Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19  ..  76
Author: Subject: Pretty Pictures (2)
sasan
Hazard to Self

Mood: Radiative

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 04:25

from top to bottom and left to right

copper(l)oxide Cu2O tungsten(Vl)oxide WO3

sodium phosphate dodecahydrate Na3PO4.12H2O potassium bisoxalatocuprate(ll)

diamond jewel C potassium tetracyanonickelate(ll) K2Ni(CN)4

potassium bisoxalatochromate(lll)
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 10:48

So hey, it's been a while but I had a lot of work to do in the lab and
at the university. I used some spare time to work on some Chromium-Complexes
and thought why only show them if I could also add some colored salts to our
photo gallery.

So there are dozens of colored chromium compounds. Too bad that I only have a few of them in my lab. So I will show you the ones I have, those are the most common ones and most people will know them. Still it's nice to see all the different colors of chromium when compared to each other.

I will order some chemicals soon and add more Chromium-compounds to my collection. So there are more colors to come soon ;-).

So let's start:
I will only paste the links because otherwise it's getting too much to load for those who have a slow internet connection !

Chromium(II)
http://imgur.com/oQTrRTZ

This is the nice blue color of Chromium(II). It is not as dark as shown because my camera couldn't do any better. So you can definately distinguish between that blue and the coming later at the Chromium(VI)section. It's much brighter and a bit greener, too. I can't really tell what salt this is, I only know it's chromium(II). I usually reduce all my Chromium(VI) wastes. If you leave that too long you can see how the color shifts from the reduced chromium(III) to a blue color. So I have like half a liter of that solution.

Chromium(III)

- Chromium(III)oxide
http://imgur.com/aBHaMle

- Chromium(III)chloride
http://imgur.com/uxUCfy2

Chromium(III) is usually green especially when it's wet. I bought the Oxide when I didn't have Chromates in order to make them from the Oxide but gave it up due to bad yield. Now I have that bottle here and don't really know what to do with it. The Chloride is just that small sample. I don't have any specific use for that either. It's just there to brighten my collection up a bit. The Chloride is a bit darker, it reminds me of the fake grass you use for toy trains. That grass has that dark color, too.

Chromium(IV)
http://imgur.com/p3sqViM

As you may know there are not that many Chromium(IV)compounds. Most of them are made under high preassure and hot temperatures with dangerous chemicals. So nothnig you could do in a lab. After some research I found that interesting compound in a book. As far as I looked it up on the net I couldn't find anything ( not even the name ). So I don't want to make that too long and describe how I made that. If you are interested you could write me a pm.

Chromium(V)
http://imgur.com/wmcU8O0

So this is a Chromium(V)complex that is not very stable. So I kept that under ice while I made it and just took it out for the picture.

Chromium(VI)

Ammoniumchromate
http://imgur.com/U0UXuO9

Ammoniumdichromate
http://imgur.com/xEYSMhE

Potassiumchromate
http://imgur.com/16zo5Z7

Potassiumdichromate
http://imgur.com/FVoFyRT

Those 4 look really alike ( the Ammoniumdichromate has quite much water in it ) but I still think you can see some difference between Ammoniumchromate and Potassiumchromate. One is bright yellow and the other one has a slight orange tone.

Chromium(VI)Oxide
http://imgur.com/WsYealY

Unfortunately I don't own any CrO3. So I tried to make some by my own. This is Potassiumdichromate in some conc. Sulphuric Acid. It will form some Polychromic Acids and then be condensated to Chromium(VI)oxide. That's the purple stuff you see at the bottom of that flask. While cleaning it I might have had something in my water or in the beaker I used because it reacted back to a yellow liquid ( chromic acid or chromate, I guess ). But it's already on my list.

Chromiumoxide-Peroxide
http://imgur.com/0V2XCeo

Chromoxide-Peroxide-Pyridine
http://imgur.com/QN8sgl3
http://imgur.com/UN3UW6B

So the first one should be known to some, that's what you do to test for chromates. You add some Acid and Hydrogenperoxide to it and it will form Chromiumoxide-Peroxide. It has a dark blue color and is not stable in that solution. So it will decompose to Chromium(III). As Chromium(VI) is a 3d0 Compund you have no Cr-Electrons in your d-Orbitals meaning that you
can perfectly coordinate lone pairs to it. This can either be done in Ether, so the R-O-R' has an Oxygen as bridge. The oxygen has two lone-pairs that can act as a lewis-base and coordinate onto the Cr ( lewis-acid ) and
stabilize it. That will give you the same blue color. You could also use a Nitrogen ( has a lone-pair, too ). So that's why I used the Pyridine. I read that on the net but haven't seen it in action so far. So I descided to try that by myself. That's what I got. I only added a few drops of acid here and got that brown compound. After adding more acid it changed color to the second picture. So I don't know whether it's supposed to look like that but apperently it looks brown-orange in Pyridine while it's blue in Ether and Water.

So that's all for the moment. I will upload some more (non Chromium) pictures soon. Hope you like the stuff above. I had to send all the pictures from my phone to my PC via Mail so I only sent them in the lowest size. If you want any of them bigger just write a pm.

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 12:14

Back porch reflux @sister's house. w00t she has a recirculating water pump!!

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 19:40

Sasan, the pics. look awesme!
Looks like you'll be having fun arkoma :) I'm setting up my first distillation rig, and asked for the last piece for mmy bday. Should get here on mon. So excited, I'll take a pic. when I get it!

Oscilllator
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 19:07

arkoma why have you got the vacuum take-off adapter stuck to the top of your condenser there? Seems a bit odd.

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 19:38

I generally use shoe strings to secure stuff; the take off has the vacuum titty which helps make a more secure attachment and its just gotten to be habit

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 22:07

Something adorable: an /almost/ brand new model reactor. Since every part of it is monitored/controlled, reaction conditions (temperatures, pH, concentrations, stirring speed ect.) could be easily set and experimental data for calculating reaction kinetics could be obtained in no time.

What does this means? We could make the best coffee ever with this.

More pics at: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 11:01

Wow. I'm guessing that cost a lot...
How much? Just curious. Does reactor two mean you have a first one?

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 13:54
THIS is mad science LOL

DrAldehyde
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 15:01

Kristof, you take some amazing pictures of even more amazing chemistry. Arkoma, I admire your determination. Between the two posts, you two illustrate a bit of the huge spectrum of the membership around here. Awesome to have that much diversity.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 18:39

fucking sciencemadness fucking ROCKS (I just might be drunk at the moment w00t)

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 08:52

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

I decided not to post under the influence. I've made too many embarrassing mistakes that way!

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 09:23

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklon-A  

I decided not to post under the influence. I've made too many embarrassing mistakes that way!

Ya might also be under age :o

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 11:15

"new & improved" lab space

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2014 at 06:54

Looking good arkoma! I just got a distillation flask (I already had a condenser :)), so my lab is looking better than ever. For the first time ever, I got an acid stronger than vinegar :P My parents let me buy some 93% drain cleaner sulfuric acid. Sure, it has impurities, but oh well :) I'll post some pics soon! BTW side note, you can 'purify' sulfuric acid by distillation, right? My sulfuric acid has dye and corrosion inhibitors in it.

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 12-7-2014 at 07:13

You can. But don't. Distillation of conc. sulfuric acid is one of the nastiest distillations you could ever do.
It's certainly not one of the first distillations one should do.
And actually, I'm not even sure how possible it is without a vacuum...
It boils (as I'm sure you're aware) at >340 degrees C.

[Edited on 12-7-2014 by Zyklon-A]

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 12-7-2014 at 08:12

@volatile listen to this^^^^ sharp young fella. An easy, albeit somewhat dangerous, distillation is starting fluid. I needed the heptane out of it, the diethyl stills off with nothing more than your hands wrapped around the boiling flask (yes, I saved the ether LOL). Pretty much pure n-heptane left behind

Edit--removed the yelling lol

[Edited on 7-12-2014 by arkoma]

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2014 at 09:47

Drain cleaner sulfuric acid isn't worth the trouble of distilling. The corrosion inhibitors rarely interfere with the chemistry being done with drain cleaner grade anyways. Adding a bit of 35% peroxide can clear it up a bit, as far as corrosion inhibitors go- not sure.

Anyways, this is for pretty pics, not random pics!

*edit* THIS is one of the nastiest distillations you could do. My god what a horrific mess that setup could make.

Chlorobutanol, made out of boredom related reasons:

[Edited on 12-7-2014 by Mailinmypocket]
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 12-7-2014 at 10:02

lol--yes indeed. was gonna capitalize first letter, hit "caps lock" inadvertently, got lazy :o

Pretty picture of red cabbage juice at varying pH (center control):

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2014 at 10:10

Actually, chemical names do not need capitalization! Even myself working in the industry somehow never learned that until coming here. I always thought "it's it's name so, capitals!" But nope - Chemical names do not need capitals unless they start a sentence, whoa! ;)

[Edited on 12-7-2014 by Mailinmypocket]
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2014 at 10:11

lol--yes indeed. was gonna capitalize first letter, hit "caps lock" inadvertently, got lazy :o

Nice! Lots of flower petals are wicked pH indicators also!
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 12-7-2014 at 10:17

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  

Nice! Lots of flower petals are wicked pH indicators also!

ya did notice my "mood", didn't ya? They are great for bases more so than acids though due (I think) the chemistry of the anthocyanin molecule--it changes color by picking up and shedding hydroxyls. Petunidin so far is my personal fave.

Edit--more purty pics

Freshly steam distilled cinnamon oil:

pretty little globular precursors.....

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2014 at 12:01

LOL arkoma. Nice pictures though. What about diluted sulfuric acid? I just want to get rid of the pink-red dye. I tried to make HCl by reaction of H2SO4 and Calcium carbonate. I think I added too much sulfuric acid (I diluted it to 8.8 mol/L approx) at too low concentration. I think it might have made *some* HCl, but it still made some calcium sulfate when mixed with Ca(OH)2. It also turned the pink-red dye yellow. I must have chlorinated the dye, lol.

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 13-7-2014 at 12:05

"weak" (i.e. dilute) H2SO4 + NaCl + heat=HCl

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2014 at 12:17

"weak" (i.e. dilute) H2SO4 + NaCl + heat=HCl

Thanks :) Sorry to use this post for anything other than pictures.
I've been reading Vogel's practical O. Chem 3rd edition this past week :P

Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19  ..  76

Go To Top