Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Performance of "Damp" AN
golfpro
Banned

Mood: Cap Sensitive

[*] posted on 16-11-2013 at 07:50
Performance of "Damp" AN

Hi,

It can be a difficult task to keep AN dry even in prill form, but if left in a semi-sealed container for a few months, it clumps up indicating there is moisture in this AN, even though it looks and feels dry. So this brings up the question, how does this damp AN (prilled) perform in an oxygen balanced mix of Aluminum powder (this coats the prills)? Does the moisture sensitize or desensitize it? I would imagine a 15g ETN PBX booster would be more than enough for dry prilled ANAl, but would there be a question of no detonation if it is a bit damp? There was always a lid on the material and it's not stored in humid environment but still seems to attract a lot of moisture.

[Edited on 16-11-2013 by golfpro]
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 16-11-2013 at 09:01

aluminium + water is exothermic, you might not want to find out what happens if you then have a heat sensitive secondary near this, or primary ofcourse..

also i dont see the entire idea with PBX if its just for booster?

store it with a dessicant - problem solved

for the performance it might be better it might be worse, a slurry of actually saturated AN with waxcoated aluminium have been used by the tonne back in vietnam by the US to clear forest

it has been discussed and suggested that wettened NC as in wettened with water should increase its sensitivity, possibly because the shock is better caught when its wet? although the water would take a chunk of the energy overall to do mostly uninteresting stuff

also initiation is always relative when its comes to ANxx and especially when its just plain AN

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
golfpro
Banned

[*] posted on 16-11-2013 at 09:49

Why PBX ETN? Well the binder brings the density up to around 1.5g/ml that can not be had by pressing alone. I have thought about casting ETN and go back and forth, when casting large amounts I have read the risk for explosion is higher especially w/ something sensitive like ETN, in other words, a liquid drop of ETN may not be any more prone to explosion than a solid peice that same size, but 100g of molten ETN could likely explode even without any movement.

Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 17-11-2013 at 03:14

oooh yes ofcourse ofcourse..
however we dont have any actual data on this increase in density.. can you attempt to get some pictures etc on this density increase?

you could perhaps just cast small pellets of ETN then having small discs of cast ETN you could stack them ontop of each other in a container

i recall having read that a solid block of PETN being 100 x 100 x 100 cm would actually be prone to detonate out of nowhere, im doubt i can find it again because im sure it was called something strange i can impossibly guess

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
magneet
Harmless

Mood: lurking mostly

[*] posted on 17-11-2013 at 05:35

I Always found AN to clump up and cake even bone dry, when mixed with anti cake the problem solved, I could store it for years free flowing.
Dry your AN and dump it still warm in a simple pickles jar or similar, and screw on the lid, the lower air pressure created inside by cooling should keep it air tight for years

I don't think it would be insensitive to a 15 gram PBX booster when its a little damp, it should be overkill I think, and unnessesairy for ANAL

Hi,
Ral123
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-11-2013 at 06:18

What seals better then a fuzzy drink bottle? The light exposure is a problem then.
golfpro
Banned

[*] posted on 17-11-2013 at 07:42

As for the density not sure, I don't have the tools to accurately measure, but I do know that pressed ETN occupied roughly 15ml in a plastic cup, and that same amount occupies around 10.

Go To Top