Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Using microwave to catalyze reactions and improve yeild of some explosives
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 28-11-2013 at 04:37
Using microwave to catalyze reactions and improve yeild of some explosives

Here I found an interesting paper which says microwave could assist in synthesizing of some energetic materials.

Cl-20 for example, has 4% increased yeild on the last nitration step, with a reaction time of only 5 min. which is interesting.

They also tested some other energetic materials in this paper. The paper stated the power(watt) it was running at, and other details of the their experiment. It could be repeated by some of us here, I wonder if it could catalyze some other explosives.

I also wonder wouldnt the reaction set up get over heated and such ?

Any ways here is the paper.

Attachment: Microwave-Assisted Quick Synthesis of Some Potential High Explosives.pdf (218kB)
This file has been downloaded 914 times

Trotsky
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 00:31

During a nitration of cellulose I attempted this once. I was hoping that it would help get up to 13+% nitrogen. A lot of NO2 was released. I think it may have helped because it was the one time I managed to make NC that I could detonate by whacking with a hammer (wrapped in foil). I didn't give it a thorough trial because of all the NO2, but that was certainly my best NC.

Go To Top