Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What kind of vacuum pump is suitable for a 24/40 setup?
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 08:08

Is two phase vacuum pump overkill for distillation vacuum? For what types of distillations people generally use two phases? The price difference between the two in ebay is so small I'd consider one.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 09:23

Depends on the bp of the distillate. If you are distilling something that boils at 150 C at STP, then a simple vacuum pump might work fine. If you are trying to distill something with a bp of 250C, then you may need to get a better pump. Like cars, the ability of a pump is not linear with price, so paying 10 times more does not get you a 10X better vacuum, but might get you a mixture of higher vacuum, more capacity, and longer lifetime. So you have to comparison shop and find the best deal for what you are doing. Most people won't need a 2 stage pump unless doing some serious work or high BP distillation. But it will take an hour or more to do one, so the pump needs to work that long before it overheats or breaks. I have seen some where I was not confident that it would last that long-I would skip those discount models, you need one rated for continuous use.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 09:41

I have aspirator and 1-stage pump, and the 1-stage has been somewhat decent, but I was thinking if I need to distill some 200C+ bp liquids, I could use the 2-stage for them. I'm not sure if they are suited for very long runs, the pump I already have sometimes makes occasional "chokes" when I run it for more than hour, but other than that it doen't seem to take itself. It heats as all electric motors, but being only warm to touch it should just do it's thing.

Only thing I'm worried as how to protect the pump from all kinds of contaminants. If there are any solvents, acids or something else the pump doesn't like it. A method could be to strip lower bp residues with aspirator and then procceed to 2-stage when nothing comes over. I only can use CaCl2 ice bath at 30-35 minus C for cold trap.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 13:03

I just got done using a $200 vacuum pump from Autozone and it performed FAR worse than any of the 4 compressors I took old AC's, heat pumps, dehumidifiers, etc. The lowest the $200 pump could get was -25 or -26mm Hg while the compressors/pumps could pull down to -27 to -28.5 and they were all FREE! I'd be really interested in if there would be any benefit putting all of these in parallel, or in some kind of series/parallel mix to see if I can get an even greater reduction in pressure.

These are great for filtering liquids and ther may be some issues with vapors getting into the compressor, but you can put a dryer or AC in front of the pump among numberous other things. I never did this though and they are still going strong for 5-10 years.

You can pick these up for $5-10 from some appliance scrappers, places that sell/service appliances, HVAC, craigslist, etc. I see no reason to spend the $$ on a real vacuum pump unless you need to get down to micron levels (below 50 microns that is) , which will probably cost you $800-$5000+ for a pump that can do that.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top