Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oxidizing the methyl groups in caffeine
Jmap science
Yet another ID of SimpleChemist-238

Mood: No Mood

biggrin.gif posted on 24-10-2013 at 15:11
Oxidizing the methyl groups in caffeine

Could I oxidize the methyl groups of a caffeine to make a organic acid. Caffonic acid I guess.

:P

Attachment: Caffienonic Acid.cml (3kB)
This file has been downloaded 401 times

Attachment: Caffiene .cml (3kB)
This file has been downloaded 407 times

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
24-10-2013 at 16:42
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 25-10-2013 at 05:42

Formal oxidation of any of those methyl groups would give a carbamic acid or an N-cabamoylcarbamic acid. These cannot exist as such, because they decarboxylate immediately. So, such an oxidation would give theophylline, theobromine, paraxanthine, then the three N-methylxanthines, or ultimately xanthine itself by complete demethylation.
The oxidative demethylation of caffeine occurs in vivo from the cytochrome P450 oxidase. However, it does not necessarily take the complete oxidation to a COOH group to cleave the methyl groups.

PS: Please do not use software specific file formats. Use JPEG or GIF files so that whatever you have to show, shows already in the post.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Jmap science
Yet another ID of SimpleChemist-238

[*] posted on 25-10-2013 at 16:56

I was going to use KmnO4 and caffeine, what would that yield?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 26-10-2013 at 09:59

Probably a mixture of several compounds, depending on the conditions and stoichiometry. The imidazole ring can be oxidized and/or ring opening can occur. I already posted references for preparative synthesis of caffeine oxidation products (with HCl/H2O2 or HNO3) in another thread. I suggest you to start by reading those articles. You can additionally check the literature for oxidations with KMnO4.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top