Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Using UV-VIS to determine purity?
amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: Excited

[*] posted on 17-7-2013 at 21:54
Using UV-VIS to determine purity?

I have found a couple of nice Spectronic 20 spectrophotometers on ebay recently, and I was wondering if besides their use in inorganic quantitative analysis, they could be used to qualitatively determine the purity of organic compounds. My thoughts were that since these instruments work by comparison with a blank, one could take a reagent whose purity is known, zero out the instrument, and then look at the sample for any discrepancies in absorbance/transmittance. Am I correct in thinking this?

Always remember to check your pride at the door and ask that "stupid" question. Learning comes from having your "stupid" questions answered.
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 03:00

If you are researching pigments, I guess so but the majority of organic compounds hardly absorb light in the visible part of the spectrum (they appear white/colorless), and as such cannot be detected in that way.

If you have conjugated systems in your molecule, there will be absorbance in the UV, but that is not very specific. I.e. if the impurities also have conjugated systems, they will have broad absorbance peaks in the UV as well.
Often, because the tail of these broad peaks extends a bit into the blue part of the visible light spectrum, many such compounds are yellow or yellowish.

So, in summary, for organic compounds I don't think it work for this purpose unless you are interested specifically in compounds with characteristic absorbances in the UV-VIS range.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 04:19

If you're simply looking for a rough qualitative test for impurities, try melting point.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 10:44

Yes, unless you are RB Woodward, the UV-Vis will be useful only for specific tasks. Some organics absorb as certain frequencies, like DNA, which can be characteristic, but most organics absorb similarly, so impurities might absorb similarly to the desired compound. if you have a solution of a pure compound, they can be useful for determining concentration, but not so much purity. Look up Beer's law in Google for more info. (The chemist Beer, not the law about people looking more attractive after frat parties...)
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 13:13

In the lab where I used to work, we used UV-VIS to calculate concentrations of pigments. Typically, what happens is that you take a chemically pure sample (from Sigma or something) and perform a serial dilution. The known concentrations are analyzed at a certain wavelength (it might be useful to do a full-spectrum scan and look for prominent peaks). Linear regression is used to generate an equation into which the absorbance can directly be substituted to give the concentration.

Unfortunately, when you have a very impure mashup of compounds, you will end up with a messy spectrum, and there is no way of knowing if the given absorabance is due to possible augmentation or detraction to the absorbance (at a particular wavelength) by impurities.

UV-VIS does work great for reasonably pure, highly colored pigments as well as for measuring the density of cells in culture.
amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: Excited

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 20:49

Beer's Law was what I meant by "inorganic quantitative analysis applications" :) I know you can even determine pH colorimetrically. I was looking for an "extra bonus" to do with organic compounds and UV VIS :)

Always remember to check your pride at the door and ask that "stupid" question. Learning comes from having your "stupid" questions answered.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2013 at 06:24

It also works well for "organic quantitative analysis applications", but mostly when the material is mostly pure, but diluted somehow. I am just saying that it is not much use for qualitative purity assessments, except in very specific applications where you know a lot about the possible impurities.

Go To Top