Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DHS guide to Unconventional Biological Laboratories
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 07:19
DHS guide to Unconventional Biological Laboratories

I couldn't find this posted anywhere and thought it might be of interest, particularly to the security-minded. It's the US Dept. of Homeland Securtity guide to assessing laboratories outside of the mainstream. If you're concerned that yours might be mistaken for a drug cook or a WMD lab, this is a worthwhile resource to see what the regulators and enforcers are looking for.

http://publicintelligence.net/ufouo-dhs-lawrence-livermore-u...

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Sublimatus
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 07:29

Thank you for posting this.

I wish it was a bit more detailed and oriented toward chemistry, rather than biology, but it's interesting to read that some law enforcement groups deviate from the zero-tolerance, "it must be drugs or bombs and illegal" mindset.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 08:29

If the officials need an explanation of
"Why E. Coli is Not Necessarily a Red Flag"

Which says
"The presence of or reference to the bacteria Escherichia coli (or E. coli) at a suspect location may or may not
be indicative of malicious intent. On their own, certain strains of E. coli could be used as a bioterror agent
because they cause sickness in humans, most notably food poisoning. On the other hand, E. coli is a very
commonly used tool in microbiological development. For example, E. coli is used to grow DNA, produce
proteins, and in genetically engineering genes. (Growth of other types of bacteria for these legitimate purposes
is unlikely, except when testing antibiotics.) In its role as a tool rather than an end product, E. coli can be used
when developing other dangerous pathogens. For example, creating antibiotic-resistant anthrax uses genetic
engineering techniques that require an antibiotic resistance gene that would be grown in E. coli"

without mentioning that it's very commonly present in people's guts then they need better officials.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 12:06

All that's missing is the know how. This is the reason for invading Iraq the second
time. Not that there ever existed any weapons , the objective was to eliminate the
source of knowledge which could be disseminated to stateless adversaries of the
U.S. in that region.

Plutonium239
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 09:40

"Tubes, beakers, and other containers used to hold liquid solutions are commonly found in molecular biology type labs and most other lab types."

It looks like the people who will decide whether you can keep your chemicals and equipment lack some of the most basic chemistry knowledge.
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 16:59

Quote: Originally posted by Plutonium239  
"Tubes, beakers, and other containers used to hold liquid solutions are commonly found in molecular biology type labs and most other lab types."

It looks like the people who will decide whether you can keep your chemicals and equipment lack some of the most basic chemistry knowledge.

So true. Much is fueled by bull-crap articles designed to create hysteria very similar to the pitchfork wielding villagers looking for Frankenstein. All in the name of ratings gained by completely unfounded stories and/or those in power looking to increase said power. I wanted to post this news story in a thread it better fit but alas it had been locked. As to E. Coli, the worst source I have encountered was from food I bought at a Jack in the Box I ate in 1974. Nearly was my end it made me so ill.

http://www.infowars.com/wal-mart-walgreens-found-selling-che...

This is bar none the worst example I have yet read. Maybe one of you chem gurus can do the math and indicate how many thousands of gallons of 'baby water' from Walmart one would need to buy and process to produce even one gram of NaF. No doubt a knee jerk unfounded by science reaction from these companies will prompt them to remove all alcohol and baby water from their shelves.

[Edited on 9-5-2013 by IrC]

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 18:56

I agree that this article is a gross misrepresentation designed to generate hysteria among the chemically uneducated, which is most people. Wal-Mart should sue him for libel.

The claim that really gets me is that all anyone has to do to buy PCl3 is submit an order to Sigma-Aldrich!

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
confused
Hazard to Others

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 04:34

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
The claim that really gets me is that all anyone has to do to buy PCl3 is submit an order to Sigma-Aldrich!

Hahaha, we all know thats simply not true :D

[Edited on 5-9-2013 by confused]

Go To Top