Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Carbon arc Furnace
toxin
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-5-2006 at 10:21

I don't trust using power directly from a wall outlet to produce a spark, is there anything wrong with poducing a spark for this furnace from something with a lower current yet high voltage like a stun gun powered from a salvaged computer power supply ?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 3-5-2006 at 11:38

It's not a spark, it's an arc. You want high current because well, high voltage sucks.

A stun gun especially. That has single pulses of limited energy. You need continuous power. Nothing a computer supply is capable of producing, either. More than four times that.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 3-5-2006 at 12:36

I once played with computer PSU connecting two graphite rods to 12V and gnd. This rail was rated to 8A at 12V and after some unsuccesfull atempts i was able to produce microscopic arc. I rubbed gently graphite rods with each other and sometimes there emerged small unstable arc. It was seen as very bright point of light and rods got hot almost immediately. Normally I managed to hold this arc 10 sec or less but in some cases it burned more than 1 min continously.

Such small and unstable arc has no practical value in my opinion but it was quite a fun to play with.
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 09:04

I have a way of producing a low powered arc easy enough, with two 110/220v transformers. I'll put the plan soon.

I discovered it by mistake, and you can create and sustain an 5 mm to 1 cm arc for as long as you want. You don't need carbon electrods either; it'll form from metal electrodes aswell. Not good for welding though, due to the low power.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 10:31

Oh yeah, heh, I was messing with my induction heater project one day, testing with a load resistor- on accident I loaded it across the power supply rails and got a handsome arc. This was +200VDC and a 50 ohm wirewound resistor, so around 4A flowing = 800W, until the resistor heats up and the value drifts anyway (depending on the tempco of the metal used for the resistor).

Beautiful arc, reasonably thick at 4A, good length about 1/8 or was it 1/4", hissing since it's a filtered DC supply, only popping when struck or broke. :D

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 11:08
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top