Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What exactly is produced when copper is added to a mixture of vinegar, H2O2, and NaCL table salt?
Terminus_Est
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 14:09
What exactly is produced when copper is added to a mixture of vinegar, H2O2, and NaCL table salt?

I know that copper acetate is produced when copper is added to a mixture of just vinegar and peroxide, but what about salt?

So today in a small 16 oz jar I made a really saturated solution of vinegar and salt and added pieces of copper wire to it and then poured some hydrogen peroxide into the mix. Then I noticed a vigorous reaction in which the peroxide was consumed quicker than what I've normally observed with a plain vinegar/H2O2 mix. The solution turned blue-green rather quickly also. But I want to know is that when NaCL is added, does it affect the end product in any way or is it merely just catalyzing the reaction and decomposition of H2O2 without getting consumed?

[Edited on 8-7-2013 by Terminus_Est]
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 16:43

The chlorine is forming a complex around the copper, helping to solvate it. There's lot of material on this board about this system, in part because of the copper/chloride system as an etchant for printed circuit boards.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 16:50

how to clean copper pots....

you will get copper in solution as much as the vinegar will allow, what it does from there is messy. equilibrium between the following should occur.

NaCl solubility 359 g/100ml
CuCl2 solubility 75.7 g/100 mL (25 °C
NaOAc sol 46.4 g/100 mL (20 °C)
Cu(OAc)2 sol 7.2 g/100 mL cold
20 g/100 mL (hot water) all sol data from wiki

NaCl being the most soluble of all, I would think the equilibrium would be favored by NaCl + Cu(OAc)2 predominantly. but you would still have notable contamination of NaOAc + CuCl2 *I think*. equilibrium stuff was a WHILE ago for me so this is best I can do, and subject to error.

@ watson, does the equilibrium I speak of exist enough to be a prob? or am I dead wrong and the Cl- stays w/ Na+ only? like I stated it has been a while
Terminus_Est
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 11:23

@ violet

So both copper chloride and acetate are formed is that right? If so is there any way the copper chloride can be separated out of the whole mess?
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 11:34

Lol, ok guys, making copper chloride is much easier than this.

1) Buy copper sulfate (Super cheap chemical!! 10 pounds of it!)
2) Precipitate with sodium carbonate (Baking soda that has been decomposed, also very cheap).
3) Isolate and rinse off sodium sulphate (filter)
4) React CuCO3 with storebought HCl
5) Boil off water and excess HCl (Outside, obviously)

Separating copper acetate and copper chloride will not happen. Why waste time, money, and resources for something so cheap and abundant?

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm
Terminus_Est
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 13:08

Yes I know that there are quicker and easier methods to making CuCl2 but right now I am more interested in exploring the science and using what I already have available to me.

[Edited on 9-7-2013 by Terminus_Est]

Go To Top