Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Source of (Chemglass) Reaction Vessels?
Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

Mood: Organometallics

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 05:08
Source of (Chemglass) Reaction Vessels?

I know chemglass doesn't sell to individuals, so I have been looking at resellers. I need a 3L Reaction flask, mantle and all. The best place I found was Labplanet.com, but their prices are marked up almost 100$ on some stuff. Does know of a place that will sell to individuals at maybe better costs?
If needed, here are the chemglass part #s
CG-1946-D
CG-147-31
CG-1932-02
CG-141-02
CG-15005-01
CG-12000-10
I am also willing to use non chemglass parts if there is a source for it!
Thanks!
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 06:06

for the price depending on what chemical processes youre doing i would say you should try looking around and asking everyone you know if thye have seen large plastic containers..
SAN and PET plastic is heat resistant up to 260*C, but theres some other facts that plays in to that temperature limit.. it will soften before 260*C
what process tho? plastic is usually quite resistant..

also ytmachx on youtube might know where to get some.. just look at the glassware hes using!!

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 06:30

Thats the glassware I was basing the order off of. He said he got it all through ebay over the course of several years (Which I would rather not have to do). I would prefer glass unfortunately, but if worst comes to worst the PET container would be an idea.

[Edited on 6-10-2013 by Dariusrussell]
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 12:05

Looks like you're in the same boat I'm in. If you have the money( read; around a thousand USD at the worst case) Wilmad Labglass has Pyrex reaction kettles( same thing Ymachtx or white rabbit here on SM uses) and there own make as well as mantles. Kettles( read: reaction vessels like Ymachtx uses)are scarce for us amateurs. Now if you intend to do as he did and electrolytically make reagents; plastic vessels Might be a lower cost option. I don't know much about what would work well for a given reaction but it's a possible option. I may be wrong on this next part but from what I've seen around on here, chlorate cell information is a little thin on the ground here. Maybe it's to ward of Kewls, I dunno. But I don't know of any places that really go in depth on the use of plastic for cells I can't make any recommendations. May your luck be better than mine has on this.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 12:31

I think we might be talking about two different things (and the same at same time). I was looking for something more like in his trichloromethane and benzene videos, with a large RBF type vessel. That is preferably why I am looking for glass. Wilmed is nice, though much more expensive than I planned. There are a surprising number of 100mm Chemglass lids on ebay, unfortunately wilmed doesn't use the same sealing system. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I actually take back the price, it is identical to Labpro, so its not great but will also work

Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 13:28

Ahh I see! Hmmm these good folks might be able to help you http://www.jacknmike.com/labglass/variety/index.html if item DSC_8218 is the vessel you are looking for( well the type anyway) I'll keep looking of you like though

Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 14:11

Yes exactly! A cylindrical vessel would also work in my case, but they need a special mantle. I'll keep looking too but if you could keep an eye out that would be great.
I asked for a price quote on the setup, I edit this when I have a quote

malford
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 19:02

I could order what you desire from ChemGlass and ship it to you. I'm sure we could work out something for my compensation -- perhaps a piece of used glassware or chemical.
Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 19:15

Alright, I don't quite have the funds yet to buy it, I was just finding a source. But at some point malford, I will take you up on your offer! Its very generous of you to offer.
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 23:07

I have a 4 liter Pyrex reaction vessel with flange with 4 necks 24/40 and mantle and clamps for sale... But it's not cheap.... I was thinking of listing it on eBay? If interested u2u me.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 14:44

I'm sorry I didn't ask this sooner but: for your aims, do you meed a removable top or just a large joint size? I understand if you prefer not to tell all but a general idea of what you are trying to do will help.That will be a huge factor in price and availability of suitable glass. I myself am torn: I need to be able to clean out gunky preparations( like dry distillation of pine saw dust) but at the same time I need something that will allow me to electrolytically prepare reagents. I've looked at mantle but I have also looked af large RBF's with joints like ST 45/50 or ST 55/50. I will say, however, that a 5 liter vertical 3 neck RBF in 45/50 has been difficult as well. So I can sympathize with the frustration in procuring a vessel that can handle things like Fermentation, messy/ hard to clean and electrolytic preparations( especially when doing such in larger amounts) AND be user friendlier. All that being said if this, like me is to have something versatile for all the above and other needs; it looks like a mantle, reaction kettle and the needed accessories are going to be the best best for your needs; Short and long term. P.S.: I did find this a few days ago BUT Beware, this thing makes me very uneasy and it isn't from the known good Chinese glass-makers :http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000ml-Glass-Reaction-Flask-1L-4-Necks-Reactor-With-Lid-and-Clamp-Lab-Glassware-/331037781774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash= item4d1363af0e . I put this here just for reference and proof of the thing, that does not mean I endorse it nor have I had any personal dealings with this seller or their wares, good or bad.

Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 15:04

I have no plan on doing any sort of electrolytic reaction, and most definitely not on a 3-5L scale. The top joint doesn't necessarily have to be removable, though with a reaction vessel it is the only way I have seen it done thus far. I really plan on using it for large scale production of solvents and reagents that aren't easily available to buy (Benzene, Chloroform etc). I only need a 3-5L flask with 3 or 4 necks (I haven't decided yet) that have a 24/40 on all, or a 45/50 for a large overhead stir 'rod'. It also needs to fit a mantle so and RBF type would be preferable. I know jamit offered his and it looks extremely nice, but I'm still saving up so it might be sold beforehand. I think I have enough sources now, but feel free to add more. I'm aiming for a budget of around 1,200 for everything (used or new)
Funkerman, what sort of budget do you have if I may ask, I know chemglass most likely makes what you're looking for. (Maybe if you ask malford real nice...)

Oh also, if I'm getting something this big, I want it to be nice, so I ruled out unknown chinese glass already.

[Edited on 8-10-2013 by Dariusrussell]
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 15:57

Well.. assuming I can get it from the bank I am looking at about a 600 USD max. This isn't much and it certainly limits what I can do. I still kick myself for letting a 3( 4?) liter kettle, with mantle, top and other parts go when it was on eBay for 400USD. I know good and well this kind of equipment is valuable; so I don't want to insult a seller with a low offer.That being said a miracle is always on my mind's wish list and it would be put to good& legitimate use. But that aside; flasks in the 3-5 liter range aren't too hard to get. Only trouble is maybe cleaning them and electrodes would be constrained from the joint size if they are needed.

Please excuse my rambling and if I hijacked your thread: I merely wanted to give the best advice and save some frustration.I tend to elaborate a lot as well.

Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 16:55

No not at all I got what I was looking for and we should help you now.
I think that your option might have to be ebay. Currently on the 'bay there is a 2L and 5L heating mantle for cylindrical flasks, those might be the place to start. From there you might be stuck waiting for a 5 or 2L cylindrical flask to be sold. The rest (head, clamp) might be needed to be purchased from a supplier.
If you haven't you should check on Labx and see if anything is there also.

http://www.labx.com/v2/spiderdealer2/vistaSearchDetails.cfm?
There are some chemglass 100mm lids and a flange should be easy to find. The one downside is that the joints are 24/40.
The entire thing should come down to around 600

[Edited on 9-10-2013 by Dariusrussell]

[Edited on 9-10-2013 by Dariusrussell]

Go To Top