Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  72    74    76  ..  78
Author: Subject: Short question / quick answer - Thread
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2021 at 14:16

That sounds good. It will need maybe some experimentation for it to work. But I got other question related to NHN synthesis.

For the hydrazine, when making it using the Hoffman degradation of urea (how I made hydrazine sulfate) would the hydrazine that is made before the addition of sulfuric acid and cooling to extract the hydrazine sulfate be adequate to make nickel hydrazine nitrate? As in just adding the nickel nitrate solution to the hydrazine at 65 C be enough? That seems much easier than making the sulfate then freebasing it again. I can make the hydrazine and use it on the spot instead of storing it for later.

Also about the nickel nitrate hexahydrate. I saw people make it with nickel metal, nitric acid, and hydrogen peroxide as a catalyst. Do we need to dry it or boil it down to extract the hexahydrate, or would simply refluxing the three reagents for a few hours be enough? And the resulting solution added to the hydrazine as prepared above?
katyushaslab
Hazard to Self

Mood: precipitating

[*] posted on 27-11-2021 at 05:01

No, the hydrazine in solution with unreacted urea, unreacted NaOCl, and all the side products is not going to be clean enough to work with.

You need to extract it as hydrazine sulfate, then freebase. This step will ensure that you have a clean enough starting material, no weird fucking side reactions, etc.
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-11-2021 at 19:38

OK that makes sense.

So I think this will likely be my final question for a good while... when making the nickel nitrate. I've seen everyone react nickel metal (I have 99.6% pure nickel metal. It's very shiny and extremely clean) that's been cut to tiny pieces. The process I've seen is to add around 30% hydrogen peroxide to it as a catalyst and 68% nitric acid in a flask and then to reflux it gently for several hours. (I plan on using a hot water bath for this and never let the water reach a rolling boil around 90C or so should be sufficient).

After refluxing for hours, can this mixture be added directly to the hydrazine or would it need to be filtered? If the hexahydrate needs to be vacuum filtered, what is the optimal way of cleaning the buchner funnel? Just distilled/tap water or any other solvent is necessary? I heard that that Nickel Nitrate hexahydrate is hard to filter as it is a very fine particulate. Would it go through several layers of coffee filters?

Just getting info for the NHN synthesis. The HDN/RDX/Keto-RDX seems simple as all I need for that is fuming nitric acid at this point.
katyushaslab
Hazard to Self

Mood: precipitating

[*] posted on 29-11-2021 at 05:34

I can't really answer to the "making nickel nitrate" question authoritatively, given I just buy my nickel nitrate.

I would, however, strongly advise filtering the nickel nitrate solution, boiling it down, and maybe recrystallizing from distilled water - just to remove any unreacted nickel, etc. If I recall correctly, nickel might be one of those metals that can cause hydrazine to decompose.

More steps cleaning up your reactants will result in a safer, more reliable product. Taking shortcuts is inadvisable (though sometimes oh so tempting).

As for the HDN/RDX: a good efficiency tip is to use any weak nitric (say, created from traps while distilling - see the NurdRage videos) to make the HDN. As for the RDX part - you want white fuming nitric instead of red fuming nitric, bubbling dry air through RFNA will clear it up. Some people add a small amount of urea to clear their nitric, but I've had mixed results with that, dry air bubbling has been more reliable.

ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2021 at 06:06

I have a small palm-sized 12v air pump (works for blowing and vacuum) and some clear PVC tubing. I did heard that vinyl plastic doesn't get destroyed easily by highly concentrated nitric acid, so I will cut a short length to bubble out the NO2 when I make some more nitric acid. I know that the specific gravity of the acid must be 1.49 or 1.50 at room temperature it for it to be WFNA and work for RDX or Keto-RDX. I think I might try doing keto-RDX as it seems more powerful and still retains the stability of RDX. Also it would require a nitrating mixture of H2SO4 that will let me use up my remaining H2SO4 and stretch my WFNA supply.
Lomax
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-4-2022 at 14:16

I have a question, can i use sodium bisulfate as a dehydration agent for Nitrourea or Nitroguanidine?
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 17-4-2022 at 14:46

Quote: Originally posted by ManyInterests  
I have a small palm-sized 12v air pump (works for blowing and vacuum) and some clear PVC tubing. I did heard that vinyl plastic doesn't get destroyed easily by highly concentrated nitric acid, so I will cut a short length to bubble out the NO2 when I make some more nitric acid.

I have noticed considerable vacuum formation inside of a sealed apparatus connected to a bubblier, resulting in water sucking back into my collection flask. The best method I have discovered is by using a cold trap with dry ice to solidify the gas. After the no2 generating reaction is complete, I add an equal volume of ice to the cold trap and allow the apparatus to slowly warm up. The reaction produces a consentrated nitric acid

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2022 at 17:57

Quote: Originally posted by Lomax  
I have a question, can i use sodium bisulfate as a dehydration agent for Nitrourea or Nitroguanidine?

Instead of sulfuric acid?
Lomax
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-4-2022 at 20:41

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  

Yes sience sulfuric acid can be replaced with sodium bisulfate for a number of reactions (Nitric Acid) for example. I thought it can be used as a dehydration agent for Nitrourea or Nitroguanidine sience Conc. Sulfuric Acid is very regulated in my country.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2022 at 06:05

Yes sience sulfuric acid can be replaced with sodium bisulfate for a number of reactions (Nitric Acid) for example. I thought it can be used as a dehydration agent for Nitrourea or Nitroguanidine sience Conc. Sulfuric Acid is very regulated in my country.

Someone on here will know. It may be better to post in general chemistry. Can you try it yourself as well… everyone would be very interested in this answer
Lomax
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-4-2022 at 06:19

Someone on here will know. It may be better to post in general chemistry. Can you try it yourself as well… everyone would be very interested in this answer

Ok
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-6-2022 at 12:51

I have a cylinder-shaped pencil holder like thing consisting of a tower of spaced aluminum rings and at the base a disc of clear glass bonded to the bottom aluminum ring. It looks like a clear glue of some sort so I tried heating it as much as I dared to break the bond and also acetone for the heck of it. Maybe it's an epoxy glue but what typically is used to glue glass and is there something that might break the bond? Maybe it's silicone.

[Edited on 20-6-2022 by Morgan]
specialactivitieSK
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-7-2022 at 00:39

What exactly is LD-70 carrier? Thx.
https://youtu.be/h_zQUrvP_LE
jerry0nim0
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-9-2022 at 02:39

Quote: Originally posted by specialactivitieSK  
What exactly is LD-70 carrier? Thx.
https://youtu.be/h_zQUrvP_LE

I've found something like this:
"[...] LD-70, a plastigel binder containing polyacrylate and dinitrodiethyleneglycol (70 %), dinitrotriethyleneglycol (30 %) monopropellants"
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2022 at 23:36

What is going to yield when diaminourea/diaminoguanidine dinitrate reacting with 98% H2SO4 at low temp ? (similar to guanidine nitrate forming nitroguanidine)
otonel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 27-11-2022 at 08:30

What is the best method to make picric acid from tetryl (2,4,6-Trinitrophenylmethylnitramine)?

[Edited on 27-11-2022 by otonel]
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-11-2022 at 10:00

@underground It may likely form the Aminonitroguanidine (ANQ) or Dinitroguanidine (DNQ) but the classical synth of DNQ iirc involves direct nitration of NQ with Oleum and WFNA. Either way, the DNQ and Dinitrourea (DNU) are both known as extremely unstable to STP conditions and will hydrolzye before they’re ever useful. ANQ is stable though but the normal synth to that involves amination of NQ - see DBXLabs’ prep for deets.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-12-2022 at 21:11
Nitrosoguanidine sensitivity?

I know nitrosoguanidine is referenced as a demonstration novelty, but it is reported to act as a primary explosive, sensitive to match head heat. Has anyone tried to dope other explosives with nitrosoguanidine? to use the nitroso as a catalytic sensitizer to then initiate reaction in another borderline secondary like ETN/PETN?
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-12-2022 at 11:30

It might be useful on its own but nitrosoguanidine is notoriously carcinogenic. AFAIK the cyclic nitroso analogues are much less toxic than even their nitro counterparts but aliphatic (especially guanidine) nitroso compounds are to be handled extremely carefully (assuming you want kids in the future). Polynitroimidazoles, formed via the decomp and oxidative nitrosation of nucleotide bases (Adenosine & xanthines) or through condensation of guanidines and dialdehydes or guanidines and glycine, could prove useful for boosters - at least that’s what I’m trying to look into.

Otherwise, I’d just stick with the classic trains like NiAQ-ClO4 or LS/Ba(ClO3)2 -> pressed PETN or CHP -> bulk EM. Sensitizing ETN and/or PETN beyond their normal decomp temperatures sounds like it could be sketchy but if you think it could be useful... there’s no harm in testing (small scale ofc).
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-12-2022 at 22:03
Nitroguanidine reduction

I screwed up an electrolytic nitroguanidine reduction by using a copper anode. This creates a red colored substance from the nitroguanidine at cathode on lead, with a clay pot diaphragm separation. I have actually done this before mistakenly a few years ago, so it felt really stupid to see again, but I forgot. I also forgot what this material is. I dont want to throw it out. It's red and smells of ammonia and is in the cathode compartment. I think Thiel writes about it but I cant find it. If anyone remembers what this substance is please share. Thank you. I think maybe it's a strange tetrazine...cant remember

[Edited on 14-12-2022 by Hey Buddy]
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-12-2022 at 19:29
Guanidine reaction with hydrazine?

Does anyone know what the product of hydrazinolysis of simple guanidine is? I would assume aminoguanidine, analogous to NQ hydrazinolysis giving ANQ. --Cant find examples of this reaction anywhere.

In searching I found a NASA technical report: Aminoguanidine Nitrate can be made from NQ + N2H4 +NH4NO3 or NQ + N2H4*HNO3 in ammonia solution. Still not sure what comes of Guanidine.

[Edited on 28-12-2022 by Hey Buddy]

[Edited on 28-12-2022 by Hey Buddy]
Mr.Fluorine
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-1-2023 at 09:14

I've been trying to figure out what the reason is for PETN being so much more insensitive than other alkyl nitrate esters. Nitroglycerin or ETN are considered much more sensitive, why is this? Is it due to steric strain or maybe primary nitrate esters are just much less sensitive?
BerthelotOnCrack
Harmless

Mood: smelling NO2

[*] posted on 3-1-2023 at 08:45

In the wiki, the proposed nitrocellulose synthesis uses only 2.5 grams of cellulose for 0.25 moles of nitrated salt and 50mL sulfuric, but according to wikipedia a mole of nitrocellulose is 3 moles of nitrogen, so with 0.25 moles of nitrogen in the salt, say KNO3 here, you could make 0.083 moles of nitrocellulose aka... 13.4 grams of ideally trinitrated nitro. Is there a specific reason to waste so much nitrates here ? Or was it just for safety concerns

Edit: Also has anyone tried mashing paper to get the cellulose ? It would be more convenient than buying 20 bags of 10g of cellulose and I think they use pure wood pulp in industrial bullet propellant production, which is exactly that

[Edited on 3-1-2023 by BerthelotOnCrack]
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 3-1-2023 at 08:57

NOx is a side product removing nitrate from the reaction.

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
BerthelotOnCrack
Harmless

Mood: smelling NO2

[*] posted on 3-1-2023 at 11:21

Given I have done only a couple nitrations yet, I'm not saying you are wrong but if 81% of the nitrates formed NO2 I would be dead or something, I recently made ~50 grams of nitro at once and there was *zero* orange fumes, It would have been apocalyptic
 Pages:  1  ..  72    74    76  ..  78

Go To Top