Mood: Repentant

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 04:42

Detonator>hammer.

I can't think of a better signature.
Dornier 335A
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 04:51

A high explosive with low critical diameter will reach full velocity regardless of how it is initiated. Once the shock wave is going it will accelerate up to its maximum velocity as long as there is enough material.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 07:17

Quote: Originally posted by a nitrogen rich explosive  
You do have a point... From my own personal experience, HMTD>SADS. Tdep's video I linked above: the stuff blows up all over the place randomly. That's only from personal experience.
No, I don't. The best thing is not to use organic peroxides in the first place!!

Don't confuse... it's not your personnal experience, its Tdep's one!

Also in the video, I don't see Tdep saying what you are trying to say... the stuff blows eventually up all over the place...but only if unconfined coarse powder and put loose on a Al foil heated by a flame from beneath...

Any primary treated that way will inflame, deflagrate or detonate.
SADS is interesting in that it detonates even in the open and in minute amount.

Allowing SADS to go into sunlight is not a good idea!
Tdep says that it deactivates the SADS, but in fact it is some AgNO3 that sets some Ag free upon UV light exposure...
The dark SADS (of the Moon :D) is more sensitive than the light coloured one!

Search my advices with the search engine on the making of white/light grey silver acetylide nitrato complex.

[Edited on 4-5-2016 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 07:27

Would this exist:
Ditetrazole azide (two tetrazole groups joined by an azide group off the carbon atom in the tetrazole ring and an NH group in the other group to form a disubsituted tetrazole?

NOPE.
Azide is -N3 and is monovalent so you can't put (covalently) two things on it!
Eventually AZO is -N=N- and is bivalent...

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 07:32

Quote: Originally posted by OneEyedPyro  
Anyone who rubs any organic peroxide between his fingers should be taken out of the gene pool.

Coming from the guy who insists HMTD is preferred over SADS?... Funny :D

Gently rubbing a small quantity of TATP between your fingers is a much safer alternative to pressing a much larger quantity of it with an unknown crystal size.
Unless you have an alternative method of determining crystal size short of examining it under a microscope, I'd love to hear it.

I would add from the guy who wanted to make for a first trial 20g of solid ultrasensitive benzodiazonium perchlorate out of a 45 ml batch.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

a nitrogen rich explosive
Banned troll

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 08:58

That's because I didn't take into account the high mol weight of the perchlorate ion.

Banned troll

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 08:59

@PHILOU Zrealone,

It is my personal experience. Tdep's video I thought illuminated this and showed in a video what I cannot say. I don't know if it was an impure batch, but my SADS was stupidly sensitive (think azidotetrazole sensitive.)

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 04:48

@PHILOU Zrealone,

It is my personal experience. Tdep's video I thought illuminated this and showed in a video what I cannot say. I don't know if it was an impure batch, but my SADS was stupidly sensitive (think azidotetrazole sensitive.)

Then the problem might be in the process or in the operator handling...
What did you do exactly?

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 04:55

That's because I didn't take into account the high mol weight of the perchlorate ion.

You are simply careless and you don't inform yourself enough of the dangers before attempting a synthesis!

Because even if you "forgot" the perchlorate mass, it only takes 49% of the mass off...
and 10.4 g is stil like 10 cm³ of a friction sensitive primary explosive.
Imagine the power and devastation of 10 cm³ of SADS equivalent HE in a lab glassware swirled by your hand...

No more comment to add! :mad:

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

Banned troll

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 08:32

And no more hands to write with... Stupid error.

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 16:00
Today's Test

All,

Is it possible to start a "Range Test" Thread, where test can be described or shown?

I did a test today with an FEL licensed friend. A firm putty was made from Al powder, potassium chlorate, smokeless powder and Nitromethane in a (10,60,5,25 ratio). About 15 grams of this was the size of my thumb, it went off very nicely with a .3gram NPED containing a mixture of magnesium, ETN and potassium perchlorate. The putty was tested for sensitivity (because of the potassium chlorate, with a hammer on a large rock. It tooker a stronger blow than ETN to detonate, and usually only part of the sample would detonate. The 15 gram sample broke a 3.5" hardwood branch in half. and produced a white to yellowish explosion about 3' in diameter.

Has anyone else experimented with potassium chlorate, nitromethane, smokeless powder mixture?

The purpose of this test was to compare the sensitivity of a AN based putty vs a potassium chlorate based putty. The AN putty did not detonate completely with a 1 gram cap.

[Edited on 8-5-2016 by MineMan]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 22:40

Very interesting attepmt. NPED detonator, also very good the way. However, nitromethan is always problem with huge evaporating. ...LL...:cool:
Banned troll

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 01:49

Magnesium, potassium chlorate, NM and MnO2 in 10-56-25-7 or so is the closest I have got to this... Interestingly, it is quite sensitive and a plastic explosive.

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 07:34

Laboratory of Liptikov, you are right, a few ml of NM have to be added every few minutes to keep from drying out, but if you plan to use right away it is not a huge issue. It could be stored in an airtight container or wax paper... but it may be a little to sensitive to store.

Nitrogen, I would imagine that mixture you did is very similar to what I tested, you are right, more sensitive than we would expect for a plastic! I am thinking of replacing the aluminum with silicon, same energy, but should increase the stability... I think.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 05:09

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  
All,

Is it possible to start a "Range Test" Thread, where test can be described or shown?

I did a test today with an FEL licensed friend. A firm putty was made from Al powder, potassium chlorate, smokeless powder and Nitromethane in a (10,60,5,25 ratio). About 15 grams of this was the size of my thumb, it went off very nicely with a .3gram NPED containing a mixture of magnesium, ETN and potassium perchlorate. The putty was tested for sensitivity (because of the potassium chlorate, with a hammer on a large rock. It tooker a stronger blow than ETN to detonate, and usually only part of the sample would detonate. The 15 gram sample broke a 3.5" hardwood branch in half. and produced a white to yellowish explosion about 3' in diameter.

Has anyone else experimented with potassium chlorate, nitromethane, smokeless powder mixture?

The purpose of this test was to compare the sensitivity of a AN based putty vs a potassium chlorate based putty. The AN putty did not detonate completely with a 1 gram cap.

[Edited on 8-5-2016 by MineMan]

Very nice mixture!
Nothing against its use since all chems are compatible but to put into closed hermetic recipient (avoid too big air gaps that would allow NM to evaporate and condense)

Maybe would be good to test,
-NaClO3 variant (more hygroscopic than KClO3 but you need less per weight for the same effect)
-KClO4 variant
-NaClO4 variant
-NH4ClO4 variant

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 05:11

I didn't mean that. I meant hydrazine and iodine.

Iodine is not compatible with hydrazine.
I2 turns into HI and N2H4 into N2.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 05:14

Magnesium, potassium chlorate, NM and MnO2 in 10-56-25-7 or so is the closest I have got to this... Interestingly, it is quite sensitive and a plastic explosive.

Plastic? I hardly think it could be.
You forgot a plastifiant into your mix...in Mineman receipt there is NM and Nitrocellulose (smokeless powder) that forms a gel.

NM on its own is way too fluid to allow for a plasticity of your mix.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 09:30

Philou,

I plan to do some more tests with this mixture, although it may be a bit too sensitive, as a light to moderate hammer blow will detonate small samples placed on a hard rock. The NM gelling works quite nice, it has the consistency of silly putty... till it started evaporating.

Philou, I don't have any of those oxidizers unfortunately.... but yes "the dream" would be to try it with lithium perchlorate, or another similar oxidizer with a super positive OB%.

The mixture was quite more powerful than expected, maybe it is time for some videos...

If anyone decides to make this please perform your own sensitivity tests rather than relay on mine. For example the particle size could effect the results...Thank you.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 12:42
NM - mix

I'm not a fan of nitromethane mix. But I have LiClO4. ( expensive a Dream ) And everything else, of course. You can design composition. The ratios. And I'll try it on the anvil. And I do (I can do) test 20 grams. Against the steel plate. For 20 g suggest, I recommend about 6 mm sheet or 2 x 3mm. As a square profile. So double target. Double target is best target. Is possible do it as video, or only text output research data. With pictures of deformation , for example. It is much easily, of course. Against video. However for samples on the anvil is better video. ...LL...:cool:
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 01:37
recommend

Here is recommend. Your mix was Aluminium 10, KClO3 60, gunpowder 5, nitromethan 25. OB this mix is + 3,32. It is slightly positive, but still good. According this table: Aluminium -88, g.powder - 30,9, KClO3 +39,15 NM -39,3. Power of this plastic explosive is according main explosive compound, thus nitromethane. Therefore is better, if will be more NM as main explosive. Better will be is decrease content Al on 5 %. And decrease content oxidiser, if we have LiClO4 with OB + 60,13. Here is recommend mix. : Al 5, LiClO4 40, shotgun powder 5, NM 50. OB mix = - 1,54. However, nothing is sure. Is necessary try it. Is there some reason for big content aluminium 10%? Dr...LL...:cool:
Only my recommend. All can be else, according you...:cool:
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 10:24

That Sounds good LL,

I just like a lot of aluminum because of the increased energy, and increased duration of the max detonation pressure. 5% is great, I think that is what I send you in the U2U message.

Looking forewords to the results!
Eosin Y
Banned troll

Mood: Aga needs to cool his heels

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 10:33

Just out of interest: if Al, why not Mg? Wouldn't its higher reactivity make a more explosive mix (as well as the fact that it could act as a sensitizer, eliminating the need for MnO2?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 11:23
Al

Mg is sometimes much reactive in contact with strong oxidizer. Arises MgO surface. But this is question for a chemical experts. Bert, Philou and similarly. In 90% patents of EM is used Al, no Mg. For attempt will be used Aluminium Bright, color type. .LL..:cool:
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 15:29

Al releases more energy per weight and volume than Mg.... But if the mixture is not sensitive enough with Al than Mg would be a good next step.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 12:11

Or Al-Mg alloy used in some car wheels and some vehicles metallic parts to allow for lighter structures (airplaines).

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

Pages:  1  ..  34    36    38  ..  78

Go To Top