Printable Version  
Author: Subject: reagents and solvent
UrethaneChemist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 05:34
reagents and solvent

Hello SM!

We have various reagents and solvents both unopened and used that are not needed in our R&D lab. I would be glad to post a list of items if it is necessary, but there a few on the top of my head that are definitly not needed right now. I'm trying to list some useful chems as I was once as well a chemistry enthusiast. All prices will be reasonable. But no low blow offers

Lithium Aluminum Hydride Chinese supplier 1 kg
Sodium cyanoborohydride sigma Aldrich 25 g
Silver nitrate 500 g
Acetamide 1kg
Iodine chips sigma Aldrich
Mercury metal 200 g Sigma Aldrich
Nitromethane 1 L
Benzaldehyde 100 g
Palladium chloride 1gram
pTSA 1 kg

Acids (all Fischer scientific)
2.5 L HNO3
2.5 L glacial acetic acid
2.5 L sulfuric acid
2.5 L HCl

Most solvents available in 4 L
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 05:58

and where are you located?
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

Mood: manic

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 06:11

I would be interested in some of these, could you put up pictures of some of these together?
Just be good to verify they actually exist, sorry:P.
The solvents would actually be what I'm most interested in, it's kinda hard to get certain lab grade solvents at reasonable prices.

And out of curiosity, what kind of R&D do you do?

@steve
I'm guessing US, seems like the only country where people forget that other countries exist. Let's see if I'm right haha

[Edited on 17-10-2013 by *FWOOSH*]
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 08:35

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
Introduce yourself; this isn't eBay.

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 09:40

Prices?
UrethaneChemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 10:03

For your sanity I will post some photos as they do exist. I'm not going to put prices up, you do the research online and make me an offer, and I'm all about saving you some money but what is going to cost me the most is shipping due to hazmat.

I live in the United States and I work on polyurethane Development for various applications, such as mechanical frothing of polyurethane foam for car cushons, foam backing for carpet, and also work on urethane backing for synthetic field turf
janmi
Harmless

Mood: reagent

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 19:28

From the details, it shows that UrethaneChemist is really experienced in purchasing reagents.

Lithium Aluminum Hydride is expensive, and its needed quantity is more than 1kg, it is very cost-effective to buy it from china, even add hazmat shipping charge,

The other reagents are cheap or small quantity, to buy it from local reagent company is a good choice.
[Edited on 18-10-2013 by janmi]

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 20:08

Okay.
Selling reagents is one thing.
Sockpuppeting is quite another. For science's sakes, even the mood of the puppet... what were you thinking?
Detritus, anyone?

I have two theories: Either this UrethaneChemist/janmi is a poorly-educated reagents seller who has no idea that we can see through a sockpuppet account in less than a second, or he's a cop. A cop who's trying to arrest people in the most hilariously obvious way possible.

[Edited on 10-18-2013 by elementcollector1]

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-10-2013 at 01:31

@elementcollector1
I was about to defend UrethaneChemist to some degree, but I went over that list of reagents again. It does kind of read like a list of reagents for various methods of amphetamine manufacture, when you look at it like that. People need to realize that popping into a community like this and going "Hey.... you wanna buy some lab grade reagents" is going to get a negative reaction.
Especially when you're dealing with a number of scheduled (a couple sched 1 and quite a few others) precursors.
Personally I think that kind of attitude is exactly what we should be avoiding, but it's really not that simple in the real world.
Be nice if he was legit though.

@UrethaneChemist
This really isn't anything personal, if you're genuinely interested in helping out fellow enthusiasts please give us an excuse to trust you. Because (A) This is the internet and (B) When you're playing with chemicals outside of the industry, at least in the US, people tend to jump to conclusions. So everyone's got to be careful.

I just went and skimmed the wikipedia article on polyurethane and just from that I have to say you are in a much more interesting field than I first thought:P
UrethaneChemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-10-2013 at 04:42

I guess I will just have to build some sort of reputation before you all realize I'm not working for the FEDs. Just kidding "you're all under arrest!"

@elementcollector1 I'm sorry for upsetting you, but neither of your given options of who I am are accurate. Second I'll more than gladly distribute chems to companies like AllChem, chemsavers, etc who specialize in 2nd hand chemicals. Or I'll use the reagents, experiment myself.

@FWOOSH thank you, yes urethane is a very great field to be in, the applications are endless and the chemistry is really simple once you know what properties specific polyols and isocyanates give. Right now im working on a product similar to the viscoelasticity of foam in TempurPedic. I wouldn't mind posting some general information and pictures if you are interested. However, some things I'm working on are "trade Secrets" and there isn't a lot of literature out their...primarily just patents.

Well I'm in no hurry so I'll try to sway some of you with some chemistry knowledge

[Edited on 18-10-2013 by UrethaneChemist]
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2013 at 05:14

Quote: Originally posted by janmi  
From the details, it shows that UrethaneChemist is really experienced in purchasing reagents.

Lithium Aluminum Hydride is expensive, and its needed quantity is more than 1kg, it is very cost-effective to buy it from china, even add hazmat shipping charge,

The other reagents are cheap or small quantity, to buy it from local reagent company is a good choice.

I still don't trust you. I've seen too many posts like this, written on a different account by the same user, to promote their argument/product. Not funny, and easily transparent.
First sentence of topic: One *should* buy from UrethaneChemist, as they are "clearly experienced". Clearly not, as they're willing to sell iodine, mercury metal and LiAH in truly ridiculous amounts over the Internet.
Mood: reagent (why would anyone put this as their mood, given the OP)
Post Count: 7 (not always an indicator, but given the circumstances
"Needed quantity"? What does that even mean? Who'd need more than 1kg of LiAH for anything?
Then, he advertises buying from a local company as a "good choice", and talks about a supplier from China (presumably again about LiAH, judging from your entry from it in the first post).
I could be wrong, and the two could be different accounts. I doubt it.

[Edited on 10-18-2013 by elementcollector1]

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2013 at 05:21

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
First sentence of topic: One *should* buy from UrethaneChemist, as they are "clearly experienced". Clearly not, as they're willing to sell iodine [...]
Anyone "clearly experienced" would know that iodine, as a List 1 chemical, requires filing with the DEA as a seller and payment of a fee large enough that casual sales could never be economical. So, UrethaneChemist, is your paperwork up to date?
UrethaneChemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-10-2013 at 05:56

The paper your talking about is an intended for use form. If it's an issue the iodine abd benzaldehyde will be taken off the list. I'm starting to see this is going to be more of a hassel then I expected. No sales need to be made as far as I'm concerned, I understand that many of you have a hard time obtaining chemicals for your personal enjoyment.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2013 at 06:35

It's going to be more of a hassle than you expected because we have no guarantee that you're a legitimate seller (the sockpuppet post notwithstanding), and you're selling some very suspicious stuff. Which, when you consider the sockpuppet account mentioned previously, is only the tip of the iceberg. I'm not exactly sure how you would prove that you two are different accounts, short of a trusted member finding both your IP addresses and comparing. Even then, I don't think that's foolproof. I'd like for you to be a legitimate seller - but I'm too jaded to believe that.

On top of shipping iodine, nitromethane and benzaldehyde (with no amount listed for the iodine), do you have any clue why one wouldn't ship 200g of mercury across the States? For one thing, you'd need a pretty darn strong container. For another, I presume a flood of paperwork would be necessary, more so than the iodine even. This is part of the reason we can't easily obtain these chemicals for our enjoyment, and the other is due to federal regulations regarding controlled substances and compounds.

I'm curious to know how exactly an R&D lab got their hands on what I would presume is unrelated to polyurethane chemistry. This is not an accusation, but it is rather interesting that such a lab would have both general-chem stuff and some of the rarer stuff (like palladium chloride, mercury and sodium cyanoborohydride).

Another thing I noticed in janmi's post: They claim stuff is 'cheap'...
We have yet to see any prices, mainly because the price is by request. Odd, much?

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2013 at 06:40

Quote: Originally posted by UrethaneChemist  
The paper your talking about is an intended for use form
No, it's not. The paperwork that sellers of iodine need to have is a license, a permission to sell as a distributor. It's DEA Form 510. See http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drugreg/index.html, and the DEA Diversion web site generally. Fee on the current version of that form is $ 1523.

There's no de minimis exemption. I think that's abusive, but it's also the law.
UrethaneChemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-10-2013 at 07:59

@elementcollecter1

A simple Google search would yield many legitamite articles for the use and production of MERCURY catalysts for polyurethane...in addition the use of NITROMETHANE for urethane foam for stabilization properties for CFCs. The aldehydes were tested for fragrances in urethane for the backing in carpet you know why? So your freaking house smells nice...go figure.

As for the other ILLEGAL chemicals you are in such fear over. Look up production of ISOCYANATE a needed compound for polyurethane reaction. Here ill spoon feed it to you since your a lazy (want-to-be) chemist:

MDI: benzene is nitrated to produce nitrobenzene. Following hydrogenated to aniline and condensed with formaldehyde to form diphenylmethane diamine. The polyamine is then reacted with phosgene in solvent to produce the isocyanate mixture.

Hense the need for many of the above chems. Goodbye
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2013 at 09:26

Mmm. Generally it's a bad idea to get emotional in front of your customers - calling me a "want-to-be" chemist and "lazy"? Bad form, sir, especially from a 'fellow chemistry enthusiast'. Also, I assume your "goodbye" at the end of your last post means you won't be coming back? In that case, this topic may as well be closed.
I'm not in fear over such chemicals, as I have most of those listed (mercury, iodine, palladium and silver compounds, and most of the strong acids) already. I am wary of a seller who not only lists such troubling substances having no idea of the paperwork involved, but then goes on to type in all caps when called out on it - a classic youngster method of sounding angry on the internet.
So far, your "spoonfeeding" checks out. It's not really spoonfeeding, because I never asked you to give me the answers - just to explain why such a curious variety of compounds was used, which you have accomplished. Congratulations.

Now, let me explain to you why I do not trust you, and why I think no one else here should, as clearly and carefully as I can.

1) Selling of Schedule 1 compounds (iodine, mercury, etc.) without knowledge of the paperwork and potential hazards involved.
2) Emotional language - this is disturbingly unlike an adult who simply wants to sell these objects. More reminiscent of a person my age who found them, and is promptly called out for trying to
3) Misspellings (legitimate, and, hassle) and use of caps (self-evident). This is probably the shakiest of my reasonings, because not everyone is such a Nazi about it as I am. Still, I would think an adult would show significantly better grammar.
4) The sockpuppet account 'janmi'. Every time I look at this, I am more and more convinced that that is what that is. Think about it - why would someone register (admittedly, some few days before the OP), make just 7 posts, and post in this thread about things we don't even know about (price of objects, "needed quantity", experience in purchasing)? If that isn't a textbook sockpuppet, I must be breathing bromine.

There is still the theoretical possibility that I'm wrong, and reading too far into this, but it's diminishing by the post.

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 30-10-2013 at 14:04

A guy could have a whole lot of fun in the backwoods of KY (USA) with that list!
Sounds like detritus to me..

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 31-10-2013 at 04:41
Moderator Warning

elementcollector1; enough.

*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-10-2013 at 09:45

This got extremely out of hand...

@UrethaneChemist
I would be very interested in that information you offered earlier, sorry I didn't reply to you sooner. Polymers (the intentional variety at least...) are a fascinating topic.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 31-10-2013 at 14:02

Quote: Originally posted by UrethaneChemist  
For your sanity I will post some photos as they do exist.
So, how about those photos?

*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 11:03

I've been waiting for those myself.

Go To Top