Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: plant biosythetic pathway?
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2004 at 04:06
plant biosythetic pathway?

How do one do to analyse what enzymes in a plant catalyze difrent steps in a biosythetic pathway? The precursors and intermediary products are known but not the enzymes involved.
Any suggestions?

[Edited on 14-10-2004 by Wolfram]
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2004 at 05:28
sorry

Sorry could you maybee move this to biochemistry admin??

Edit:Thanx:D

[Edited on 14-10-2004 by Wolfram]
Taaie-Neuskoek
Hazard to Others

Mood: Botanical!

[*] posted on 20-10-2004 at 03:16

You can do something with the photosynthesis pathway.

A nice experiment is to take a CAM plant, which take CO2 during nighttime to prevent water loses thru it's stomata, and detect malic acid after a time in the dark. additional CO2 can be fed into a jar to improve the effect more dramaticaly.

This a rather basic experiment, If you want I have a protocol for it.

i am currently working on terpene syntheses from plants, if interested I can post some info thereof.

I have to ask the researchers out here what I excactly can say, and what nót.

If you have more information on the equipment you have (eg GSMS, HPLC) and the level, I can maybe hand on some nice experiments.

Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience.
Star
Harmless

Mood: Closing Edge

[*] posted on 20-10-2004 at 12:08

hallo TNK,

Yes, I am interrested in terpene synthesis with plants, please Do post the Info here.

Crazy litlle mad angry edgy precious malicious amateurs,...hihihi
Taaie-Neuskoek
Hazard to Others

Mood: Botanical!

[*] posted on 20-10-2004 at 23:09

It is commonly known that terpenes are produced in plants. Essential oils are a very good example thereof; oil is actually not a very good name since no oil is present. Most essential oils contain mono and sesquiterpenes, where moneterpenes are 10 C figures and sesquiterpenes are C15 figures.

A lot of terpenes have been identified from different plant species, like limonene, germagrene A, a-pinene, the list goes on and on. On molecular level also a lot of cDNA's responsible for the synthesis of terpenes are known.

I can give some nice examples of cDNA's which were cloned and expressed in bacteria, but I don't think it is really easy on basement-lab scale. If you have a GCMS available with a suitable column for terpenes a lot of nice experiments can be performed.

The isolation of the oils present in plants is also a nice setup, steam distillation is the most common used.
If you have a soxhlet extractor, it is maybe nice to extract lavendel, or something else, with ethanol so you get some nice flavours. These flavours can be used in all your cooking experiments, or aromatherapy blabla.

I have a lot of info on the exact structure of terpenes, and on different cDNA's which are cloned. I also have a biosynthetic pathway somewhere.
I don't have access to the FTP, but I can mail the articles to someone for uploading.
(I hope Axehandle's vodka experiments do not have a to large effect on the functioning of the FTP...)

Again, with more detailed info on your lab-equipment, it is easier to give info...

For the sake of clarity, I do not have any chemical synthesis of any terpene, actual I am a molecular biologist / botanist, so no info thereon from MY side. If someone else has something nice....

TN

Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience.

Go To Top