Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Big bang------Small package !
DetaDude
Harmless

Mood: Alert

[*] posted on 26-9-2013 at 15:15
Big bang------Small package !

After a few years being absent from these pages, I at last have some spare time to
get back to playing with my adult chemistry set. Its also very relaxing to read sciencemadness and catch up on the latest in chemistry chatter.

I've got a request for some help from the noted guru's of this forum. After many years of playing around with bang type materials ,I need some help with trying to determine which energetic material has the loudest report (i.e. sharpest) with all things such as size being equal , in a nut shell what gives the most bang for the bucks" or in this case most noise with smallest amount of material.

I'm having a training seminar for some pesky blue jay's, would really appreciate any suggestions and or idea's.

DetaDude

Genius creates many a great works............Labor alone finishes them!
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 26-9-2013 at 20:04

I would suggest the silver acetylide double salt. That stuff is pretty loud for a small amount used if it's just the sound your after it's O.K for that. It gives a pretty sharp sounding report too. I think it's what they use in Xmas crackers.

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 26-9-2013 at 20:24

I recommend 70/30 perchlorate/pyro Al flash in a paper casing. It is not the fastest by any means, but is much safer than SADS or any primary, and one gram, lightly confined in paper will make your ears ring for minutes.

Basic lead picrate makes a hell of a bang though, even in mg amounts, but it is a sensitive primary EM. Be safe...

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Dornier 335A
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-9-2013 at 22:51

This is not something I could recommend, but it is the loudest pyrotechnic composition I've ever tested. A nano scale mixture of potassium chlorate, red phosphorus and magnesium detonates with great power as well as creating a good thermobaric blast wave, in milligram amounts.

What kind of amounts are you talking about?

[Edited on 27-9-2013 by Dornier 335A]
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 27-9-2013 at 01:13

i would say the most energetic material you can get your hands on, i recommend EGDN, although i havent had experience with it.. you could seal it in with a straw with primary inserted, and it sealed tight with simple hot glue

its all about how much energy it contains, considering that its a HE, it will release it in as short amount of time as possible

strangely enough KMnO4 MgAl gives off an extremely heavy sound, where KClO4 MgAl gives a decently heavy, but many times LOUDER as in.. it hits you much harder, much more sharp

if you want something thats easy to handle you could cast 5g ETN in aluminium casing or whatever, then add abit of ETN to that and press it firmly, then put a primary into that
if you want it to look neat some electrical tape will do, perhaps some thick aluminium tape

it would surely be neat to have a cast 20g ETN NYE that would be less than 10% the size of the big firecrackers everybody is walking about with, and yet being so much louder

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
DetaDude
Harmless

Mood: Alert

[*] posted on 27-9-2013 at 17:34

Thanks to all for your replies, it's just the kind of feedback I'm looking for, however I think I need to supply a little more information.

Every evening after I call it quits for the day I enjoy sitting on my back deck and have a cup of coffee and a smoke. During this time I like to feed the local squirrels with some peanuts (in the shell type) so I place the uncracked nuts on the hand railing that runs around the deck and watch them snack on these tid bits, but lately the pesky damn bluejays have been flying down and stealing the nuts before the squirrels can get to them.

I have some electronics (transmitters & receivers ) made just for setting off displays (i.e. E-matches). My thoughts were to place a small dab of some kind of HE primary on an E-match head and conceal it near the peanut, so when the Jay's try to grab the nut I don't even have to leave my comfortable chase lounge but just push a button to give the birds a good scare.

I don't wish to injure the birds but just put the fear of god into them so to speak, my original thoughts were along the lines of maybe a fulminate, azide or some other primary. Just as long as it is loud for such a small amount.

Thanks alot for the contributions so far, just keep em coming.

DetaDude

Genius creates many a great works............Labor alone finishes them!
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 27-9-2013 at 18:05

The Flash suggestion is what I would think is best. It is very stable and safe, unlike primaries and espesialy nano-armstrongs mix. Even just a few hundred mg lightly confined in paper will be very loud. It is very insensitive and wont go off by accident. The noise is deep and loud, even though it is of lower velocity than the other primaries mentioned. The chemicals needed are relativly cheap, and very available. For your purposes, it will be more than enough, and is the safest option, In my opinion.

[Edited on 28-9-2013 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-9-2013 at 06:47

Quote: Originally posted by DetaDude  
I don't wish to injure the birds but just put the fear of god into them so to speak
Wouldn't a sharp sudden sound out of a loudspeaker work just as well to scare birds?
golfpro
Banned

Mood: Cap Sensitive

[*] posted on 28-9-2013 at 06:55

Just throw those little pop-it things, they make a pop that would probably scare a bird away

Go To Top