Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Brazil OTC sources
NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Liberated from cocoon

[*] posted on 4-12-2013 at 08:13
Brazil OTC sources

Hey, I've been looking for OTC sources for reagents like H2SO4, HCl (which doesn't contain a thousand other additives), carbonates and nitrates in Brazil, but all they sell is bleach (NaClO) and sodium hydroxide. LOTS of sodium hydroxide.

I don't know if there are any brazilian members at all, so I understand it might be quite difficult to help in some way. Nonetheless, does someone know any products/brands?
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-12-2013 at 08:43

Not sure if these people still sell to individuals, but you may want to contact Lafan and find out:

http://lafan.webnode.com.br
simba
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 06:03

NaNO3 can be bought as 'salitre do chile'. H2SO4 you will probably only find battery acid, I've never seen an OTC source of fairly concentrated H2SO4 in brazil, and HCl as you have already found out is nastly impure.

If you don't mind buying online, there are a couple of sellers at mercado livre which sell a wide variety of useful lab grade chemicals without questions.
NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 06:58

I've bought some time ago half a kg or so of a fertilizer who claimed to be 100% KNO3, but from my test it was so contamined with other chemicals it barely reacted with sugar (R-candy). Guess i'm just helpless! :P

As for buying online, my concern is with polícia federal... I really don't want them on my tail. Usually at lab suppliers they ask for CRQ and even online they can't sell over 2 litres of concentrated acid. I've been looking around for sodium metabisulfite, which looks quite promissing hahaha.

PS.: good to see I'm not alone! Brazil is a wonderful country.

[Edited on 5-12-2013 by NexusDNA]
simba
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 07:49

Forget about the PF, this is brazil, not the united states, no one is going to break into your house searching for a drug lab just because you bought a few chemicals online. You just can't buy watched chemicals from lab suppliers and thats all, you're free to buy it from any other source.

Sodium metabisulfite is sold as a food additive, I've already bought it from bakery stores in the past, maybe even some supermarkets sell it. Its dirty cheap, R$5 for 1 kilo.

Good to see brazilians around, feel free to PM me if you need help.
NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 08:11

Awesome! thanks. :D
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 09:13

Many OTC chemicals can be bought in Brazil ( http://tnitrato.no.comunidades.net/obtencao-de-reagentes --> this is my page when I wrote it a was a teenager, and never finished some of the articles, as my time to be at home went off), but the interesting chemicals are usually impure and need to be purified, others you have to make it yourself.

"Dimy Salitre" (N content of 32%) from Dimy Brand is crude ammonium nitrate mixed with small amount of potassium chloride.
Is easy to purify it recrystalling it a couple of times (although the yield is low cause the NH4NO3 is extremely soluble in water).

Fairly pure KNO3 can be made recristallizing with salitre do chile and potassium chloride ( http://tnitrato.no.comunidades.net/nitrato-de-potassio ), this was the early method of obtaining the KNO3 before the invention of synthetic NOx and HNO3 from air. Both sats are sold cheap at some garden and farm stores as fertilizer and usually have a pink crap coating that is not soluble on water and are easily filtered.

In Brazil you cant buy acetone over 60% (above this you have to give your name to the company that send it to Federal Police).
60% stuff you can find in nail polish removers OTC and can be easily distilled (and after distilling it again with CaCl2 to remove traces of ethanol). Some of the new nail polish removers are ethyl acetate and can be distilled too.

The most important chemical, sulfuric acid, you can buy concentrated 2 L per month (controlled) and I dont think you will be watched, unless you bought suspect chemicals (nitric acid, nitrates, etc) along with it. 30% stuff you can buy in gas stations but concentrating it down its not worth the effort ( Ive made it when I was teenager, using 1,25L coke glass bottles and wood as heating.. I dont ever know how I didnt had a serious accident, it was very foolish experiment).

Potassium chlorate is an amazing oxidizer, mixing it with HCl you can make a solution more oxidizing solution than aqua regia that will dissolve many noble metals. You can buy it, but you can make it easily by electrolysis (carbon electrodes, NaCl, KCl, power supply).

Those are some examples, among many others. Making your own reactants when not avaliable is just double the fun.

As simba said, avoid buying online and in chemical stores things that are closely watched.
For instance by accident I recently I found a company selling hexamethylenetetramine on mercadolivre (HMTA is know to be used in RDX synthesis.. And it is easily made neutralizing ammonia with formaldehyde).

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."

Go To Top