Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: man made of silicon
Jay Maity
Harmless

Mood: need informatio

biggrin.gif posted on 26-10-2004 at 05:11
man made of silicon

let us consider about an unique man. All the constitunents of human body, as you know is mostly of carbon. If the carbon atoms were replaced by silicon, somehow, how the outer look would express it? Actually how could we recognise the silicon man?

jaymaity
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 26-10-2004 at 05:40

Recognition of such a man . . . just imagine yourself exhaling SiO2 and you'll grasp the idea :P

Theory guides, experiment decides.
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-10-2004 at 09:04

It could not happen, because Si, unlike C, can utilize empty 3d orbitals for bonding, resulting in coordination numbers higher than 4, and hence the existence of species like SiF6-- and polymeric silicates containing 6-coordination, which have no carbon counterpart.

Or, are you talking about petrification, which could happen through water high in silica or soluble alkali silicates percolating over or through a body?
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 26-10-2004 at 09:23
Asimov on biology

Asimov postulated just such an idea, what would life look like, biochemically, on other planets.

It appears that the carbon basis of life on this planet is a funtion of reactivity, and that chemical reactivity is a function of temperature and pressure, amoung other factors.

If the temperature and pressure of the ambient enviornment was significantly different, many other molecules would function as almost analogues.

I believe that on a cold planet, it was put forward that methane/ammonia mixtures might serve in much the same way as the kind of life reactions that are now supported by haemoglobin/oxygen on our planet.

Also Silicon based life might be more adapted to far higher temperatures... Where silicon would be far less likely to get locked up in bondage :-)

Still, silicon does play a part in the metabolic process of many of the animals which inhabit the sea.

Diatoms

I am a little hazy on the details (and some of the broad strokes too) but perhaps I can come back to this discussion later. (I am really supposed to be boning up for my calculus midterm right now)

Hermes.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.

Go To Top