Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: New member, Båtsmans introduction and getting glassware.
batsman
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 23:24
New member, Båtsmans introduction and getting glassware.

Hey, guys. My first post here. I have been lurking around for a while, but now was that time. :)

I guess i have to introduce myself then. :)
I am happy family guy from northern europe. I have always been a science freak, but a while back i was given Dr. Shulgins legendary book "Pihkal". I started reading it, but it was some hard stuff to read, and especially when you can´t understand half of whats written. So i started studying organic chemistry online, i bought and borrowed books from the library. So when i have the time i take a break, sit myself down and try to get some reading done.
And, time is not the easiest thing to get when you have small children, and a nagging wife. :)

So what i am planning on doing, is to get myself some distillation lab glassware and start experimenting. I have about 400-500 dollars to spend. I am thinking of cutting the budget up. Glassware for about 200-300 $, heating mantle or hotplate/stirrer for about 100$. I haven´t found a heater i feel that i can use. I found one that were heat mantle and stirrer, but the most of them i have seen are made for tiny round bottom flasks (100ml). I feel like i really would need a heater with a magnetic stirrer in. I guess that you guys probably would advice me to get one thats combined.

I wont do any hard stuff at first ofcourse. Stuff like extracting caffine from coffee and recrystallization.
I think it would be great to learn by doing it. Stuff like extracting caffine from coffee, and crystallization. And nice to get some knowledge about chemicals too. was thinking the i was extracting caffine and recrystallize and stuff like that.
If you

So, as i just wrote; i am going to get some glassware soon. I just have to be really sure of what i am getting, that the guy who sells the stuff is a honest guy, and the glassware is of decent quality, at least.

I have found a bunch of ppl and companies that sells laboratory and organic chemistry kits, and i have chosen two sellers that i feel have been getting good feedback for years, and i feel conciders this as their business pretty serious.

My top 2 are both selling organic chemistry kits, and distillation kits. And that what i am thinking about.

One of them have lower prices then the other, and thats great for me. but he seems like he got more of a quality brand glassware, and that´s great for me. But that might be becouse that the quality is lesser. And also another wierd thing is that all of the adapters, flasks glass joints are 24/29, not the "standard" 24/40.

Can i buy an adapter that makes the 24/29 to 24/40

C u guys in a while.
Oopsy_daisy
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-7-2013 at 02:01

There are adapters from 24/29 to 24/40 and vice versa but they are surprisingly expensive at around 10 $ a piece. A simple googlesearch of "24/29 to 24/40 adapter" will give you some results.
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2013 at 03:13

You don't need an adapter. 24 is the width, 29 is the length. You can use any 24 width joint interchangeably. The only difference will be that the 40 length joint will protrude into the flask a little, but it will make no practical difference. I don't think that you would be able to buy an adaptor even if you wanted to.

If you could change your mind about a 100ml flask being 'tiny' you will save yourself a huge amount of money on chemicals and glassware in the long-term. You can easily make gram amounts in a 100ml flask. If you use a 250ml flask and have 1 litre of solvent you can do only 4 experiments; if you have a 25ml flask you can do 40 experiments! I use B10 5ml flasks! :D

Maybe B10 is too small for a beginner, but I would recommend that you get some B14 or B19 glassware too, so that you can optimize your method without wasting too much material. Scaling up from 50ml scale to 500ml scale is better than wasting ten times the amount of chemicals on a failed reaction. If you use TLC for optimization experiments then only microgram amounts are needed - in which case a 5ml flask is extravagance itself!

[Edited on 5-7-2013 by sonogashira]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-7-2013 at 10:14

Quote: Originally posted by batsman  

I feel like i really would need a heater with a magnetic stirrer in. I guess that you guys probably would advice me to get one thats combined.

Hello Batsmans and welcome to the community.

Sometimes stirring is needed/helpful when you are heating but it is not always needed. If the reactants are boiling away on reflux then it is self-stirring. I have a Corning mag-stirrer-hotplate that I can place under any of my Glas-Col (birds nest type*) heating mantles. These mantles have no stirring capability themselves. This works out well.

*my brother refers to these as breast warmers :D

[Edited on 5-7-2013 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 5-7-2013 at 13:26

just that the guy who sells the stuff is a honest guy, and the glassware is of decent quality, at least.

Dr. Bob, we have another customer for you! If you are willing to piece together your kit, he has some great items at even better prices! :D

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 5-7-2013 at 23:30

Quote: Originally posted by sonogashira  
I use B10 5ml flasks! :D

Where did you find a good range of B10 glassware? I've had a bit of a look but only found a few things, not really enough for a full set. I actually have quite a lot of 14/20 glassware on its way from Laboy at present, with flask sizes from 5 mL to 100 mL (and I'd consider 100 mL to be pretty huge for most applications, certainly not tiny). I already have a 24/40 set, but it's just too big; small / semi-micro scale is much better suited to most amateur work (and even a lot of work just in general). Aside from the obvious cost benefit, it's also safer and disposal (when necessary) is less hassle.
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 01:54

I got it all from ebay. Occasionally you will find an old boxed set of Quickfit glassware - a chemistry set from the 1950/60's - but they are rare, and usually attract many bids. Most of the time I ask people who are selling a few pieces of B10 glassware whether they have any more. If they do they will tend to sell it quite cheaply, and quite often they will have more (usually pieces from an old chemistry set).

There is a good selection of parts in B10 glassware, and it is a nice scale to work with, and definitely suitable for experimentation with a new reaction. I've taken a picture of a few of the parts that I could find. This is on an A4 piece of paper, for scale. There are round bottom flasks (up to 100ml) missing, and air condenser, drying tubes etc, but this is most of the pieces, I think. I find that 100ml flasks are slightly too large for B10. Given the working area of the condenser, I will usually put an air condenser in-line if I work on 100ml scale, but I tend to scale up directly from B10 25ml to B19 250ml flasks for preparative work.

For comparison, there is a microlitre flask in the picture, to the right. This is 300 ul capacity, with a long air condenser (open-ended melting-point tube) fitted using teflon. Using these it's to very quick to optimize a reaction. Using microlitre syringes, to transfer solutions of solid reagents, at known concentrations, one can very easily vary the quantity of a reagent as 1 equiv., 2 equiv....10 equiv., into different flasks (which are very cheap), then simply spot the reaction mixtures next to each other on a TLC plate. It is quickly evident where the optimum yield is obtained. One can go further and optimize between 4.1 equiv., 4.2 equiv., 4.3 equiv. etc. etc. using fresh flasks in a very short amount of time, using only milliliters and milligrams of reagent and solvent. I put them directly on a sand bath if heating is needed, and the air condenser, due to it's length, works very well for most solvents.

B14 is a nice scale too (except that the 5ml flasks look ugly!), and probably more versatile if you want to use adapters to different joint sizes.

Attachment: Picture.zip (1.2MB)
This file has been downloaded 356 times

[Edited on 6-7-2013 by sonogashira]
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 04:18

Why did you post this twice? Yes, nice to meet you too.
-(Not sure if I should report this).

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Threads Merged
6-7-2013 at 05:04
adamsium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 05:57

That's really neat, sonogashira! The microlitre flask is really cool and I've never seen one like that. Is it a custom piece, or can you actually buy these? (I have tried some searching, but I'm not even sure what to call it)

I'm interested to see what the really tiny 14/20 flasks will look like, actually. The smallest 24/40 one I have is 25 mL and that looks kind of silly.

That's also a really tiny volumetric flask. The smallest I have is 5 mL, but that looks like it might even be a bit smaller than mine.

I've worked with a Radley's Carousel type setup for optimisation, and it was fantastic - very small scale (using the tubes) and a really clever system with the integrated 'condenser' and argon/vacuum ports, etc.

What is the item that is almost in the top left corner and has the long, narrow glass tube protruding from its base and two hose barbs coming off the top part, almost at right-angles?
batsman
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 06:39

sonogashira: You changed my mind actually. :) It makes sense. In that case maybe i should get a 100ml or 250ml heating mantle with stirrer instead? If i get a 500ml or a 250ml mantle, can i use it to heat a 100ml flask? I can´t see why now, but i can´t be sure.

On ebay, who are you getting your gw from? I have found a 4-5 different sellers that (i think) have a good selection, but there is probably someone out there that has a better deal, and with a better selection.

Magpie: Thanx. :) What do you mean by self-stirring? Would you say that it would be ok to get a mantle with just heating, and use the just until i have the money to get a stirrer?
The thing is that i have this damn budget, i only got about 100 $ to spend on a heater/stirrer, but sonogashira opened my eyes to using the smaller flasks, and in stat case i maybe could get a mantle with both heating and stirring for under 100.

And yes, breast warmers. Isn´t that what it is? :)

sargent1015: I didn´t get that. Who is Dr Bob?

adamsium: Whats considered a full setup? I am getting alot of "aha´s" by you guys today. :) Maybe i should get a 14/20 set instead then. That´s good news for me and my budget. :) I am new to the glassware so i barely know anything, but im learning.

And then maybe i should skip the larger ml flasks for now? This is my first setup, and i won´t do any large scale reactions with it.

Thanx mate. :)

Finnicus: I don´t know what happend. I didn´t mean to post it twice.

Ps. What is the big difference between 14/20 and 24/40, besides the obvious differ in size?

[Edited on 6-7-2013 by batsman]
adamsium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 07:31

A 'full setup' would very much depend on what you want to do. For synthetic organic chemistry, I'd say the minimum I'd consider a full setup would be some flasks (obviously), at least a liebig or similar condenser, distillation head and a take-off. There is, of course, a lot more that you could get, but much of it would be of little use when just starting out. One other item that would be desirable, though, is a separatory funnel.

Dr Bob is a member of this forum and has a lot of nice glassware that he is selling at great prices and many members have bought from him and are very happy. I believe his stocks are dwindling on many items, but it would be worth seeing what he has available.

Many people (myself included) have purchased glassware from Laboy glassware. They are based in China, but their glassware is of good quality and the prices are fantastic.

The difference is really just the size. This is important, though. Consider this - you have a 10 gallon drum, and you want to do a very small scale synthesis in it. You place your reagents in this 'reaction vessel' - the total volume of the reagents/solvent is 5 mL. You then tip the drum upside down to pour out your product. How much do you expect to get out? Almost certainly none - your losses will likely (almost certainly) be 100% in this case - it will be lost on the walls of the vessel and even by evaporation due to the very large surface area. This is obviously an extreme example to illustrate the point.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 08:04

I have 14/20 5ml flasks, and find them quite large in fact, easily worked with. However, 0.3ml reaction vials from microscale kit are small, you add a drop of water and you see the level rise of easily 4-5 mm.

I never asked for this.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 09:17

Magpie: Thanx. :) What do you mean by self-stirring? Would you say that it would be ok to get a mantle with just heating, and use the just until i have the money to get a stirrer?

When the reactants are boiling there is a lot of turbulence. So it really doesn't need a mechanical stirrer.

You can do a lot of chemistry without a stirrer. But at times they are essential.

Ps. What is the big difference between 14/20 and 24/40, besides the obvious differ in size?

These numbers stand for the diameter/length of the joint in mm. 14/20 is used for small scale work like 1 to 10 grams, 19/22 is used for a medium size work like 10 to 200g, and 24/40 is large scale like 100 to 500g. Personally, I like to work in the medium range so often use my 19/22 glassware. When making reagents I like 24/40. But the arguments of those advocating 14/20 for economy, waste minimization, etc, are good.

It's like buying a boat - whatever you get is a compromise. There is no "one size fits all."

[Edited on 6-7-2013 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 11:37

Quote: Originally posted by adamsium  
That's really neat, sonogashira! The microlitre flask is really cool and I've never seen one like that. Is it a custom piece, or can you actually buy these? (I have tried some searching, but I'm not even sure what to call it)

I'm interested to see what the really tiny 14/20 flasks will look like, actually. The smallest 24/40 one I have is 25 mL and that looks kind of silly.

That's also a really tiny volumetric flask. The smallest I have is 5 mL, but that looks like it might even be a bit smaller than mine.

I've worked with a Radley's Carousel type setup for optimisation, and it was fantastic - very small scale (using the tubes) and a really clever system with the integrated 'condenser' and argon/vacuum ports, etc.

What is the item that is almost in the top left corner and has the long, narrow glass tube protruding from its base and two hose barbs coming off the top part, almost at right-angles?

I got mine from here (item G9): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blown-Glass-Bottle-Sticky-Cap-Stoppe...

I had a sample of similar flasks and I found that this design was by far the best. The round-bottomed flask is difficult to remove liquid from, but the pear-shaped design allows for all of the liquid to be removed. One can also do simple 2-phase extractions, and extract the lower layer etc. with this design. I bought 200 and they are very suitable for my purpose, and certainly cheaper than buying micro-scale sets which are stupidly priced. The use of a 1ml syringe, with a needle, is ok for adding solvent, but I use microlitre syringes measuring reagents. By placing them into flattened sand on an aluminium plate, one can easily heat them safely. Sometimes I heat them to near boiling point then remove them from the heat and push the stoppers in, wrapped with a little teflon tape. The Radley Carousels are good. I've seen some stupidly expensive automated optimization units coupled to HPLC-MS etc. I'm more of a fan of TLC - shorter reaction time, smaller sample size, better resolution!

The item you mention is an overhead-stirrer. It's powered by water pressure, compressed gas, or a vacuum (same thing). One puts a stopper in the top, then allows a gas to pass in one end and out the other. I use butane from a cylinder. It works very well, and needs only a very minimal gas-flow.

(A 5ml flask looks lost under a B14 condenser. It's a collecting flask).

batsman - If I were you, I would get the best B14 set that I could afford.

[Edited on 6-7-2013 by sonogashira]
batsman
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 11:56

Hey, it me again. I just wanted to ask one thing. I have been checking out ebay if i could find any 14/20 or 19/22 glassware, and i found a couple, but only one company that sold 14/20 and 19/22 kits, but one.
http://unitedglasstech.com/2009_catalog.htm
But i don´t necassaraly need to buy a kit. I can put it together myself, but i am thinking of the price.

And then its going to cost me to ship also. I wouldnt be surprised if that cost 100 bucks. Now i have all the money transfers and i have 411 bucks.

But anyway, i have been mailing with this guy that sell very affordable glassware (don´t know about the quality), but he got kits that are 24/29. Has anyone ever heard about that before?

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 12:14

24/29 seems to be more common in Europe than in the US, but I frequently use glassware of this size with no trouble.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
adamsium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 01:02

I will have to look into getting some of those tiny flasks at some point - what a great idea!

I agree that TLC is incredibly useful for these things - it's cheap and quick and gives you a really good idea of what is (or isn't!) going on. I've been planning to get some TLC plates, actually, but I was amazed to find out how expensive they are! I'll get some at some point. I have seen some stuff about automated optimisation (not specifically for the Radley's systems) and it is really cool, but I can imagine it's absurdly expensive. I'm sure it has its applications, but I think TLC is great.

That overhead stirrer is ... just. so. cool.:o I'm assuming it's designed for the long 3-necked pear shaped flask immediately to its right. I've never seen or heard of anything like it.

That ebay store also has small vials. I might order some from them and see what they're like. I'm also wondering if they can get amber ones; I'll shoot them a message to find out.

I also agree with Magpie - there is no 'one size fits all' here. I personally like very small scale for the reasons I mentioned already, but I also just find very small scale, delicate work to be elegant in its own way. Also, as I said, I do have the larger set (24/40) if I need it for larger scale preparative work.

batsman - I'd really suggest checking out Laboy. Their prices are much lower than United Glass Tech's and the quality is actually very good. Compare http://www.laboyglass.com/lab-kit and http://unitedglasstech.com/lab__kits.htm . You'll notice that UGT's price for a 14/20 kit is $300, while Laboy's is $135. Having said that, if you opt for a small size like 14/20, I'd suggest finding out if you can get smaller flasks since the standard ones for 14/20 kits are the same sizes as the ones for the larger-jointed sets and this would basically defeat the purpose of getting a small scale set up. Alternatively, just buy the items separately.

Remember, too, that it really depends on what you want to do. If you really want to be performing syntheses resulting in large-ish amounts of product, 14/20 might be smaller than you really want. If you're more interested in just performing syntheses and other experiments for the experience, then you're probably better off with a small setup as it really makes no difference whether you end up with 1 g or 200 g of product in that case and you'll be able to do many more experiments with the same amount of reagents.

You also mentioned costly shipping. Again, Laboy wins hands down here. Their shipping is a flat rate of $15 worldwide and it's even free for large orders (>$500, so not applicable here, but it's a good deal, regardless). I checked UGT's rate for one kit and it came to around $40.
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 02:45

One can sometimes get brown 2ml HPLC vials quite cheaply. In fact I've been looking into making an automated synthesizer/optimizer using a gas chromatography injection unit/sample handler. All of the actions necessary for adding reagents and solvents to a vial, washing the needle, extracting small samples for testing etc. are there already. It would take only a little effort to amend it to automated synthesis. Even the computer software is provided; one simply has to change the pre-set parameters. If you're interested in TLC I'd recommend the old book by Egon Stahl (who popularized the technique) called Thin Layer Chromatography, if you can find it cheaply. It's remarkable how universally and accurately it can be used, even for quantitative analysis and identification of unknown samples.

I was looking at the user manual for one of the old 1960's B10 sets that I mentioned. The diagrams are actually very useful for all the different set-ups that can be arranged with the basic set of (any-sized) glassware. I'm not sure if modern glassware kits come with user manuals of their own, but I thought it was good information and diagrams, which perhaps you will find useful batsman, as regards the different types of reaction that you may perform with interchangeable parts.

Attachment: p4.zip (1.3MB)
This file has been downloaded 336 times

Attachment: p5.zip (1.3MB)
This file has been downloaded 375 times

Attachment: p6.zip (1.7MB)
This file has been downloaded 340 times

Attachment: p7.zip (1.8MB)
This file has been downloaded 305 times

Attachment: p8.zip (1.6MB)
This file has been downloaded 356 times

batsman
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 04:38

Hey guys. :) What´s up?

I have to say that i have learned so much just by reading your posts in this thread. I really appreciate that your are taking your time, trying to help me out. :)

About the smaller ml flasks, that was genious to me. It really gave me one of those "aha, is that´s how it works"-moment, you know? :) I always thought that you use the big flasks to small reactions too. Anyway, i probably won´t, in a long time do large reactions that requires me to use a 1000ml flask. :)

I checked Laboy out and i like their glassware very much. And it seems reliable to get it direct from the company too. Thanx. :)

Also after i thought about what joint sizes that would suit me best, i decided to go with 19/22. 14/20 seemed a little bit to "fragile" to me, and the 24/40 was maybe too much for me right now when i am just starting up experimenting.

About a "full setup", i am right now aiming just to get a fully functional distillation setup that i can do simple and vacuum distillations. Maybe even fractional, if i have the money. And next time i shop for gw, i get the reflux gear i need, and then the next after that, oil distillation, and so fourth.

I would like you guys to take a look at what i am going to get at Laboy, and give your opinion, feedback, or what ever it can be. Laboy have so many different pieces that i even havent heard of before. :)

All of them are 19/22.

3-way Claisen adapter.
Distillation adapter 3-way.
Vacuum take-off adapter, long stem. - (short or long stem?) (i was thinking of those "flow control" vacuum adapters, but do they work together with a aspirator?)
Distilling adapter.
Thermometer adapter 3-way.
Inlet adapter - (?)
DISTILLING COLUMN CONDENSER VIGREUX.
Liebig or West condenser, with removable hose connection. - Which one, or both?

Now we come to the single neck flasks. This i dont know much about, so a little bit help would be great. :) It seems like i always hear about RB, but nothing about the rest of them. They have RB, FB, erlenmyer, evaporation, pear shape and recovery and RB with 35/20 spherical joint.

And about the 2-neck flasks, should i get 19/22 and 19/22, or what? The same thing with the 3-neck?

I know there are many questions. I have many many more, so this is nothing. :) Love u guys for helping me out. :)

adamsium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 05:48

19/22 is probably a good 'best of both worlds' size. Also, if you're really new to chemistry, 14/20 even might be a bit small and feel a bit 'clumsy' when you're not used to this sort of equipment in any size, let alone really tiny stuff.

3-way Claisen adapter - This is essentially for using a single necked flask as a multi-necked flask. If you want to be able to, say, reflux while also adding reactants via a dropping funnel at the same time, then a claisen adapter is good. Otherwise, you might not need this.

Distillation adapter 3-way - You will definitely want some sort of 3-way adapter. This one doesn't have a thermometer joint, and I actually couldn't find the thermometer compression fitting type adapter for sale individually on the Laboy site when I looked, although it is included in their kits. Perhaps either ask them if it is available separately, or, it may end up being more economical to just buy the setup as the kit, anyway.

Vacuum take-off adapter, long stem - (short or long stem?) (i was thinking of those "flow control" vacuum adapters, but do they work together with a aspirator?) The short stem ones, I think, are more versatile, as you can use them with a very small receiving flask, but the long stem may be too long for some flasks (to be able to connect the joint, anyway). The flow control adapters are a very different thing.

Distilling adapter - If you are getting the vacuum take-off adapter, you shouldn't need this, unless there's some particular reason that you do. Note that the vacuum take-off adapter can (and almost always should be) used even without vacuum. You do NOT want to be heating a closed system, so the vacuum port will serve as a pressure equalisation port, preventing explosion or leakage of the apparatus due to pressure build-up from heating.

Thermometer adapter 3-way - If you're able to get the separate thermometer compression fit adapter, you wouldn't need this. There is also another one that they have, but only appears under the 'distillation' section, which has a ground glass thermometer joint, but this would require a jointed thermometer and you'd probably want a small stopper to stopper the hole if you didn't want to use a thermometer with it and didn't have the 'normal' 3-way adapter from above.

Inlet adapter - Do you need this? This would generally be to apply vacuum or an inert gas such as argon to the apparatus. It's unlikely that you will have any use for this at this point. For a vacuum distillation, you'd simply use the vacuum port on the take-off adapter.

Vigreux column - Obviously good if you want to do fractional distillations.

Liebig or West condenser, with removable hose connection - I actually have wondered myself what others think of the merits of each. The West condenser is supposedly a 'more efficient' version of the Liebig condenser with a smaller jacket and vapour/condensate path, presumably decreasing the heating of the cooling fluid and increasing cooling of the vapour. Many of the standard kits I see seem to include both, but I doubt that you really need both.

As for multi-necked flasks, if you're only planning on doing distillations for now, you really won't have any use for these. If you do want to be able to perform some reactions where multiple necks are required (for concurrent reflux and addition, for example), you can achieve this with a claisen adapter, as discussed above. As for joint sizes, it really depends on what you want to put in them (the joints). They mostly seem to have all joints on a given flask of the same size from Laboy, anyway, aside from the 2-neck RBFs.

Recovery flasks are generally for use with rotary evaporators.

Pear shaped flasks are good for distilling from and sometimes as reaction flasks.

I wouldn't bother with spherical joints.

Looking at this, I think it would be well worth considering the kit. It also includes a separatory funnel, which is indispensable for many procedures and can also double as a dropping funnel if needed. You can always add a few more items or just get them later.

<hr>
[edit:] I forgot to mention Dr Bob again. I hadn't mentioned him again because I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that he didn't have much left in 14/20 and that's what we'd been talking about. It might be worth asking him. Though, with shipping and such, Laboy may prove the cheaper option (especially if you're not in the USA).

[Edited on 8-7-2013 by adamsium]
batsman
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 04:23

Hey, adam. Thanx for the responding and putting all this together just to answer my newbie questions. :)
I really appreciate it. :)

Yeah, i have thought that a kit would be better now for my first order, and as you said, i can always add stuff later.

I got a mail this morning from sgv_. They said that they had a really great deal on a kit that is 24/40. I asked a few days ago if they had 19/22 kits also; they didnt. But he said that i just can react less volume in smaller flasks. Either way, i am almost 98 % sure that i will go with 19/22. It all comes down to money.

These are the kits i have been thiking about getting, and they come in a case too.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Advanced-Organic-Chemistry-Lab-Gl...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Advanced-Organic-Chemistry-Lab-Glassw...

I have about 400$ and have been counting in that i was going to buy a heater/stirrer also for the 400$. I ut i know that after i get my stuff won´t start right up, becouse i don´t have any chems yet. So i thought i would put as much money i can on glassware this time. And later, in a couple of weeks when i am going to order the chems, i can get a good mag stirrer/heater. Sometimes i get too eager.

Im rambling again. Whatever. :)

Thanx adam. You have been to much assistance for me, my friend. :)
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 07:31

Batsman take a look at the 19/22 kit at this UGT site:

http://unitedglasstech.com/lab__kits.htm

This is a typical kit for use in the teaching labs for 1st year university organic chemistry in the US. UGT makes or sells good glass. In my experience it is heavy walled. In some cases when I ordered from them they sent me better glass, like Wilmad.

If the price is too high look for a similar kit on eBay, new or used. I think they come up fairly regularly. Another, perhaps better option, would be to assemble your own kit by buying the individual items from Dr Bob. He has top quality glassware.

This kit, some beakers, and a heat source is most of what you need to be off and running in organic chemistry. If you would like to start out in inorganic chemistry to get some experience you won't need that kit. Some beakers, test tubes, bunsen burner, funnel, graduated cylinders, stirring rods, crystallizing dish, etc will do.

Also, of utmost importance, is a good, secure place to experiment and store your chemicals. If you don't have a fume hood many of your experiments may need to be conducted outside.

Jumping into chemistry without formal training and experience can be a little tough I imagine. But with your enthusiasm and willingness to study you can go a long way. Safety is another concern for someone with no training. You'll have to make up for that by using a lot of common sense.

[Edited on 8-7-2013 by Magpie]

batsman
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 14:07

Check this out.
http://www.laboyglass.com/lab-kit/chemistry-distilling-set-2...

ncluding;
1.500ml round bottom flask
2.1000ml round bottom flask
3. Thermometer three-way adapter
4. Vaccum take-off adapter
5.200mm distilling condenser\
6.0-300°C range thermometer
7.4-pcs plastic joint
All the joints abover are 24/40

The price is great, i actually think that im going to order it tonight. I want to do some reactions sometime in the future. So im getting single and multi-neck flasks for reactions. In the sizes, 25, 50, 100, 250 ml.
Would you maybe advice me to get another type flask thats good to have? Flat bottom or pear shape flasks or something?

If i would get some basic fractional distillation and reflux parts. Which ones would it be? Vigreux column for fractional.
For reflux, i guess that a reflux condenser, like this http://www.laboyglass.com/reflux-condenser-large-cooling-cap... would be a start? Anything else, or do fractional distilllation and reflux require just the pieces i wrote?

Found this site. So now i don´t have to bother you anymore. :)

I think im getting ahead of myself, im will try to get the vacuum distillation setup going first. :)

Thanx mate. :)
batsman
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 14:26

Im back! :) Just kidding, i forgot to ask. The Soxhlet extractor stands alone, right? Its not connected to the distilling apparatus, right?

I can choose between 34/45, 45/50 and 55/50.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 14:31

I don't have a "reflux" condenser per se - my regular West condenser that came with my kit works just fine for reflux.

The second column you see in the UGT kit is a Liebig condenser. This should have been a Hempel column as it is in my kit, IMO. The Hempel is used as the fractional distillation column, and has 3 indents to support the packing. It is used in combination with the West condenser for fractional distillation.

The fractional distillation column requires a packing like broken glass or a ss scrub pad. You can make the broken glass by smashing a used food jar. The ss scrub pad can be obtained very cheaply at your local hardware store. This column will be better than a Vigreux column for fractional distillation.

The Laboy prices are quite low. I cannot comment on the quality of Laboy glassware as I have none. But I think several other members do own it.

Edit2:

This Laboy kit looks like it has the right equipment, IMO. Looking close by mouse at the "distillation" column I do see what looks like an indent for the packing support. I don't know if they have this in 19/22 also.

To be fair to UGT, that's probably what they have for a distillation column in their kit also. They just call it a Liebig condenser, as it indeed can be used as a condenser.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Organic-chemistry-lab-glassware-...

But, again, I don't know anything about Laboy's quality.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top