Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  55    57
Author: Subject: Short question / quick answer - Thread
magyarvegyesz
Harmless
*




Posts: 2
Registered: 20-3-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 01:45


Amstrong's mix is very sensitive, if i where you i don't use it for primer. There are some less sensitive and easy to prepare primers that you can use.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 2847
Registered: 20-5-2002
Location: Brussel
Member Is Offline

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 12-10-2017 at 03:09


Quote: Originally posted by Hexogen  
I understand the instability of Armstrong's mixture due to it composing of a strong oxidizer and red phosphorous.

Would it be possible to set off a mix of 9:1 mix of KClO3 and PIB
(Polyisobutylene) ?

Not only that explaination...
Red P is a reducing stuff (thus a fuel for the oxidizer).
Red P is so reducing that it reacts superficially to make some P2O5 (at a lower speed than white P)... the later turns into H3PO4 from air moisture... acids are uncompatible with chlorates since they set HClO3 free and explosive ClO2.
Also P2O5 may set directly very reactive (explosive) Cl2O5 free out of the chlorate...

The PIB/chlorate (KClO3) initiation has already been discussed a few days ago




PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Hexogen
Harmless
*




Posts: 6
Registered: 10-10-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 14-10-2017 at 03:28


Quote: Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone  
Quote: Originally posted by Hexogen  
I understand the instability of Armstrong's mixture due to it composing of a strong oxidizer and red phosphorous.

Would it be possible to set off a mix of 9:1 mix of KClO3 and PIB
(Polyisobutylene) ?

Not only that explaination...
Red P is a reducing stuff (thus a fuel for the oxidizer).
Red P is so reducing that it reacts superficially to make some P2O5 (at a lower speed than white P)... the later turns into H3PO4 from air moisture... acids are incompatible with chlorates since they set HClO3 free and explosive ClO2.
Also P2O5 may set directly very reactive (explosive) Cl2O5 free out of the chlorate...

The PIB/chlorate (KClO3) initiation has already been discussed a few days ago


Ah I see, I overlooked the underlying reactions that may occur with the red phosphorus.

Anyway I plan to synthesize a small amount (<15g) of HMTD which I plan to use as the primary ASAP when I prepare the Cheddite C.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
kratomiter
Hazard to Self
**




Posts: 93
Registered: 30-9-2012
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 14-10-2017 at 14:30


15 g HMTD, even 10 g, is not a small amount. It is enough to detonate even unconfined.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Hexogen
Harmless
*




Posts: 6
Registered: 10-10-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 14-10-2017 at 18:29


Quote: Originally posted by kratomiter  
15 g HMTD, even 10 g, is not a small amount. It is enough to detonate even unconfined.


That's just a theoretical amount, since I hope to only use it for a blasting cap.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Bert
Super Administrator
*********




Posts: 1948
Registered: 12-3-2004
Location: Blasted Hellish frozen Northern wastelands
Member Is Offline

Mood: Negative, I am a meat Popsicle.

[*] posted on 14-10-2017 at 21:17


Say hi to Phone for us when you meet him.


Quote:
Originally posted by Bismuth
||
|| Phone's post before he killed himself that weekend are definitely on the E&W archive. See "Storing the AP" on the archive and you'll see his post...
||
|| ===========================================
|| phone
|| February 21st, 2004, 07:08 AM
|| i wonder if in europe there is anyone that uses mehenamine for fire tablets or other things..i found only petrol derivate tablets...
||
||
|| Yeah. They´re german, I don´t have the pack right here, but it´s almost pure methanamine (or how you now spell that lame word). You just solve it in aceton and you get it pure (or was it water) I haven´t really memorized it since I am an AP lamer (but I do own a pack with methanamine), HMTD is nutting for me :P, but hey, first time I did AP I did 80 grams, second 120 grams, third time (yesterday, drying today) something about a kilo or more... :P I GONNA BLOW MY FRICKING ARMS OFF! And yeah, I don´t treat AP with respect, but well, I got plenty of cold, snow and ice outside so my AP is usually quite resistant against pressure e.tc. Well, right now my brain feels like weird, I gonna have to put up a few lamps e.tc. (it dried overnight, switched the newsspaper it was on) and I think I gonna put up a few lamps to get the bitch dry faster. Well, my moms out of the weekend, that´s why I am sitting here with over 1 kilo AP and lots and lots and lots AN. Well, sure, I spam... but.. hey! :P Well.
||
||
|| Well, almost forgot, I always take all my explosives and just make 1 big fucking bomb of it. 1 kilo AP and a couple of kílos AN coming up.
|| ===========================================
||
|| Now, that was Feb 21st. Now we look at this thread posted on Feb 22nd:
|| http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1570






Boom.
The explosion removed the windows, the door and most of the chimney.
It was the sort of thing you expected in the Street of alchemists. The neighbors preferred explosions, which were at least identifiable and soon over. They were better than the smells, which crept up on you.
-Terry Pratchett, "Moving Pictures"

It is essential that persons having explosive 
substances under their charge should never 
lose sight of the conviction that, preventive 
measures should always be prescribed 
on the hypothesis of an explosion.

Marcellin Berthelot - 1892 
Explosives and their power - Page 47
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Hexogen
Harmless
*




Posts: 6
Registered: 10-10-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 14-10-2017 at 23:43


Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Say hi to Phone for us when you meet him.


Quote:
Originally posted by Bismuth
||
|| Phone's post before he killed himself that weekend are definitely on the E&W archive. See "Storing the AP" on the archive and you'll see his post...
||
|| ===========================================
|| phone
|| February 21st, 2004, 07:08 AM
|| i wonder if in europe there is anyone that uses mehenamine for fire tablets or other things..i found only petrol derivate tablets...
||
||
|| Yeah. They´re german, I don´t have the pack right here, but it´s almost pure methanamine (or how you now spell that lame word). You just solve it in aceton and you get it pure (or was it water) I haven´t really memorized it since I am an AP lamer (but I do own a pack with methanamine), HMTD is nutting for me :P, but hey, first time I did AP I did 80 grams, second 120 grams, third time (yesterday, drying today) something about a kilo or more... :P I GONNA BLOW MY FRICKING ARMS OFF! And yeah, I don´t treat AP with respect, but well, I got plenty of cold, snow and ice outside so my AP is usually quite resistant against pressure e.tc. Well, right now my brain feels like weird, I gonna have to put up a few lamps e.tc. (it dried overnight, switched the newsspaper it was on) and I think I gonna put up a few lamps to get the bitch dry faster. Well, my moms out of the weekend, that´s why I am sitting here with over 1 kilo AP and lots and lots and lots AN. Well, sure, I spam... but.. hey! :P Well.
||
||
|| Well, almost forgot, I always take all my explosives and just make 1 big fucking bomb of it. 1 kilo AP and a couple of kílos AN coming up.
|| ===========================================
||
|| Now, that was Feb 21st. Now we look at this thread posted on Feb 22nd:
|| http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1570



Why was he making large amounts of a primary explosive ?

Why was he making TATP ?


View user's profile View All Posts By User
Bert
Super Administrator
*********




Posts: 1948
Registered: 12-3-2004
Location: Blasted Hellish frozen Northern wastelands
Member Is Offline

Mood: Negative, I am a meat Popsicle.

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 20:46


Phone.

He was a kid, not an especially thoughtful one, who wanted to hear a big BANG. Then he was a dead kid, scattered over the snow in his local park in Sweden, because he went back to a charge after fire had been applied, as he was both ignorant and impatient (he thought it had failed. It had not...) At least he did not kill his friends or the neighbors in his mother's apartment building.

I responded to that post, probably in the last couple of hours he was alive. Still regret what I wrote, and wish I could have written something to make him see how dangerous what was doing was instead. Some people just can not learn safety any way but by peeing on an electric fence for themselves. Are you one of them?




Boom.
The explosion removed the windows, the door and most of the chimney.
It was the sort of thing you expected in the Street of alchemists. The neighbors preferred explosions, which were at least identifiable and soon over. They were better than the smells, which crept up on you.
-Terry Pratchett, "Moving Pictures"

It is essential that persons having explosive 
substances under their charge should never 
lose sight of the conviction that, preventive 
measures should always be prescribed 
on the hypothesis of an explosion.

Marcellin Berthelot - 1892 
Explosives and their power - Page 47
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Hexogen
Harmless
*




Posts: 6
Registered: 10-10-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 01:46


Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Phone.

He was a kid, not an especially thoughtful one, who wanted to hear a big BANG. Then he was a dead kid, scattered over the snow in his local park in Sweden, because he went back to a charge after fire had been applied, as he was both ignorant and impatient (he thought it had failed. It had not...) At least he did not kill his friends or the neighbors in his mother's apartment building.

I responded to that post, probably in the last couple of hours he was alive. Still regret what I wrote, and wish I could have written something to make him see how dangerous what was doing was instead. Some people just can not learn safety any way but by peeing on an electric fence for themselves. Are you one of them?


I am fully aware of anything that can go wrong (Murphy's law) and is why you cannot skip on PPE and some common sense.
If I wanted to hear a bang, a firecracker would do.
Chemistry is love, chemistry is life.

I have done fireworks before (nothing compared to the power of EM) where people think it's failed only to get almost deafened.

Thank you for bringing this up as it might be sensitive too you, since you may think it's your fault.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 2847
Registered: 20-5-2002
Location: Brussel
Member Is Offline

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 03:22


Love of chemistry and love of life is good :)... but careless love of chemistry can be lethal :(

Maybe that he was too enthousiastic about his first succes... and thought he masterizes the stuff and its inherent dangers...
Also the fact he was in a demo mode (kind of braging in front of his friend) didn't help...
==> he was less cautious and careless... then he faced his own death.

Just to ear a good bang... no need for 80g, 120g or 1kg+ CTAP :( nor to risk someone's life...

Edit:
Peroxides are sensitives bitches, HMTD even more so than CTAP...
Playing with it in large amounts is suicidal... even tiny amounts can cause injuries... cristalline stress during cristallization due to an error into the cristal lattice may cause premature detonation under the slightest pressure/friction.
So sometimes it is relatively stable and doesn't cause troubles during handling... but once in a while it does... there are countless reports of those incidents.

[Edited on 18-10-2017 by PHILOU Zrealone]




PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Bert
Super Administrator
*********




Posts: 1948
Registered: 12-3-2004
Location: Blasted Hellish frozen Northern wastelands
Member Is Offline

Mood: Negative, I am a meat Popsicle.

[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 22:17



Quote:

I am fully aware of anything that can go wrong


Nope.




Boom.
The explosion removed the windows, the door and most of the chimney.
It was the sort of thing you expected in the Street of alchemists. The neighbors preferred explosions, which were at least identifiable and soon over. They were better than the smells, which crept up on you.
-Terry Pratchett, "Moving Pictures"

It is essential that persons having explosive 
substances under their charge should never 
lose sight of the conviction that, preventive 
measures should always be prescribed 
on the hypothesis of an explosion.

Marcellin Berthelot - 1892 
Explosives and their power - Page 47
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Hexogen
Harmless
*




Posts: 6
Registered: 10-10-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 19-10-2017 at 23:19


Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

Quote:

I am fully aware of anything that can go wrong


Nope.


Everything will go wrong.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
 Pages:  1  ..  55    57

  Go To Top