Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Capturing O2 to breath
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-11-2013 at 14:45

Quote: Originally posted by NiK  
In this case I think it would be cool to capture the O2 gas from a reaction and breathe it (assuming it is safe) and briefly feel the effects that you would at an oxygen bar or hospital, etc.
There are several kinds of chemical oxygen generators. None of the common ones use peroxides, although potassium superoxide has been used. That's about as mad a science as an amateur might consider; from the cited page: "Potassium superoxide is produced by burning molten potassium in an atmosphere of oxygen". The oxygen candle reagents of sodium chlorate and iron, however, are easily within an amateur's reach.
NiK
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-11-2013 at 16:44

Well as neat as it would be to capture some pure oxygen and successfully breathe it, I think I'll just burn something in it and watch how much faster it burns. Seems a little safer!

...though I do like the idea of making a cotton wool plug doused in manganese dioxide, do you guys this that would be worth trying?

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.” - William A. Foster
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2013 at 06:09

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2013 at 06:18

I don't really understand the whole point of the oxygen bars. In my attempt to understand them I once inflated a couple balloons with oxygen from a cylinder and inhaled all of them... Didn't really feel anything to be quite honest. It tasted like ballon air and was not envigorating at all- it did annoy me to have wasted oxygen though ;)
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2013 at 06:49

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
I don't really understand the whole point of the oxygen bars.

Really? It's not hard. Tell a bunch of credulous half wits they'll benefit from breathing pure oxygen. Create a 'narrative' full of half truths, vague analogies, syllogisms and other kernels to make them believe parting with their cash for O2 will be good for them. Set up a setting that reflects the 'narrative' well and make it 'trendy' and 'cool'. Now don't forget your magic marker, to mark up the 'product'. Advertise and make sure you're well stocked!

KAA-SSSHHIIINGNG!

Don't forget to smile all the way to the bank!

[Edited on 23-11-2013 by blogfast25]

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
23-11-2013 at 17:09
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top