Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 16:03

Ok, thanks Bert.

BobD1001
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 19:03
Storage of Formaldehyde

I purchased a quantity of Formaldehyde from Elemental about 6 months ago. I received it in an opaque HDPE container, and it has since been stored along other similar liquids within a storage cabinet in my semi-temp controlled garage. The minimum temperature this cabinet will see in the winter is approximately 55* F. Upon taking inventory today, I noticed a thick layer of white residue on the bottom of the bottle. At first I thought the bottle was losing its integrity and becoming porous, but I quickly realized that it was in fact a white solid at the bottom of the container. A quick search reveals that this is most likely Paraformaldehyde forming due to the colder temperatures. My question is, upon warmer temperatures will this redissolve to reform the formaldehyde solution, or will it require more elevated temperatures. Here is a link to a picture of the bottle and its bottom layer. Link
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 06:49

Quote: Originally posted by DubaiAmateurRocketry  
Does detonation wave travel faster/slower in different materials ?

First the question is not clear at all. If your question is about detonation wave in inert materials, well in this case we don't call the wave a detonation wave but a shock wave. A detonation wave is a shock wave supported by chemical energy like the one encountered in a detonating chemical explosive (the explosive can be solid, liquid or a gas). A detonation wave is a shock wave followed by a short, attached reaction zone (according to the Zeldovich-von Neumann-Doring theory known as ZND theory). The reaction zone terminate at the CJ plane or sonic locus where Dcj= c+up ( c= sound speed in the gas at the CJ state and up is the particle velocity). behind the CJ plane the gaseous detonation products begin their expansion along the isentrope (the exapnsion creats a rarefaction wave or Taylor wave). A shock wave in an inert materials decay with time because it is not supported by a chemical enegy. A shock wave is always faster than the sound speed in the media where it propagate. sound speed in solids is grater than liquid and finally gases. For example the sound speed in metallic beryllium is approx. 13 km/s, so a shock wave travelling in beryllium should be grater than 13 km/s if one want to call it shock wave. Any shock wave in any inert media will decay with time/distance as it travel inside the material and finally the shock wave will decay to become a sound wave.

Dany.

[Edited on 1-4-2014 by Dany]
TheAlchemistPirate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Enigmatic

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 13:10

Hello I am making HNO3 by distilling H2SO4 and KNO3(no vacuum) and I have no idea what the best temperature for making it would be. I am going to insulate the apparatus with aluminum foil so I can do it at a lower temperature( to prevent decomposition). Also, Im not sure how to store it. I have several new amber glass bottles from homesciencetools.com and a garage to store them in that doesn't usually get any hotter than 70 degrees F. Im pretty sure this nitric acid will be above 90% concentration.

"Is this even science anymore?!"
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 13:55

To store your acid, you can read replies on this thread. All you need is a new fridge for your acids.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=29837

There are also tips for distillation of nitric acid on the forum.
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 15:49

Can this be nitrated?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydroxyacetone

And, can someone help me find synthesis of dinitroethane? or trinitroglycerin? Just interested to see the impact sensitivity and other properties of these liquid EM since the ONO2 group give much more impact sensitivity than NO2 group. I have searched on spinger and WOL, but not much related contents are shown. Thanks.
copperastic
Hazard to Others

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 15:58

Hi, I was trying to make an iron II sulfate crystal and when i dissolved the iron II sulfate in water the turned yellow. Is it supposed to become yellow?
Thanks

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 16:10

This thread is specifically for EM. And the answer is yes BTW.

[Edited on 5-4-2014 by Zyklonb]

copperastic
Hazard to Others

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 17:00

Oh ok zyklonb. Sorry i thought this was the all round one.

Mr.Tzzzz
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 18:02

What would it happen if someone surrounds a sphere of metal with plastic (or any other) explosive and detonates it? For example would the metal be compressed to a new crystalline state with a higher density?
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 19:17

Well, if the explosives were properly shaped and carefully detonated in a fashion that produced a converging spherical shock wave- it MIGHT just work- But this is just blue sky theory, right?

[Edited on 5-4-2014 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

TheAlchemistPirate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Enigmatic

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 19:46

Isn't this an atomic bomb?! Or am I just an idiot?

"Is this even science anymore?!"
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 19:53

Well, click on the link & see!

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 22:18

Quote: Originally posted by Mr.Tzzzz  
What would it happen if someone surrounds a sphere of metal with plastic (or any other) explosive and detonates it? For example would the metal be compressed to a new crystalline state with a higher density?

Since an implosion is a convergent shock/detonation wave, high pressure (in the order of megabars) can be encountered. Yes, a convergent shock wave will compress materials to a higher density. The reason to do an implosion in an atomic bomb is to compress the plutonium pit to a higher density (or smaller volume) so as to reach the supercritical mass necessary for the beginning of the explosive chain reaction (after neutron initiation, of course). You don't need an implosion to obtain a phase transition or higher density in metals. For example, consider a steel cylinder loaded with high explosive. When the explosive is detonated the cylinder wall will be accelerated. Experimentally, it has been found [1] that the initial wall velocity is smaller than theoretical one. under shock loading, the steel will undergo a phase transition from the α phase to the ε phase. The process of phase transition absorb energy and thus decrease the cylinder wall velocity by a factor of 1.9

Reference:

[1]Joseph E. BACKOFEN and Chris A. WEICKERT, OBTAINING THE GURNEY ENERGY CONSTANT FOR A TWO-STEP PROPULSION MODEL, Shock Compression of Condensed Matter - 2001: 12th APS Topical Conference. AIP Conference Proceedings, Volume 620, pp. 958-961 (2002).

Dany.

DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 01:42

Dany, up to megabars ?! Can we synthesize diamonds from explosives since the pressure needed is only kilobars? If as you said, implosion pressure of megabars, it could probably make diamond if you put carbon in the middle?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Can this be nitrated?

And, can someone help me find synthesis of dinitroethane? or trinitroglycerin? Just interested to see the impact sensitivity and other properties of these liquid EM since the ONO2 group give much more impact sensitivity than NO2 group. I have searched on spinger and WOL, but not much related contents are shown. Thanks.
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 02:03

Dany, up to megabars ?! Can we synthesize diamonds from explosives since the pressure needed is only kilobars? If as you said, implosion pressure of megabars, it could probably make diamond if you put carbon in the middle?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Can this be nitrated?

You don't need a special explosive geometry to produce diamond. When an oxygen deficient explosive detonate part of the carbon generated as a detonation product is converted to nanodiamond. This was a major question in the detonation science. Charles MADER in his book Numerical modeling of explosive and propellant, answered this question. The phase of the carbon formed (graphite or diamond) depend on the initial density of the explosive. For example TNT give graphite in the detonation products up to d= 1.55 g/cm3. Above this density the carbon formed is diamond. The carbon phase change from graphite to diamond is clearly visible on the detonation velocity vs density plot. @ 1.55 g/cm3, a change in the slop of D(ρ ) is visible. the increase of detonation velocity with density above 1.55 g/cm3 is slower (but always linear) than the increase of Dcj under 1.55 g/cm3. See the book of Charles MADER for more information. A complete book is devoted to the production of nanodiamond via explosive charge detonation, see:

Detonation Nanodiamonds: Science and Applications

Dany.
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 02:15

Oh thanks, but not as what I was expecting. Is it possible to make a piece of diamond by putting a piece of graphite in the middle of a spherical charge?
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 04:51

Oh thanks, but not as what I was expecting. Is it possible to make a piece of diamond by putting a piece of graphite in the middle of a spherical charge?

The first publication of this idea I've seen is over a century old. There's even a chapter about someone TRYING in Hudson Maxim'a "Dynamite Stories"

Although the pressure conditions are rather more than sufficient, collecting the diamond dust after is a bit of a challenge- And if you can work out how to apply that amount of force without "distributing" your product as VERY fine dust around the neighborhood... DeBeers will put a contract on your life.:P

[Edited on 5-4-2014 by Bert]

DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 06:35

''Stories'' Is it real? Any ways,

Does any one know what are the ABL,TC impact sensitivity measurements? It is stated in the only table of this patent,
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.goog...
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 03:17

10900 m/s? Is this even real? Tetranitroaminoethane's tetrasodium salt have a calculated detonation velocity of 10.9km/s at its crystal density! and it is reported to have a VoD of 9570 at only 1.84g/cm3 I am trying to find for information if this is true. The tetraammonium, hydrazine, hydroxylammonium salt of this also seems interesting.

I frist saw this russian paper.
Download link(press the pdf) = http://yadda.icm.edu.pl/yadda/element/bwmeta1.element.baztec...

I then searched for the english name and this paper poped up. This is a review, the tetrasodium salt of tetranitroaminoethane is on the last page.

Attachment: A brief review of publications of Russian scientists on energetic materials.rar (1.5MB)
This file has been downloaded 603 times

Dornier 335A
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 04:54

Regarding the production of diamonds: Mythbusters did it!
Graphite powder was pressed in a steel pipe which was welded shut in both ends. It was then placed in the middle of a large ANFO charge. But the result was just a tiny quantity of diamond powder. Here is a quick video of the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mWQUvxcANE
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 05:20

ANFO is weak. it generates around only 35 kbar(Diamond need at least 45 kbar) while TNT can create over 200 kilobars, RDX near 400, and HMX, Cl-20 almost 10 times the pressure needed to create diamonds. So maybe they should try TNT with that :)
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 07:16

Quote: Originally posted by Dornier 335A  
Regarding the production of diamonds: Mythbusters did it!
Graphite powder was pressed in a steel pipe which was welded shut in both ends. It was then placed in the middle of a large ANFO charge. But the result was just a tiny quantity of diamond powder. Here is a quick video of the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mWQUvxcANE

I do not think so that if they were successfully made diamonds, they would say that.
Dornier 335A
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 07:24

So you suggest they are lying? The idea is a century old as Bert said. Certainly not a secret.
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 08:20

Quote: Originally posted by Dornier 335A  
So you suggest they are lying? The idea is a century old as Bert said. Certainly not a secret.

Not lying, but i believe that it can be done, but surely it is going to need a lot of practice
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  78

Go To Top