Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quality of glassware of Ebay seller deschem?
Manatee
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-11-2013 at 00:53
Quality of glassware of Ebay seller deschem?

Hello, I am planning on setting up a home lab. I am going to be doing vacuum distillation and other things that require good glassware. Right now I am only looking for 24/29 glassware. The kinds of things I need are ground glass beakers, condensers, joints, as well as beakers, funnels, etc. I've heard good things about laboy but unfortunately they don't do 24/29. I have however seem deschem mentioned on these forums.

At first glance deschem has everything I need at good prices. The issue is I have no idea the brand or quality of the glass. Some of the graduated cylinders say bomex on them which I definitely don't want. The other glassware has brand symbols that I am not familiar with.

Does anyone have experience with them, and if so, how is the quality? It seems that it might be that the ground glass products are good quality but the beakers and cylinders are not? Everything seems to be made in China, and I've heard of people getting great and terrible quality glassware from there. Also, some of the products have "Pyrex" in the title, although they don't seem to be.

So does anyone have any ideas an what the brand is and what the quality of the different products are? I'm most interested in the ground glass flasks, condensers, funnels, joints, and stoppers. If the quality is not good, where is an alternative place to get quality 24/29 glassware? Here is the link to the seller: http://www.ebay.com/sch/deschem/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&am...

Thanks in advance for the help.

glass10.JPG - 156kB glass1.JPG - 43kB glass6.JPG - 44kB glass4.JPG - 48kB glass7.JPG - 45kB glass9.JPG - 221kB glass8.JPG - 206kB glass5.JPG - 189kB glass3.JPG - 114kB glass2.JPG - 144kB
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-11-2013 at 06:28

When I started chemistry, I bought lots of deschem items. The 24/29 ground glass can be used with 24/40, so you don't need to worry about that. All I would say is NOT to put anything under vacuum (not counting filtration). Overall, their glass is good quality for a beginner. You can also get 24/29 from HST and any glassware seller outside of the USA (There are a few exceptions). If you can't find any 24/29, just use 24/40. It fits perfectly with 24/40 joints. Also, laboy is a great site. You can pair the 24/40 with the 24/29 get the setup exactly how you want it.

[Edited on 24-11-2013 by TheChemiKid]

[Edited on 24-11-2013 by TheChemiKid]

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
Manatee
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-11-2013 at 11:29

Thanks for the reply. You really can't put their stuff under vacuum? Is the stuff just too structurally damaged? I've looked at HST but they unfortunately don't sell any RBFs and they have hardly an ground glass joints. I can't seem to find anywhere except Ebay that sells individual pieces in 24/29 that isn't really expensive. I know 24/40 will work I just don't want to have to pay extra for a longer joint I don't really need.

Thanks for the info, I might just buy stuff from several different places.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 24-11-2013 at 11:33

Don't use 24/29. It's not ubiquitous, like 24/40, and you'll regret it in the long run.

[Edited on 24.11.13 by bfesser]

Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-11-2013 at 11:48

bfesser, dont they fit together like 29/32 and 29/42? I have both sizes which fit together perfectly.

I think the difference is just that one is the US size and the other is the size used by the rest of the world

[Edited on 24-11-2013 by Pyro]

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 24-11-2013 at 12:00

Good point. Come to think of it, I do browse the U.S. eBay. Disregard my comment.

TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-11-2013 at 12:55

@Manatee, The glass is just not pyrex grade, it may work under vacuum, it may not. I just don't want injuries. Here is a RBF from hst if you are interested. Here is all the ground joint glassware.

When the police come

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 24-11-2013 at 15:22

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
Don't use 24/29. It's not ubiquitous, like 24/40, and you'll regret it in the long run.

[Edited on 24.11.13 by bfesser]

They will both fit together adequately for virtually all home chemistry needs; the diameter, the first number, is the most important.

Secondly, in the UK, 24/29 seems to be much more common than 24/40, so, depending on the OP's location, your advice may be in poor judgement.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-11-2013 at 15:33

If it becomes a real problem you can get adapters made.

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 24-11-2013 at 16:15

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
Secondly, in the UK, 24/29 seems to be much more common than 24/40, so, depending on the OP's location, your advice may be in poor judgement.
Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
Come to think of it, I do browse the U.S. eBay. Disregard my comment.

Oopsy_daisy
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2013 at 12:05

I have had my deschem distillation kit for almost 1 year now and I've not had any problems with breakage. Additionally I have done several vaccum distillation with it (aspirator as vaccum source). Although I can't promise that the quality doesn't vary.
My experiance with the seller is also positive and he replaced a flask with an airbubble for me.
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-11-2013 at 14:55

Just fyi, if you use a real vacuum pump, you may get a different result.

When the police come

Go To Top