Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: A project everyone can pitch in on! Writing the book on chemistry.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 28-9-2004 at 08:38

It looks like the whole server is down, even the main site that I bought the webspace from, oxhosting.com is down. Hopefully this is just temporary.

And yes, I do plan on including something on fume hoods, I was leading into it in the gasses section but I haven't got to writing it yet.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2004 at 05:54

Quote:
A guaranteed 99.9% uptime for your website, high quality Dual Xeon servers, daily server backups and a support team ready to answer any question 24 hours a day.

Hummm... after 36 hours my website is finally back up, as is the main site for the hosting company which was also down. Maybe it's 99.9% uptime over the course of a lifetime? Anyway, people wanting to look at the progress can once again do so.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 17:48

I've been working on the molten salt electrolysis section lately and figured it would be nice to toss in some of those good old diagrams that I always like to see when thinking about electrolysis, e.g., the origional diagram for a Castner cell from Castner's origional patent from the late 1800's and some other old pictures. Basically I was just wondering what the cutoff is for copywrited material to be sure to be in public domain.

I think this was actually answered elsewhere on sciencemadness but I haven't been able to find it.

Anyway, the work continues.

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 19:59

This was discussed at the Hive recently, albeit in a different sort of situation:

https://www.the-hive.ws/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Number=51...

If you aren't selling anything, I don't think that you would attract attention.

EDIT: I am pointing out fair use, where public domain is a moot point - not answering Bromic's question.

[Edited on 6-10-2004 by S.C. Wack]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2004 at 20:12

Actually I was specifically looking for something like this:

http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/training/Hirtle_Public_Doma...

TheFire
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 12:50

I must say, this is an extremely valuable resource for those of us who are just getting started with these things. It seems to be the amateur chemistry equivalent to the AARL (a do-it-all guide for ham radio).

Thanks!

As an aside, has anyone considered setting up a wiki for this sort of information? In motivated communities, they tend to perform very well as repositories for useful information such as this...

[Edited on 11-10-2004 by TheFire]
Oxydro
Hazard to Others

Mood: distracted

[*] posted on 12-10-2004 at 18:47

Nitpicking a sentence in your book, sorry if this sounds bad, I'm not criticising.... The statement "Lithium perchlorate actually contains more oxygen, gram for gram, then liquid oxygen" seems wrong to me. How can something containing only oxygen have less oxygen than something also containing lithium and chlorine? I assume it was volume not mass that was intended.

You have a very impressive resource there, Bromic. Keep up the good work. BTW, I have scanned "The Organic Chem Lab Survival Manual" by James Zubrick, which makes a nice complement to your work. Didn't see it on the FTP, hope I didn't just miss it, or I wasted a lot of time.... as soon as I have time I'll PDF it and upload :).
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-10-2004 at 18:49

It contains more oxygen gram for gram because... it's magic!

No, I just made a mistake, writing most of it from memory. It should be on a volume to volume basis or something along those lines, I'll be sure to fix it soon.

BromicAcid
International Hazard

smile.gif posted on 19-11-2004 at 23:36

Since my last post here I've updated the material twice, although this most recent time tonight was really small. Started writing on titrations but really don't like the way it's turning out. I've got all the links in the HTML version but they don't all work, started heavy into the molten salt electrolysis but really haven't gotten anywhere, took out the experimental procedure with nickel to form nickel oxalate, started writing a number of the other sections, did some major work on gasses, but nothing is anywhere near done, i.e., it's still a major work in progress. Just wanted everyone to know I haven't given up, just buckling under the load of school work. Probably will get some massive updating done during December when I go on break for almost three weeks. As always, contributions are welcome.

HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-11-2004 at 12:14

About the chemical compatibilities, here are two links.
http://www.spectrumchemical.com/retail/default.asp Thrier free catalogue has a nice section of chemical compatibilities.
http://www.unitednuclear.com/database.htm They have some compatibilities too.

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 21:58

Since I last posted here I've updated about four or five times. I've been trying for once a month but I didn't make febuary so I managed one today. The project is approximately 150 pages in pdf and a download of about 2.4 meg that way, the HTML is comparable with pictures. I would say it is between 25 and 35% complete. As usual anyone who wants to write any section for it will be given credit at the end just like everyone else who has already contributed and any works for it will be accepted with glee although they may be subjet to some editing.

If you go to the page for the book project the complete sections listing is at the bottom and they are color coded to show how much has been written for each section, several of the ones toward the bottom are in red showing that nothing has been written for them yet, but there are many others that could use some more information.

Note, I keep getting asked this, the book is not up for editing yet. Yes, if you see some information that is grossly wrong then you can point it out, but it's too far from completion to point out that the melting point of tin is 232 C when I might have 230 C listed ;)

BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2005 at 17:37

There are several sections in my book project that I am dreading writing for the simple reason that I am nowhere near experienced enough nor confident enough to write, I've decided to post a list of the sections that I am asking for help specifically on, no rush as usual, just putting out my requests:

Le Chatelier's Principle (And driving forces in general that are important to an at home chemist)

Furnaces (Axehandle, Cyrus... I'm looking at you two ;))
(a) Gas Fired
(b) Electric
(c) Charcoal

Solvent/Solvent extraction Systems (I'm firmilar with them but suck at knowing when they would be useful)

Also I know someone could do a section on Organic Functional groups better then I could.

As always the book project is on my page and if you go there the progress is evident by scrolling down the page related to it, subjects in red have not even been started yet so don't hesitate to help.

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 22-3-2005 at 20:45

Quote:
Originally posted by BromicAcid
Furnaces (Axehandle, Cyrus... I'm looking at you two ;))

/me waves his hand.

I'm also working on arc and induction heating methods.

Tim
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Cyrus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-4-2005 at 09:56
My section is close to being "done"....

Let's see, I'll have some stuff on
-materials
-furnace design
-commercial refractories
-homebrew refractories
-using wood, charcoal, and oil
-crucible stuff

How would you like the stuff formatted and sent to you, BromicAcid? I have some word documents and excel documents... have I asked this before?:)

Oh, the book project site appears to be down currently.

Cyrus

BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2005 at 10:19

Yeah, I noticed my site went down yesterday, I actually think I exceeded bandwith this month, I figured it would be close. Anyway, *.doc or *.html work well for me, if they're in excel format I can get out what I need as I have excel too. Looking foreward to your submission!

Kamisama
Harmless

Mood: SilentButDeadly

[*] posted on 2-5-2005 at 14:17

If all goes wrong and you run out of bandwidth and serverspace you could make it a wikibook.

However, I think it would be very interesting to see macromedia flash within a tutorial. I have some skills in digital art, but not enough chemistry skills.

If someone were to send me drawing and ideas I could compile a simple chemical reaction or tutorial possibly.

Or if you need something like a digital image or something simple modified/calibrated/cleaned up, just send it to my email at shuujin@gmail.com

I found many errors. Someone should run this through Microsoft Word.

Nobel does not equal Noble.
Gasses does not equal Gases.

There are tons of typos and grammatical errors... :o

[Edited on 2-5-2005 by Kamisama]

Reddi whip is funny. ^_^
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 2-5-2005 at 14:52

What the hell? You've got some bloody nerve.

Macromedia flash has nothing to do with this. Furthermore, spend some time on your own sorry excuses for posts before badmouthing this unique project, will ya? :mad:

[Edited on 2-5-2005 by vulture]

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Kamisama
Harmless

Mood: SilentButDeadly

sad.gif posted on 2-5-2005 at 17:31

I didn't mean anything bad by what I said. I help with wikipedia and wikibooks. I was just saying it would be a good idea to run it through MS Word.. :(

Reddi whip is funny. ^_^
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 2-5-2005 at 18:43

You may be incurring some wrath from the Linux users here by speaking of MS as the only thing in existence that will spell-check. In the future, just refer to a generic spell checker.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2005 at 18:44

This whole book was written in MS word and that is actually the reason for
Quote:
Nobel does not equal Noble.
Gasses does not equal Gases.
As MS word autocorrects to whatever I have it spelled closest to and it appears I cannot spell those consistently enough. If this were not composed in some word processing program I would have to commend myself for the lack of errors overall. Yes, there is a lot wrong with it, but it's 165 pages of text, much of it coming from the 'top of my head' but there is a large amount generated by members here and there is a good portion that I have personally researched.

A flash movie of some of the important points such as setting up a distillation apparatus would be interesting but it wouldn't carry over to the PDF which according to the statistics most people look at and additionally I believe for now that efforts should be focused not an aesthetic effects but instead on the content of the book. By my estimates it is 20% done.

BTW, the book is back up
Quote:
As you have notice our services were unavailable for a period of time. This happened due to a massive attack directed to our servers, to protect the integrity of our data we had to unplug the servers to avoid further problems. You should be able to access your sites without problems now.

We're deeply sorry for this.
This is the second time this has happened, I hope it doesn't happen again.

BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 17:55

The book continues to grow, yay!

I went through and read most of it today looking it over and writing up a list of things that need to be added to and such, during that time I made a list of pictures I would like to add, a majority of which I would like to set up but I am posting my request sheet here as well as some I cannot setup (I have no iodine) and some I would just like some help with. It's in html format so just look it over when you get a chance and see if you have any matching pictures in your archive of pictures. Of course donate a picture and get credit, please, origional content.

Also does anyone have an idea for a main picture for the book project? Maybe a real life version of the SM logo, using sodium covering strontium to get that perfect color flame on ignition in the background ;)

Attachment: wantedpictures.htm (6kB)
This file has been downloaded 2007 times

The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 18:10

I have a cracked bomex flask which is perfect for "Picture of something in soda-lime glass heated on a hotplate that shattered from it". It's good to teach the reader while they are beginning what is a bad brand of glassware.:P

"Picture of apparatus (such as gas washing line) constructed from OTC soda-lime glass jars and such"-Applesauce jar gas generating apparatus and prune sauce gas washing bottle.

"Picture of a titration in action, preferably with a nice color indicator and a burette"- I can set up a simple phenolphthalien NaOH HCl titration with all the proper glass.

"Pictures of fluorine, chlorine, and especially iodine of which I have none"-Like the idea of one of iodine vapour?

"Pictures of elements, every element is covered in the index and if you have a good picture of any of them send it on over!"- I have some manganese metal that was purchased years ago that might be something otherwise had to find.

I will hopefully email you most of these later tomorow if you want. Seven megapixels good enough for you? ;) Also, what do you want in terms of backgrounds for these pictures?

[Edited on 5-5-2005 by rogue chemist]

BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 18:18

That sounds great, seven megapixels is plenty, my camera only has 1.3 mega pixels, as for background, the only pre-rec is that you can tell what is going on the foreground and that it is not hard on your eyes, oh, and no big corporation things in the background, like, don't do these reactions in a McDonalds and get the arches in focus, though I don't think Firsher or Aldrich would care much if you got something that had their logo in the picture.

Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 18:30

Hey! I posted a copper Liebig condensor here on the board times ago! It´s yours!

/ORG

Irgendwas is ja immer
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 18:44

Technically, Bomex is a borosilicate glass. Although it is cheap garbage, it should still have decent chemical resistance.

How are these?

Distilling glassware

Bromine (Change the 7 in the address to change the size of the picture.)

I have some iodine in a nice ampoule resembling the bromine one. Do you want me to take a picture of that?
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top