Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Best Quality Glassware (?)
subsecret
Hazard to Others

Mood: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas & the Voidz

[*] posted on 7-12-2013 at 10:05
The Best Quality Glassware (?)

I'm sure that this members have discussed this several times in the past, but after using the search engine and Google, I turned up nothing.

What are some of the best quality glassware suppliers?

Any response is appreciated.

Fear is what you get when caution wasn't enough.
Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

Mood: Organometallics

[*] posted on 7-12-2013 at 10:46

Well here are some reputable ones that I can tell you of.
Pyrex/Kimax
Chemglass
Wilmad labglass
Quark Glass
Schott/Duran

subsecret
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-12-2013 at 11:36

Thank you.

Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2013 at 11:58

Dr Bob is far better suited to answer this but I will say this much: I've always preferred( assuming I can get my hands on some) Kontes and Chemglass over anyone elses offerings. Just a preference though any of those mentioned by Darius are very good pieces and will serve you well.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-12-2013 at 13:25

Synthware A supposedly American company manufacturing in China. My friend and fellow SM member Feng says it is the most highly regarded company in China.
https://ca.vwr-cmd.com/bin/public/demidoccdownload/50000103/...

Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-12-2013 at 14:52

If you need cheap glassware I can also vouch for synthware. I wouldnt say its the tippity top shelf quality, but it is still acceptable for most applications.
Depending on what you need, I think Chemglass makes some of the highest quality stuff out there.
For thick walled apparatus Wilmad makes some solid glassware too.

If this isnt just a general question, depending on the application and conditions, some might be better than others.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-12-2013 at 19:00

I second Steve & Darius: Laboy and Synthware are good for general use. It's thicker walled stuff and at times it can be quirky. Beware on their thermometers: they are that accurate(plus or minus 1 degree) but they have a definite lag in getting to the reading.At least their jointed thermometers have the lag.
Quote: Originally posted by Steve_hi  
Synthware A supposedly American company manufacturing in China. My friend and fellow SM member Feng says it is the most highly regarded company in China.
https://ca.vwr-cmd.com/bin/public/demidoccdownload/50000103/...

[Edited on 8-12-2013 by Funkerman23]

subsecret
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 08:35

Do any of these companies refuse to sell to individuals? I've heard that Chemglass is one of the only ones..

Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 09:45

I haven't ordered from Kontes directly, but based on their site I doubt they would.
Chemglass does not, but there's a certain person the this forum who has offered to buy from them. He might make you an offer if you express what you want.
Anyways you can't buy directly from corning, but plenty of people resell them.
Wilmad will sell to indivs, Quark will too.
I doubt Schott/duran would either. If anyone has purchased from Corning, Schott/duran or Kontes please refute my statement.
Synthware and laboy will definitely sell to indivs.
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 13:30

I have found my laboy condensers (two of them) are not true (the joints are out of alignment to centerline), but other than that they work fine.

Chemglass is my favorite for everything with Wilmad/Pyrex/Kontes also being good.

There is usually quite a bit of chemglass on eBay for prices far under retail. So far I haven't had issues with any that I have purchased. I even got a full distillation apparatus for $80 with all but 500mL being chemglass in mint cond., (500mL and 250mL flasks/liebig condenser/dist head/therm adapt/vac takeoff all in 19/22).

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2013 at 08:17

The best glassware available today is Chemglass. It is easily available on Ebay, Amazon, and other sites for home use, both new and used, but normally costs more than cheap Chinese glass. Most other US brands are very good as well, Kontes, Ace, Labglass, Quark, Wilmod, etc. Pyrex and Kimble do not sell much fancy lab ware nowadays, but still make nice beakers, flasks, and other basic lab ware.

The best source of glassware depends on if you want basic lab ware (beakers, erlnemeyers, crad cyl, etc), basic jointed organic stuff (14/20 24/40 kits), or more elaborate glassware (condensers, addition funnels, etc). If you can give an idea of which area you are looking for, it is easier to suggest a good brand, as some companies don't do much in certain areas. For example, Chemglass makes great rbfs, but no beakers of their own. (They do sell Pyrex ones for a high markup, however). And some companies have certain areas that they excel in, like Ace and addition funnels or larger condensers.
thanos thanatos
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-12-2013 at 09:29

You should definitely add Ace Glass to your list I'd put them up there, quality wise, with Chemglass. I don't know about their sales policies, but all the Ace glassware that I've acquired used has been first rate stuff. I actually like their Ace-Thread joints, even though they're proprietary to their glassware.
subsecret
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-12-2013 at 13:49

Very nice! Thank you for all of the help.

I'm mainly looking for 24/40 ground glass apparatus... You've convinced me that Chemglass will be my future supplier. My Liebig condenser came from a pretty cheap kit, and the outer joint is absolutely terrible. I also own a 500 mL RBF from Bomex, which hasn't caused me any trouble yet. Everything else was bought from Eagle Lab Glass, which has pretty good prices.

Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-12-2013 at 15:09

Alright, keep an eye out on ebay for some nice kit. Used stuff from biological companies is almost always high quality, its where I get most of my stuff.
Honestly IMHO, I don't stick with or care about the brand. As long as its one of the ones up there and has a good price, I would get it (Because what's better than one flask new flask, two slightly used ones!)
subsecret
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-12-2013 at 09:42

UPDATE: I just bought some new glassware from Wilmad Labglass, but it hasn't arrived yet. Making an account with them lowered some prices by a good 30 USD. They're going to be my new supplier. Thanks for the help.

Master Triangle
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-12-2013 at 03:46

Have a look around Aliexpress, there is some extremely cheap stuff there. I wouldn't use it for anything critical without some sort of recommendation from a reliable source, but I'm sure nearly all of it will be functional. I have not bought any labware from there yet but plan to do so in future. Here are a few stores I came across:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/118287
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/610062
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/323852

What does it take to regrind a ground glass joint? I suspect that may be the most prominent problem that you could run into when using low-quality suppliers.
Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-12-2013 at 10:07

Yesterday I received the first half of my shipment of glass from china. It is Synthware brand. I compared it to chemglass that I already have and it is identical to chemglass. I even weighed the different flasks and the weight was the same. They even have the same painted little circle in the middle. As far as I can see chemglass does not make their own glassware. It certainly looks feels and weighs like Synthware Ill post pictures side by later. And Prices if any one will be interested.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-12-2013 at 11:48

Quote: Originally posted by Steve_hi  
Yesterday I received the first half of my shipment of glass from china. It is Synthware brand. I compared it to chemglass that I already have and it is identical to chemglass. I even weighed the different flasks and the weight was the same. They even have the same painted little circle in the middle. As far as I can see chemglass does not make their own glassware. It certainly looks feels and weighs like Synthware Ill post pictures side by later. And Prices if any one will be interested.
Please do! Granted; synthware doesn't make everything but still they're easier to buy from than Chemglass or Ace.

Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 26-12-2013 at 12:18

I would be very interested in that comparison as well.

Go To Top