Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  68    70    72  ..  78
Author: Subject: Short question / quick answer - Thread
Simoski
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-5-2019 at 11:49

Quote: Originally posted by Laboratory of Liptakov  
You can use caramelit...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMfCzjMLz3w ......:cool:...LL

I will, thanks LL, will make great flare mix!

Daffodile
Hazard to Others

Mood: Riding eternal

[*] posted on 23-5-2019 at 17:25

Does anyone know a viable way to remove the methoxy and acetyl groups without having to reattach the amino group?

I really don't know where to go here and any help would be hugely appreciated.

Aniline.jpg - 8kB
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 06:25

What type of propellant do you think is being used? The brown smoke in the beginning I believe is from metal oxides.... but the thick white smoke seems peculiar... ?

Any chance they are using a EM we are not familiar with in the west.... my understanding is the Russians are ahead in explosive science.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/see-it-russia-test-launches-ne...
And here is a better video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qLV1Ao9QkpE

[Edited on 7-6-2019 by MineMan]
maldi-tof
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-6-2019 at 13:58

Quote: Originally posted by Simoski  
Are any copper salts fat soluble?

May not seem like an energetic material type of question, but if there are any I will disolve it is lard or tallow, add potassium chlorate and have me a new blue / green pyrotechnic star mix

[Edited on 23-5-2019 by Simoski]

Should organocopper compounds do the trick?
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2019 at 12:58

I have noticed that some old primary charges in detonators etc contain lead thiocyanate. I have made a little of this compound and it is not the least bit energetic so what is its purpose in these compositions? An exotic fuel?
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-6-2019 at 08:33

From wikipedia

"Lead(II) thiocyanate is a compound, more precisely a salt, with the formula Pb(SCN)2.It is a white crystalline solid, but will turn yellow upon exposure to light. It has use in small explosives, matches, and dyeing. Like other metal cyanides, Lead thiocyanate explodes on heating when mixed with sodium nitrite. Lead thiocyanate is used in explosives, specifically an ingredient in primers for small-arms cartridges, safety matches, and to reverse aniline black dyeing (Gideon)."
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-6-2019 at 12:17

I just found few AAAA Batteries from few 9v Batteries. I want to use their cases for caps, anyone have any idea how to remove everything and clean them inside ? It looks quite tricky.
James Ikanov
Hazard to Self

Mood: Zen

[*] posted on 26-7-2019 at 14:00

Quote: Originally posted by underground  
I just found few AAAA Batteries from few 9v Batteries. I want to use their cases for caps, anyone have any idea how to remove everything and clean them inside ? It looks quite tricky.

What kind of 9V battery? Do the AAAA's have tabs welded together between them?

“To do good work one must eat well, be well housed, have one's fling from time to time, smoke one's pipe, and drink one's coffee in peace” - Vincent Van Gogh
C6(NO2)5CH2CH(CH3)N(NO2)2
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-8-2019 at 15:55

I have been reading about chlorate based explosives in Chemistry of Powder and Explosives by Tenney Davis. I noticed that sodium chlorate based compositions were said to be slower and less powerful than their potassium counterparts. That is inspite of sodium chlorate having similar heat of decomposition to potassium chlorate, and 11 or 12% more oxygen per unit mass.

Were the sodium chlorate mixtures damp, or is their some other factor I am not taking into account here?

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 6-8-2019 at 12:07

Sometimes energetics materials behave strangely, despite assumptions based on their basic properties. Nothing humidity of NaClO3. Similarly as ice which is lighter than water. And only attempt and watching showes the truth...:cool:...LL

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2019 at 16:03

Quote: Originally posted by James Ikanov  

What kind of 9V battery? Do the AAAA's have tabs welded together between them?

Here is an example

[Edited on 7-8-2019 by underground]
snooby
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-10-2019 at 15:41

Can i make basic cobalt carbonaten from the nnitrate? I cant Find a supplier..
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2019 at 22:22

It seems likely that the basic carbonate has a rather low solubility and that the nitrate has a high solubility. If that is the case it is probably quite easy to do a simple metathesis, although you may need to adjust pH.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-11-2019 at 04:11

I currently have a disagreement with people working in the oil industry but I trust Sciencemadness a bit more on this. Specifically since some of you have done this kind of fractionnal distillation.

Is there or is there not benzene (C6H6, I know there is toluene, xylenes and others) in diesel fuel ?

Specifically diesel fuel. I know it's present in crude and in regular gasoline. Any details will be welcome.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 7-11-2019 at 01:08

As far as I can perceive the continuous fractionation process used for crude oil separation, there is in principle no possibility or completely removing components via this method or getting a very delicate separation. And it is not really needed for the end purpose of the oil industry.
The feed is entering the tower at about middle height and then proceeds to reditribute itself on the plates under reflux according to boiling points of the fractions. Inexorably the components of the mix have to move through the plates in the column continuously since the feed is entering the column continuously. Thus the fractions taken off from the various plates are always somewhat contaminated with the components that are still migrating through the column to "find their place in the system".
On the other hand a batch fractionation has no constant infeed and therefore one can deplete the boiler contents one by one according to rising boiling points as far the separation of the column allows for it. Thus a much finer separation of components can be achieved.

But of course the continuous fractionation of crude oil is not the only method that is used in oil refining and I'm sure it is possible to separate benzene from diesel fuel by other means if needed to do so.

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-11-2019 at 11:50
Hydrogen peroxide / urea

Has anyone any expirience with ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide_-_urea

It is not a primary but can be detonated. I have no idea for its properties, sensitivity VoD e.t.c. It may be a good way to use some peroxide.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 11-11-2019 at 20:31

Has anyone any expirience with ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide_-_urea

It is not a primary but can be detonated. I have no idea for its properties, sensitivity VoD e.t.c. It may be a good way to use some peroxide.

No experience, but I was interested when I first learned of this too.

From the fact you can ship an lb. of it without HazMat fees in the US mail, I would guess it's pretty insensitive...

https://www.firefox-fx.com/ChemU-Z.htm

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 02:34

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

No experience, but I was interested when I first learned of this too.

From the fact you can ship an lb. of it without HazMat fees in the US mail, I would guess it's pretty insensitive...

https://www.firefox-fx.com/ChemU-Z.htm

Yea, it is actually a mixture of urea and 100% HP by 1:1 Not even a new material. I guess it would be at the range of +5000m/sec VoD and seems like a good way to use some HP. Most of the peroxides are super sensitive but UHP is not.

[Edited on 12-11-2019 by underground]
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 04:44

Quote: Originally posted by markx  
As far as I can perceive the continuous fractionation process used for crude oil separation, there is in principle no possibility or completely removing components via this method or getting a very delicate separation. And it is not really needed for the end purpose of the oil industry.
The feed is entering the tower at about middle height and then proceeds to reditribute itself on the plates under reflux according to boiling points of the fractions. Inexorably the components of the mix have to move through the plates in the column continuously since the feed is entering the column continuously. Thus the fractions taken off from the various plates are always somewhat contaminated with the components that are still migrating through the column to "find their place in the system".
On the other hand a batch fractionation has no constant infeed and therefore one can deplete the boiler contents one by one according to rising boiling points as far the separation of the column allows for it. Thus a much finer separation of components can be achieved.

But of course the continuous fractionation of crude oil is not the only method that is used in oil refining and I'm sure it is possible to separate benzene from diesel fuel by other means if needed to do so.

Thanks Marks.
That answers and goes beyond my question.

In the meantime I found this very interesting paper:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/288133039_The_compo...

Quite interesting to compare the results of what goes in the tanks with what comes out of the exhaust.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 05:02
Hydrogen Peroxide Urea can haz detonations?

On a quick look, someone thinks this is a "sleeper", awaiting the first major industrial accident where regulators are forced to notice that yes, indeed, it can go "boom"- As was ammonium nitrate before the Oppau disaster and nitro methane before the two 1958 Niagara NY and Pulaski IL railroad tank car explosion disasters.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/prep.2016001...

Quote:

It is not sensitive to impact and friction. However, we demonstrated that UHP (ρ=0.93 g cm−3; packed into a steel pipe with inner diameter of 206 mm) detonates with experimental velocity of detonation (VOD) of 3780 m s−1. Moreover, for UHP with maximal theoretical density (ρ=1.43 g cm−3), the calculated VOD reaches 5219 m s−1. Based on our findings, we recommend that present regulations regarding the handling, storage and transportation of the UHP should be revised, especially in cases, where UHP is kept on a large scale, under confinement and at places where the temperature can reach above 60 °C.

From other information on industrial uses, I suspect that a sample of this contaminated with a suitable decomposition catalyst (Sodium tungstate?) might be more inclined towards "friskiness".

[Edited on 11-12-2019 by Bert]

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 22:49

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
On a quick look, someone thinks this is a "sleeper", awaiting the first major industrial accident where regulators are forced to notice that yes, indeed, it can go "boom"- As was ammonium nitrate before the Oppau disaster and nitro methane before the two 1958 Niagara NY and Pulaski IL railroad tank car explosion disasters.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/prep.2016001...

Quote:

It is not sensitive to impact and friction. However, we demonstrated that UHP (ρ=0.93 g cm−3; packed into a steel pipe with inner diameter of 206 mm) detonates with experimental velocity of detonation (VOD) of 3780 m s−1. Moreover, for UHP with maximal theoretical density (ρ=1.43 g cm−3), the calculated VOD reaches 5219 m s−1. Based on our findings, we recommend that present regulations regarding the handling, storage and transportation of the UHP should be revised, especially in cases, where UHP is kept on a large scale, under confinement and at places where the temperature can reach above 60 °C.

From other information on industrial uses, I suspect that a sample of this contaminated with a suitable decomposition catalyst (Sodium tungstate?) might be more inclined towards "friskiness".

Yes, Bert thus has been on my radar too... was actually hoping it wouldn’t pop up on the form because it is essentially a insensitive secondary that can be shipped without any ATF or hazmat.... afraid even posting on here can change that. I thought it would have good potential for a binary... such as mixed with NM. 5200m/s isn’t too bad. And it’s cheap too! So wish thus was still my secret, but cats out of the bag!
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 13-11-2019 at 20:47

Nitromethane is a tad low on Oxygen. The urea peroxide is too.

How 'bout trying it in a mixture with an oxidizer or an oxygen positive HE.

In very small quantities, mind you!

My first thought was how it might behave towards admixture of a nice thin NC/NG jelly. My second thought was, I like my hands too much to find out.

Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-11-2019 at 23:32

I experimented with urea peroxide many years ago. The synthesis was easy and high yielding, and the product was surprisingly insensitive. It burned in a manner that made me think "propellant" so I experimented a little with it as an alternative to NC.
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 18-11-2019 at 06:07

Quote: Originally posted by Microtek  
It burned in a manner that made me think "propellant" so I experimented a little with it as an alternative to NC.

Did you get it to perform in a rocket motor? The source I posted is, of course, a high power rocketry materials supplier.

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-11-2019 at 11:34

Quote: Originally posted by Microtek  
I experimented with urea peroxide many years ago. The synthesis was easy and high yielding, and the product was surprisingly insensitive. It burned in a manner that made me think "propellant" so I experimented a little with it as an alternative to NC.

Alternative to NC... so can it be used as a binder?
 Pages:  1  ..  68    70    72  ..  78

Go To Top