Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hexanitrobenzene from hexachlorobenzene?
hungryman
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 08:47
hexanitrobenzene from hexachlorobenzene?

i readed the post about hexanitrobenzene and the synthesis(working?) in wiki but ther is no other more simple way of producing hexanitrobenzene? or atleast other explosive nitrobenzenes?.

i thought about it when i readed about the "ipso nitration" in the wiki article about nitration that talking about reacting sodium nitrite with chlorinated hydrocarbons that replace the chlorine atoms with nitro molecules
ipso nitration

the same thing can be done with chlorobenzene's like hexachlorobenzene?
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
2-10-2013 at 05:16
hungryman
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 20:36

somebody can tell me if atleast partial nitration of chlorinated benzene can be done by reaction with sodium nitrite?,tell me your opinion if you are not sure.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 22:23
I had the same idea

www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1226#pid17906...

This is well outside of the box of conventional proceedures

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 3-10-2013 at 06:01

The nucleophilic aromatic substitution (NAS) of picryl chloride, 2-chloro-1,3-dinitrobenzene, 1-chloro-2,6-dinitro-4-trifluromethylbenzene and some other nitrochlorobenzenes with NaNO2 in dichloromethane using 18-crown-6 as the PTC catalyst gives the corresponding polynitrobenzenes. At least according to: Badea, Florin et al., Revue Roumaine de Chimie, 44, 351-356 (2000). Unfortunately, the journal is digitalized only from 2006 onward. So, those interested should either email the authors and request a copy or use the interlibrary exchange.

The nitro group can be a leaving group for NAS reactions, especially if there are nitro groups ortho or para to each other, so it is unlikely that the substitution could ever go to pernitrobenzene product. In order to make the substitution irreversible, AgNO2 should be used.

The perchlorination of nitrobenzene is described in SyntheticPage 483 (DOI: 10.1039/SP483).
Should be applicable to benzene, chlorobenzene or para-dichlorobenzene as well.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
hungryman
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-10-2013 at 09:47

it is nice to know that this wasn't just a dumb idea that crossed my mind.

so basicaly..sodium nitrite can react with 1,3,5 trichlorobenzene to make 1,3,5 trinitrobenzene explosive?,and what with the hexanitrobenzene? you (franklyn) or someone else tried and succeeded/failed to make it from hexachlorobenzene?.

[Edited on 3-10-2013 by hungryman]
killswitch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-10-2013 at 14:13

Does the procedure require crown ether? And what solvent would work with silver nitrite?

And of course, there is the tried-and-true method of NAS with ammonia to 1,3,5-triamino-2,4,6-trichlorobenzene, then oxidation of the amines to nitro groups with sulfuric acid and hydrogen peroxide, then NAS of the chlorine with ammonia, then oxidation of the new amines to nitro groups with sulfuric acid and hydrogen peroxide.
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 5-10-2013 at 00:38

what about hexaazidobenzene ?

Go To Top