Author: Subject: More news of explosives raid
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 8-11-2013 at 01:09
More news of explosives raid

Arrest over explosives

Police operation underway

So another one of these events just happened, in Western Australia. They're quite big news in Australia. This guy apparently made kilos of TATP. I have great respect for the people who had to find and deal with that stuff. One person received a 'minor chemical burn' but when one has to test kilos of TATP, I guess it could've been much worse.

This is one of a few similar events, I believe there was household explosives found in Sydney and Brisbane earlier this year.

Australia is a country that has experienced very little terrorism over the years, yet obviously from the article we take it very seriously.

Finally, to a question: Are stories like this big in other countries? I'm always curious to get a sort of world perspective on issues (which I find many Australians hate doing). ie Is Australia alone in its nature to quickly label things terrorism even though it has experienced little to none? This man's intentions probably weren't good don't get me wrong, but does it have to be said to be terrorism? I bet there's hundreds of similar raids due to drugs that get no media coverage, so are explosives raids big news everywhere?

I know I talk a lot, but I feel like these articles are of interest to you people. Feel free to inform me if i'm wrong haha

NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 8-11-2013 at 01:37

I read that it was 3kg of TATP.. this dude must have had a death wish or just ignorant to how dangerous what he was actually doing really was. makes you wonder what this guy's intentions for this amount were. it could only have been bad news. glad it was found before it was used. On the other hand it could a fabrication and be an attempt by big brother to somehow get peroxide outlawed here, that sounds a little far fetched but anything is possible....

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Tdep
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2013 at 01:51

Haha doubt it's a conspiracy. But deathwish, certainly. Like a news report pointed out, Western Australia is not short of explosives, being a huge mining state. But who's to comment on his mental state?

"...have a motorbike and, you know, people say is he a bikie"

If he was in Queensland, he would have already been arrested :P
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 8-11-2013 at 07:55

2kg.. 3 kg ?!?!
its like people have no goddamn fucking imagination of what they are doing.. bet he would be the kind you find jumping infront of a train and getting offended when his leg gets run over..

if he produced 3kg he would either be the god of AP or have no clue of its dangerous properties, even in wet state

anyhow, for the sake of entertainment and now having it all turned around, yes in these times its really good news to find a typical white man (you know what i mean by typical white man) to have dangerous amounts of explosives, but they would usually not use AP for such staged things, they would find much more common things alike gunpowder etc, doubtfully something conspirational, but hey i have been surprised before

where im from you have massive problems if youre found with 10g still in crystallization phase of the mentioned compound

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Agricola
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2013 at 18:27

Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  
Finally, to a question: Are stories like this big in other countries? I'm always curious to get a sort of world perspective on issues (which I find many Australians hate doing).

In Brazil explosives are used illegally only to blow up safes of banks, armored cars, and ATMs. Use Google Translator if necessary to check out some examples:

November 4, South, armored car

November 6, Northeast, ATM

The explosives used are always commercial ones diverted from legitimate sources and are never improvised, probably because the latter is not necessary due to the availability of the former.

The worst problem with acetone peroxide (AP) is that some people make and use this primary explosive as if it was a secondary explosive, which is obviously insane.

One example is the boy, from some Nordic country I think, nicknamed "phone" on the extinct Rogue Science forum, deceased years ago due to an accident with an AP pipe bomb he, if I recall correctly, manufactured and tried to set off on a park to impress some friends while his parents where on vacation, but the fuse-initiated device failed to explode when it should, so he went on to check it out and then it blew him up, like in those old cartoons, in front of the other boys.

Some secondary explosives available to amateur manufacturers are, for example, picric acid and urea nitrate.
Tdep
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2013 at 21:33

Ok the most interesting part of this story (which I missed) is the second part of the second article.

"It was initially believed the material was drug-related and it was transported to crime headquarters at Curtin House in the inner Perth suburb of Northbridge.

Early last night officers, concerned about an odour, alerted senior police who ordered its removal."

"Senior police say an investigation is also underway into how the highly volatile explosives came to be stored on the top floor of crime headquarters."

In short the police brought in 3 kilos of TATP to their headquarters and stored it there, for what one assumes to be a few hours.

Wow, talk about a high risk job!!
paulr1234
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-11-2013 at 23:24

I'm glad the cops didn't try snorting a few lines....
kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 00:43

Maybe His family was going to the church every day that that TATP isn't detonated...

Go To Top