Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sulfuric acid from gypsum
metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 03:30

Use KClO3 instead of NaClO3 as the first is much easier to separate due to its low solubility in water.
Marvin
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 10:26

*claps*

Brilliant suggestions metalresearcher.

Curious about one thing though. Why do you want him dead?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 11:54

I would be surprised if it wouldn't simply oxidize back to CaSO4.

As for aggressiveness, rapid decomposition seems to depend on transition metal contamination (besides reaction energy already). Gypsum should be fairly pure if it's white, but even off-white sand can contain a significant amount of FeOx and such.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
testimento
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 13:28

Metalresearcher, you obviously didn't notice my other thread concerning about evaporation. One can churn up to 30 liters of concentrated sodium chlorate solution and evaporate off the water within couple of days and make a final drying phase in oven at mild temperature to obtain quite pure, technically anhydrous NaClO3. But anyway, I still strongly think that aside from reacting CaS with CaSO4 to produce CaO and SO2, chlorate method would be quite wasteful.

Btw, check out ebay and other marketplaces for chinese ozone generators. As we speak, one can make sulfuric acid directly by bubbling ozone through the tank containing SO2.

3 SO2 + 3 H2O + O3 → 3 H2SO4

This is quite an interesting since cheapest ozone generators produce several dozens of grams of ozone in an hour and with this reaction, 20% solution of SO2 will yield 40-60% of H2SO4 concentrations. It'd be probably possible to engage the reaction in gas phase, but then the efficiency will be reduced by order of 2/3.
Ulfsaar
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-12-2013 at 15:50

I wonder if monocalcium phosphate (or various poly- or metaphosphates) could be used to expel sulfuric acid and/or sulfur trioxide from calcium sulfate. I guess that process would go at moderate temperatures (300-500 C) so that decomposition of sulfur trioxide would be avoided.

[Edited on 3-12-2013 by Ulfsaar]
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 4-12-2013 at 03:57

Quote:
This is quite an interesting since cheapest ozone generators produce several dozens of grams of ozone in an hour

That should read; "milligrams per hour" . . .

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
Mr.Chemical1
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-11-2014 at 18:00

Quote: Originally posted by Pulverulescent  
Quote:
This is quite an interesting since cheapest ozone generators produce several dozens of grams of ozone in an hour

That should read; "milligrams per hour" . . .

There are several relatively cheap($20-30) ozone generators that can produce several grams of ozone per hour that can be found on ebay. Though generators producing several dozen grams are significantly more expensive. I don't how long they can be run without overheating or burning out though.

Scientia est potentia
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 18-11-2014 at 12:06

Better to use nitric oxides to oxidize the sulfur dioxide solution to sulfuric acid. A relatively small amount acts as a catalyst in the presence of air.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
21-11-2023 at 14:19
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top