Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Called by the police for glassware
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 9-11-2013 at 16:50

Exactly the same thing happened to me.... Order glass,customs flagged it and policemen pay a visit...seems this is becoming very common here in aus.seems absurd but I guess if they don't check who is buying it Walter white could be let free to continue cooking meth! I was also able to keep it but it makes me wonder if it is so red hot to own then why not just ban it?

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Ramium
Hazard to Others

Mood: Licit fish

[*] posted on 2-3-2015 at 22:59

I recently bought a distillation kit from laboy glass. When it arived in the country the police called my mum and asked lots of questions about what i was using it for. we had to fill in a form.then they let us have the gear.:)

Darkstar
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 3-3-2015 at 00:53

Quote: Originally posted by Ramium  
I recently bought a distillation kit from laboy glass. When it arived in the country the police called my mum and asked lots of questions about what i was using it for. we had to fill in a form.then they let us have the gear.:)

Next time tell those morons that it's for steam distilling safrole and manufacturing MDMA. I mean, what else is a 13-year-old going to do with a distillation kit?

For fuck's sake... Their little "interrogation" should've ended the second your mom told the police your age.

Oscilllator
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-3-2015 at 01:58

Quote: Originally posted by Ramium  

A while back in this thread I posted about how I was planning to order a large kit from laboy, and as it turns out I actually went ahead with it. But before I ordered it I rang up several government agencies before being put on to a very serious agent who I then sent a email to explaining what I was planning to buy and promising not to cook meth with it.
He told me that because EUD's are an Australian piece of legislation china doesn't have to comply, and so you can't fill out an EUD. If you ask me, this is rather convenient for the authorities because then they can mumble on about you not filling out the proper paperwork when in fact it is impossible for you to do so. However the agent did say that if the glassware did get picked up at customs, this exchange of emails should show that I at least tried to do the right thing. I never did end up signing any paperwork or filling out any forms though, which is a plus I guess.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 3-3-2015 at 08:56

Quote: Originally posted by NeonPulse  
Exactly the same thing happened to me.... Order glass,customs flagged it and policemen pay a visit...seems this is becoming very common here in aus.seems absurd but I guess if they don't check who is buying it Walter white could be let free to continue cooking meth! I was also able to keep it but it makes me wonder if it is so red hot to own then why not just ban it?

How is it that Australian customs seems to catch so much at the border, while here in the USA you hear reports of how much gets through compared to how little is actually caught?

What is done differently, or is it a difference in the amount of inbound packages?

[Edited on 3-3-2015 by Loptr]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 3-3-2015 at 14:05

Aus is a lot sharper is all.

More common sense is involved with stuff they consider Important.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 3-3-2015 at 14:37

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
Quote: Originally posted by NeonPulse  

How is it that Australian customs seems to catch so much at the border, while here in the USA you hear reports of how much gets through compared to how little is actually caught?

What is done differently, or is it a difference in the amount of inbound packages?

[Edited on 3-3-2015 by Loptr]

One look at the prices of drugs in Australia should answer the question.
10 times that of the global average.

In the US Glass is not illegal. Neither is intent to loiter...

A-holes that order China precursors or watch list items plus glassware will have some explaining to do but glass, and acetone are NOT illegal here.

Does anyone else find it odd that you can walk to the hardware, buy a 10lb ingot of lead, a pound of smokeless powder, and a hundred primers,
Yet this discussion is really happening?

Glass?????

Perspective guys... It changes at home. ;)

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2015 at 15:00

Well, it kind of like another story I heard about a long time ago. People sell drugs in little baggies, so the authorities got the bright idea to outlaw the little baggies. LOL!

I don't know where this was, but it was a locality law.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 3-3-2015 at 15:08

Perhaps in the Bronx, N.Y.

They have too much to deal with to chase a preteen thru alleys, and across traffic.

Take away the baggies, and you slow them down for a few weeks...
Take away tennis shoes, and the kids will be easier to catch.

Hell, Land mine the sidewalks, and, well you get the idea...

Zom.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 09:23

Australia is a much smaller country than the United States, both in terms of land mass/borders, and population. This makes the logistics of monitoring imports much more feasible. When you have neighboring countries joined by land, it can also make it more difficult to intercept contraband since you have coastlines and foot traffic.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 12:24

Quote: Originally posted by Chemosynthesis  
Australia is a much smaller country than the United States, both in terms of land mass/borders, and population. This makes the logistics of monitoring imports much more feasible. When you have neighboring countries joined by land, it can also make it more difficult to intercept contraband since you have coastlines and foot traffic.

Yeah, when you think about it, it makes sense.

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  

One look at the prices of drugs in Australia should answer the question.
10 times that of the global average.

In the US Glass is not illegal. Neither is intent to loiter...

A-holes that order China precursors or watch list items plus glassware will have some explaining to do but glass, and acetone are NOT illegal here.

Does anyone else find it odd that you can walk to the hardware, buy a 10lb ingot of lead, a pound of smokeless powder, and a hundred primers,
Yet this discussion is really happening?

Glass?????

Perspective guys... It changes at home. ;)

I think it is a sign of desperation.

And remember, in certain states, if you have acetone, and intend to produce methamphetamine, you will get charged for the acetone, as well. Or at least that's how it is in my state, apparently, as I just read the law. Not to mention about nine other common acids/solvents, including 1,1,1-trichloroethane (really?).

And us 'mericans loves our guns, you stand back now, ya' hear? ;-)

Just ask any gun advocate about the M855 ban... I need my steel-tipped rounds! I have this ex-military guy that sits beside me at work that won't stop talking about it.

[Edited on 4-3-2015 by Loptr]

[Edited on 4-3-2015 by Loptr]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 12:51

Australia is a much smaller country than the United States, both in terms of land mass/borders, and population.

Area of Aus is 78% that of the USA.

Population of Aus is 7% that of the USA.

Only the population is much smaller, the area is reasonably close.

Thanks Google !

Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 14:19

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Australia is a much smaller country than the United States, both in terms of land mass/borders, and population.

Area of Aus is 78% that of the USA.

Population of Aus is 7% that of the USA.

Only the population is much smaller, the area is reasonably close.

Thanks Google !

Interesting. When I searched it, the USA was noted as 1.28148148148 times the square area of Australia, which makes Australia <72% the area of the USA, give or take by my figures. Good point, though. I falsely assumed that did not include territories, but still consider nearly the additional as relatively large, though I should have quantified that.

In terms of borders, though, it is clear the USA has more to watch than Australia. The USA has 5,525 miles of border with Canada, 1,989 miles with Mexico, and an additional 95,000 miles of shoreline compared with Australia's 22,292 miles of mainland coastline, and 14,825 miles of perimeter island coastline. Figures from CBP and google, respectively. This gives the USA 2.76191502546ish times the border length.

Additionally, the US has imports of US$2.357 trillion, much higher than Australia's total value of imports: US$200.4 billion

and more in line with the population. Obviously the population difference is in excess of 10x.

Numbers: Australia area=2.97 million sq miles
United States area=3.806 million sq miles

Above two from Google.

[Edited on 4-3-2015 by Chemosynthesis]
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 20:42

I forget what the point of this thread was...

Let me say this.

If I have a 55 gallon drum, and twenty pounds of sugar in florida (where I live) I can be arrested.
Just for that!

I work on boats, and build boats.
Right now , at this very second I have approx. 40 gallons of HCl, and 30 gallons of acetone in my shed.
I have amine acids flowing out my ass........ If I buy a case of Mason jars, and a one pound block of yeast I risk loosing my house.

It's WAY easier for me to make METH, than 24 dozen muffins for the high schools bake sale.

You tell me exactly how important this freegin conversation is!

FTP

Zom.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 09:27

I forget what the point of this thread was...

Let me say this.

If I have a 55 gallon drum, and twenty pounds of sugar in florida (where I live) I can be arrested.
Just for that!

I work on boats, and build boats.
Right now , at this very second I have approx. 40 gallons of HCl, and 30 gallons of acetone in my shed.
I have amine acids flowing out my ass........ If I buy a case of Mason jars, and a one pound block of yeast I risk loosing my house.

It's WAY easier for me to make METH, than 24 dozen muffins for the high schools bake sale.

You tell me exactly how important this freegin conversation is!

FTP

You say that, but I am not entirely convinced that is the case. I live in good 'ol Virginia, and for a few years of my life was in the Appalachian region for schooling, fiance, work, etc., and knew a few people that did have their own moonshine stills. There was this one developer I knew that was pretty crazy, and was more suited to living at the top of a mountain than for writing code.

I don't think they would even be at risk if they were found with mason jars and yeast... even in a county that was known for that sort of thing.

So explain how you could lose your house if you got caught with yeast? ;)

[Edited on 5-3-2015 by Loptr]

http://americanhomedistillers.com/home-distilling-laws-is-it...

I don't see anything about having 55 gallon drums, sugar, yeast, and mason jars.... Perhaps if you had a... still ;) but otherwise, you would seem to be in the right with your sugar and yeast.

You can however, in Florida, distill ethanol for the purpose of using as fuel. I believe that you just have to denature it, such as with gasoline, but it must be very dry first, otherwise, it will form two phases.

[Edited on 5-3-2015 by Loptr]
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 09:43

It's similar to the Analog act.

In Florida if you have anything resembling a still of ANY size that is ok.

If you have this still, and twenty pounds of sugar... Done deal.
They ASSUME you are making hootch, seize your property (where the still / sugar are located, and arrest you. No if's and's or but's.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Displ...

562.27 Seizure and forfeiture.—
(1) It is unlawful for any person to have in her or his possession, custody, or control, or to own, make, construct, or repair, any still, still piping, still apparatus, or still worm, or any piece or part thereof, designed or adapted for the manufacture of an alcoholic beverage, or to have in her or his possession, custody or control any receptacle or container containing any mash, wort, or wash, or other fermented liquids whatever capable of being distilled or manufactured into an alcoholic beverage, unless such possession, custody, control, ownership, manufacture, construction, or repairing be by or for a person authorized by law to manufacture such alcoholic beverage.
(2) It is unlawful for any person to have in her or his possession, custody, or control any raw materials or substance intended to be used in the distillation or manufacturing of an alcoholic beverage unless the person holds a license from the state authorizing the manufacture of the alcoholic beverage.
(3) The terms “raw material” or “substance” for the purpose of this chapter shall mean and include, but not be limited to, any of the following: Any grade or type of sugar, syrup, or molasses derived from sugarcane, sugar beets, corn, sorghum, or any other source; starch; potatoes; grain or cornmeal, corn chops, cracked corn, rye chops, middlings, shorts, bran, or any other grain derivative; malt; malt sugar or malt syrup; oak chips, charred or not charred; yeast; cider; honey; fruit; grapes; berries; fruit, grape or berry juices or concentrates; wine; caramel; burnt sugar; gin flavor; Chinese bean cake or Chinese wine cake; urea; ammonium phosphate, ammonium carbonate, ammonium sulphate, or any other yeast food; ethyl acetate or any other ethyl ester; any other material of the character used in the manufacture of distilled spirits or any chemical or other material suitable for promoting or accelerating fermentation; any chemical or material of the character used in the production of distilled spirits by chemical reaction; or any combination of such materials or chemicals.
(4) Any such raw materials, substance, or any still, still piping, still apparatus, or still worm, or any piece or part thereof, or any mash, wort, or wash, or other fermented liquid and the receptacle or container thereof, and any alcoholic beverage, together with all personal property used to facilitate the manufacture or production of the alcoholic beverage or to facilitate the violation of the alcoholic beverage control laws of this state or the United States, may be seized by the division or by any sheriff or deputy sheriff and shall be forfeited to the state.
(5) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of raw materials or other substances knowing same are to be used in the distillation or manufacture of an alcoholic beverage unless such person receiving same, by purchase or otherwise, holds a license from the state authorizing the manufacture of such alcoholic beverage.
(6) Any vehicle, vessel, or aircraft used in the transportation or removal of or for the deposit or concealment of any illicit liquor still or stilling apparatus; any mash, wort, wash, or other fermented liquids capable of being distilled or manufactured into an alcoholic beverage; or any alcoholic beverage commonly known and referred to as “moonshine whiskey” shall be seized and may be forfeited as provided by the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act. Any sheriff, deputy sheriff, employee of the division, or police officer may seize any of the vehicles, vessels, or conveyances, and the same may be forfeited as provided by law.
(7) The finding of any still, still piping, still apparatus, or still worm, or any piece or part thereof, or any mash, wort, or wash or other fermented liquids in the dwelling house or place of business, or so near thereto as to lead to the reasonable belief that they are within the possession, custody, or control of the occupants of the dwelling house or place of business, shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section by the occupants of the dwelling house or place of business.
(8) Any person violating any provisions of this section of the law shall be guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
History.—s. 9, ch. 19301, 1939; CGL 1940 Supp. 4151(271q); s. 4, ch. 22669, 1945; s. 1, ch. 28073, 1953; s. 1, ch. 29804, 1955; s. 2, ch. 61-218; ss. 16, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 569, ch. 71-136; s. 2, ch. 72-230; s. 26, ch. 73-334; s. 6, ch. 74-385; s. 24, ch. 79-11; s. 6, ch. 80-68; s. 865, ch. 97-103.

Zom.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 09:55

You can however, in Florida, distill ethanol for the purpose of using as fuel. I believe that you just have to denature it, such as with gasoline, but it must be very dry first, otherwise, it will form two phases.

I think this is a federal allowance and you must get a permit from the feds to do this. I have a friend who obtained this permit. It wasn't too much bother.

As a side note, my friend says he does not distill in the open in his backyard. He's afraid that the nosey neighbors would gossip and otherwise make a fuss or stir up trouble about this. So sad.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 10:01

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  

I think this is a federal allowance and you must get a permit from the feds to do this. I have a friend who obtained this permit. It wasn't too much bother.

As a side note, my friend says he does not distill in the open in his backyard. He's afraid that the nosey neighbors would gossip and otherwise make a fuss or stir up trouble about this. So sad.

You're both right. It's a fuel ethanol permit, and you can make up to 10k gallons per year.

Proper zoning, permits apply.

Zom.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 13:17

You're both right. It's a fuel ethanol permit, and you can make up to 10k gallons per year.

Thank you, both. I didn't know that you had to get a permit. After the moonshine thumper thread, I purchased a 6 gallon fermentation bucket to attempt my first fermentation with the intention of doing... something. My conclusion was that if you denature it right away, that you would be within the confines of the law, but if there is bias the part of the police, you could end up going in anyway.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 13:42

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro  
You got off lucky!
get to know them, invite them in for coffee,... we always have copes over for coffe, it has gotten so frequent we just always have a pot of coffee on, and you wouldn't believe how much we get away with.
I had left a small baggie of sodium thiosulfate on the table and cop came by, could you imagine how bad that could have turned out? all they did was say:''OOh, look. meth!" and I corrected them and they believed me (though it has disappeared now, :o?)

Is there something specifically wrong with sodium thiosulfate? Just curious.
These stories are sad to me. They're the things that can ruin a life.

Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 13:44

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
You got off lucky!
get to know them, invite them in for coffee,... we always have copes over for coffe, it has gotten so frequent we just always have a pot of coffee on, and you wouldn't believe how much we get away with.
I had left a small baggie of sodium thiosulfate on the table and cop came by, could you imagine how bad that could have turned out? all they did was say:''OOh, look. meth!" and I corrected them and they believed me (though it has disappeared now, :o?)

Sodium thiosulfate crystals look like meth crystals.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 14:10

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
You got off lucky!

You forgot to say SWIM told me! ;)

Zom.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 14:13

Thank you, both. I didn't know that you had to get a permit. After the moonshine thumper thread, I purchased a 6 gallon fermentation bucket to attempt my first fermentation with the intention of doing... something. My conclusion was that if you denature it right away, that you would be within the confines of the law, but if there is bias the part of the police, you could end up going in anyway.

Distilling any alcohol without the pre approved fuel permit can end up badly.

Many municipalities are making examples of cases in the US due solely to that "Moonshiners" TV show.

It's a new line in the sand kinda thing.

Zom.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 14:53

You got off lucky!

You forgot to say SWIM told me! ;)

What, the hexagonal prism shape? Darn, and that was my favorite crystalline structure.
At least my Sodium Thiosulfate is anhydrous and in a reagent container.

Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 15:35

Hardly.

708989988_043.jpg - 58kBmethamphetamine5.jpg - 56kB

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top