Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  64    66    68  ..  78
Author: Subject: Short question / quick answer - Thread
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2018 at 23:13

That's just the analysis; it's not a good source of phosphorus pentoxide or elemental calcium. I don't think phosphorus pentoxide is available OTC. It is available to amateurs but can be a little hard to find at times.

joseph6355
Hazard to Others

Mood: Nitrated

[*] posted on 30-6-2018 at 13:47

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
That's just the analysis; it's not a good source of phosphorus pentoxide or elemental calcium. I don't think phosphorus pentoxide is available OTC. It is available to amateurs but can be a little hard to find at times.

That sucks. :\
Where can I find elemental phosphorus OTC then? Even a child could make P2O5, you just have to burn it with enough oxygen in a dry environment.

Oh, hello! :)

underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2018 at 23:37

Which is the easiest way to make acetyline gas? I can not find anywhere calcium carbide and acetyline cylinders are huge and expensive. Is there any other way to make acetyline ?
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 14-8-2018 at 00:36
Just type in google "synthesis of acetylene" found it on first found website

F is a wide-necked 250 ml bolt-head flask, to which is fitted a double-surface reflux water-condenser C and the dropping funnel D. From the top of C, a delivery-tube leads down to the pneumatic trough T, where the gas can be collected in jars in the usual way. 100 ml of rectified ethanol and 25 g of powdered potassium hydroxide are placed in the flask F. The mixture is gently boiled under reflux until the potassium hydroxide is almost entirely dissolved. 15 ml (or 33 g) of 1,2-dibromoethane is place in the dropping funnel D, and added drop-wise into the boiling solution of potassium hydroxide in ethanol. A rapid reaction occurs, acetylene being generated and potassium bromide precipitated. Generated acetylene is passes through the apparatus until all the air is expelled. Then acetylene is collected under water or directly used for an experiment.

You can try this with 1,2 dichloroethane instead, which is cheaper and can be made by esterification of ethylene glycol with hydrochloric acid and see if it works.

A-glass-apparatus-for-the-preparation-of-acetylene-from-12-dibromoethane-and-potassium-hydroxide-369x379.png - 63kB

[Edited on 14-8-2018 by mackolol]
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-8-2018 at 02:43

My purpose is only for making silver acetylide. I guess air is not a broblem as it will not react with the silver nitrate solution. So i am thinking to pass directly the gas into the solution and skip the reflux condenser cause i dont have it
DrManhattan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-8-2018 at 06:57

Q. After running a solution of ETN/methanol through a filter during recrystallization i am left with an unknown white precipitate in the filter. Not much at all, but it certainly is not ETN as i have tried to burn it but it is completely inert. It does not even melt under a blowtorch. It has the consistency of a very fine powder and is not crystalline. Any ideas on what is it? I used the hno3/sulfuric acid route for the synthesis.

[Edited on 24-8-2018 by DrManhattan]
OneEyedPyro
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-8-2018 at 14:23

Quote: Originally posted by DrManhattan  
Q. After running a solution of ETN/methanol through a filter during recrystallization i am left with an unknown white precipitate in the filter. Not much at all, but it certainly is not ETN as i have tried to burn it but it is completely inert. It does not even melt under a blowtorch. It has the consistency of a very fine powder and is not crystalline. Any ideas on what is it? I used the hno3/sulfuric acid route for the synthesis.

[Edited on 24-8-2018 by DrManhattan]

No idea... Maybe it's some kind of impurity in your sulfuric acid?

I have seen weird things with AN/H2SO4 nitrations of impure erythritol (namely Truvia). I often had a bit of precipitate that was insoluble in water, alcohol or acetone. Maybe it's the same compound, I never bothered to do anything but dispose of it.

After going to pure erythritol and HNO3 rather than raw Truvia and nitrate salt I've never had this happen.
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-9-2018 at 15:19
Magnesium nitrate as a dehydrating agent

When magnesium nitrate forms it tends to absorb water forming a hexahydrade. What about using it in the rdx preparation ? In theory if you add mangesium metal into nitric acid it will concentrate it. Has anybody ever tried it ?

[Edited on 17-9-2018 by underground]
DrManhattan
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 05:45

Hi, just wondering if Mercury Fulminate is compatible with aluminium as i have heard most people say that brass should be used for a mercury fulminate cap.
walruslover69
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 08:25

I would not recommend using anything aluminium with mercury or its salts.
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 08:27

Mercury fulminate reacts rapidly with aluminium forming Al2O3 when in direct contact. The trace amounts of elemental mercury within the product would as well forming amalgam. Copper is another no no.

I have read that it reacts much slower with other metals like brass and bronze but faster if moisture is present. One metal that ot does not react with is nickel though.

You can either use a more compatible metal and apply a protective coating to the surface so it does not come in direct contact or use another primary.

Hope that helps.

The only use for an atomic bomb is to keep somebody else from using one.
George Wald
DrManhattan
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 02:51

Exactly the answer i was looking for. Many thanks.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 04:17

Copper has been used for MF during WW1 and I've seen a good deal of copper in WW2 items aswell.
Are you certain about this ?
greenlight
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 08:38

I will check some literature when I get home but I am quite sure that the copper was coated in a protective lacquer. I will get back to you though:)

George Wald
greenlight
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 10:50

From Primary explosives, pg 48;

"Moist MF reacts with copper giving copper fulminate which is less sensitive to impact but more sensitive to friction the MF itself. The presence of moisture is necessary for the formation of copper fulminate. Another side effect the reaction of copper is the precipitation of mercury which forms an amalgam that may weaken the copper cap which the MF is embedded in.
It is therefore necessary to prevent contact of MF with copper in its applications protective coating or nicking of the copper surface."

Seems like these reactions are very slow though but my money would be on the fact that these WWll copper detonators would have been protected in some way from direct contact with the mercury fulminate.

[Edited on 12-11-2018 by greenlight]

George Wald
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2018 at 12:19

An idea that i was thinking for a long time but i did never posted cause i thought that maybe it will be a dump idea but i decided to post it anyway :p

I was thinking if it is possible to increase the density of an energetic material by cooling it.
nitro-genes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-11-2018 at 16:49

Cooling the energetic material could indeed improve it's density, though how much would really depend on phase transition temperatures and on the chemical structure. Water for example forms an extensive hydrogen bond network on cooling, making ice actually less dense than water itself. For most compounds shrinkage on cooling is only a few percent, so the effect for most compounds would probably not be very significant. It is an interesting question though what would happen with the detonation velocity at very low temperatures, it is well known that some primaries only make DDT reliably at warmer temperatures and can fail when cold (DDNP for example). If anything, I would say preheating a explosive could potentially increase its detonation velocity (Not sure though).

Hmmm, has this ever been tested? Take the most dense and heat stable explosive, heat it to the brim of its existence, detonate and measure VoD compared to cold? :)
Dornier 335A
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-11-2018 at 02:12

Cooling a HE would indeed increase its detonation velocity and detonation pressure. Those properties are much more strongly affected by density than energy of the material, where the thermal energy is included. Initiating detonation would probably be more difficult as you say nitro-genes, since the compound needs more of a kick to start a self sustaining detonation. I remember reading something about hot molten TNT being almost as sensitive as NG but it surely has lower VoD. I also think Urbanski listed the VoD of frozen NG to 8000 m/s, quite a bit higher than the normally reported 7700 m/s.
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-11-2018 at 07:12

Yea that is the point. For example maybe cooled PETN or ETN could achieve density and peformance like HMX or even higher.
Daffodile
Hazard to Others

Mood: Riding eternal

[*] posted on 25-11-2018 at 18:05

Bought a bunch of "Calcium Ammonium Nitrate" cold packs today from the store. However these things are rarely what they said so I tested it with Copper and some Sulfuric Acid, expecting a precipitate of Calcium Sulfate and emission of brown gas. The gas was produced but no precipitate occurred. Is Calcium Sulfate soluble in highly acidic solutions or is my salt likely just Ammonium Nitrate? Its hydrated but not hygroscopic.
walruslover69
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-11-2018 at 12:01

try to get a precipitate with sodium sulfate, or sodium carbonate
FeedMe94
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-1-2019 at 17:35

Is Lead Styphnate the "best" primary explosive ?

Edit^
I'm sure its not. I'm just asking because it is used in almost all commercial explosives

[Edited on 13-1-2019 by feedme94]
snooby
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-1-2019 at 09:38

No, its used as the first kickstart in a blastingcap, because ist very flame sensitive. The leadazide that follows is the real initiating compound. So beter for dextrinated leadazide, since it also quite sensitive towards other, safer priming compoundss. For example blackpowder.

Furthermore, there are better primarys (tetrazoles, which also have drawbacks btw). Go for BNCP is you want the holy grale in my opinion.
FeedMe94
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-1-2019 at 20:49

At the moment im on my way for SADS and TACP
otonel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-1-2019 at 06:15

I want to work with hydrazine hidrate and I want to ask about protective equipment required .I'll work out and wear gloves but I need to use the gas mask?
 Pages:  1  ..  64    66    68  ..  78

Go To Top