ml) in a 3 liter Erlenmeyer in the microwave, business as usual.

The flask was stoppered with a plug of wool, as usual, very loosely. With just two fingers and without any force you can remove the plug. When I took the flask I swirled it a bit to check if all agarose had melted. When I did that, the sudden boiling was so violent the flask exploded and my arm and face were covered in boiling viscous liquid.

Happily the glass in my eye (glasses aren't usual in biology labs) didn't leave any scratches and the burns weren't that severe that they left scar tissue, but it did hurt pretty bad for a couple of weeks.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 10:06

wow. that is something i personally wouldnt like very much happening to me !

Always wear glasses and a lab coat.
Wearing them hurts less than glass in eyes and scorched skin.

From an employer's point of view, also means you get back to work quicker ;)

Hope you're ok and mostly unsinged.

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 11:48

I understand Aga, when I was working in chemistry labs I always wore a lab coat and glasses. It's just that in the average biology lab there is not really any need for wearing them, there are only two things really that can go wrong, and those are the microwave and the pressure cooker... We all assume we are fine using them as long as you don't forget to unscrew the cap of the bottle you put in the microwave, but a Erlenmeyer that is a bit weak and a small amount of superheated liquid are enough apparently.

The craziest things I get to work with are 70% ethanol and buffer solutions, although a grain of ammonium sulfate or potassium hydrogen sulfate in an eye probably wouldn't be to pleasant either ;)

Edit; Ok, and maybe a full blown pathogenic MRSA/extremly resistent tubercolosis... but working with those a lab coat or glasses won't make much of a difference. If you need a coat for that, you already fucked up.

[Edited on 8-6-2014 by Tsjerk]

[Edited on 8-6-2014 by Tsjerk]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 12:24

Quote:
full blown pathogenic MRSA/extremly resistent tubercolosis

Kanga pants required. Definitely Kanga pants.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 14:53

Today I was attempting to get some recrystalized copper sulfate pentahydrate crystals out of a 250ml beaker by very very gently tapping the bottom with a rubber mallet, but I guess it wasn't gentle enough because the whole thing shattered in my hands. Luckily, the crystals, which were fairly decently sized, came out in a few large clumps, one of which makes a nice display for my desk. Now I need to buy another beaker or two, because that was the only one I currently had!
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 23-6-2014 at 08:56

*sigh* JUST got it--the supplier is actually (they say) going to warranty it. (deschem, China)

Going to take it to my buddies and cut the neck off and figure out some productive use for the 24/29 joint.

Thank goodness nothing flammable in it!

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 23-6-2014 at 11:30

Warranty from a Chinese seller ?
Be sure to do another post if they honour the warranty !

Today's Losses :
10 clear test tubes, standing on a wall ...
If one clear test tube should accidentally fall ?
Now there are 6 clear test tubes ...

Proof that Bistromathics is a reality.

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 23-6-2014 at 14:37

Made the best out of it--managed to get the ground glass neck off in one piece. With a bit of ptfe tape now have an insertable 24/29 sleeve for my Erlenmeyer!!

2014-06-23-153603.jpg - 9kB

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Pages:  1  ..  21    23    25  ..  38

Go To Top