Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dangers of distilling acetic acid without the use of a fumehood?
GreenDao
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 17:59
Dangers of distilling acetic acid without the use of a fumehood?

What are the dangers of fractionally distilling (standard liebig-vigreux apparatus) acetic acid without a fumehood? What precautions should be taken without the usage of a fumehood?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 22:51

Acetic acid vapor is quite pungent. It is not really toxic, but if the concentration is too high it may be dangerous, due to its pungent nature.

If you have no fume hood, then assure there is good ventilation. As long as the smell becomes not too strong you are safe, but if you feel it is becoming pungent then it is time to leave the room.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 23:14

I love the smell of acetic acid! Since it isn't particulary toxic, the presence of acetic acid vapor shouldn't present a problem. You could do the distillation outside of you were worried, though. Personally I would distill it inside just to get the lovely vapors.

GreenDao
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 18:01

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Acetic acid vapor is quite pungent. It is not really toxic, but if the concentration is too high it may be dangerous, due to its pungent nature.

If you have no fume hood, then assure there is good ventilation. As long as the smell becomes not too strong you are safe, but if you feel it is becoming pungent then it is time to leave the room.

Quote: Originally posted by Oscilllator  
I love the smell of acetic acid! Since it isn't particulary toxic, the presence of acetic acid vapor shouldn't present a problem. You could do the distillation outside of you were worried, though. Personally I would distill it inside just to get the lovely vapors.

Thank you for the assurance, both of you! I will be doing it near an opening with a fan, a full face acid-gas mask, chemical resistant coveralls, butyl rubber gauntlets, etc.
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 20:23

I would say that was a little overkill, but better safe than sorry! -

Personally, I think you might want a gas mask, if you find the odors too obnoxious, but really its unneeded.
Fan is always good.
Should always wear overalls/coat, unless you hate your clothes. :P
Nitrile gloves are probably fine.

Good luck.

[Edited on 13-9-2013 by Finnnicus]

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 23:00

Wearing a full face acid gas mask for distilling acetic acid? That sounds like real overkill. What would your neighbours think if they see you with that gas mask? They would at least think that you are making some nerve gas or so :D

Just assure that your body is protected against splashes of hot liquid and if the acid is concentrated, then if you get some on your skin immediately rinse with cold water. Eye protection is a good thing to have, I consider that the most important in your case.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
GreenDao
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-9-2013 at 03:44

Quote: Originally posted by Finnnicus  
I would say that was a little overkill, but better safe than sorry! -

Personally, I think you might want a gas mask, if you find the odors too obnoxious, but really its unneeded.
Fan is always good.
Should always wear overalls/coat, unless you hate your clothes. :P
Nitrile gloves are probably fine.

Good luck.

[Edited on 13-9-2013 by Finnnicus]

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Wearing a full face acid gas mask for distilling acetic acid? That sounds like real overkill. What would your neighbours think if they see you with that gas mask? They would at least think that you are making some nerve gas or so :D

Just assure that your body is protected against splashes of hot liquid and if the acid is concentrated, then if you get some on your skin immediately rinse with cold water. Eye protection is a good thing to have, I consider that the most important in your case.

I would agree that it would be overkill to go and order all this stuff just for it, ahahah :D . I have a surplus of the equipment and thought it would be good to be as protected as possible (I don't really think you can particularly ever be too protected when dealing with chemicals, especially if the equipment is already there, nothing to lose).
Variscite
Hazard to Self

Mood: diffusing

[*] posted on 13-9-2013 at 04:45

Sometimes being over protected can causes the person to get careless. Also, wearing all this equipment may impair your dexterity/precision.

Find me on Youtube at - Variscites-lab!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Varisciteslab
no videos yet, be some soon.

Go To Top