Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: So I goofed...
Znoble
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 13:14
So I goofed...

My very fist hotplate/stirrer combo just came in from india, and I had an "I'm an idiot" moment where I realized that they use 250 volt outlets in india. I'm looking at spending another $20 on a 120v/240v upconverter (still only spent $130 in all), but I don't know if the different frequencies used in the different countries will render the stirring unit worthless. Any advice? Should I just sell it on ebay and make it someone elses problem?
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 13:20

It's worth a try, even if only to ascertain this for other people. If you can't use it, sell it again.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 13:22

What is the nameplate frequency?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Znoble
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 13:55

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
What is the nameplate frequency?

could you explain what you mean? I figure that the stirring part of a hotplate stirrer would work in a similar way to a motor, namely by alternating current to induce alternating magnetic polarities at a particular frequency, causing a magnet in the center to turn. If a motor was designed to operate at 50hz (india), would it work at 60hz (us)?
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 14:07

Most hotplates and stirrers have nameplates on them somewhere which will list the operating voltage, frequency, and other specifications. If you can, post a photo.

Example nameplate:
hotplate_nameplate.jpg - 180kB

[Edited on 12.12.13 by bfesser]

Znoble
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 14:11

My jank indian hotplate doesn't have one. I asked my dad (he's an engineer) if a different frequencies would render the stirrer function useless, and he said it just might stir a little slower or faster. I just bought a power converter, we'll see how this flies. I might have just found a source for cheap, new hotplate/stirrer combos :D

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: removed quote]

[Edited on 12.12.13 by bfesser]
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 14:22

That would be my guess also, ie, it might work fine but just run a little faster, like at 60/50 th of the expected speed.

But we have some electrical engineer members and others skilled in this field who should be able to give us much better answers, w/explanations, than I can offer.

[Edited on 12-12-2013 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 17:06

Maybe work, maybe no. If it is a simple machine probably ...Yes! If it has some sophisticated electronics inside....No! Unfortunately, many formerly simple devices, now contain a little bit of computer wizardry within. These machines are very conservative. No change!

A little variation in voltage or cycle, just doesn't compute properly.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 21:28

My experience is that using a device designed for 240V works on 120V but only with a quarter of the power, I can't recall exactly why it is a quarter and not half but somebody ones told me and an experience with a hairdryer brought from Europe to the US convinced me he was probably right.

The frequency is the same though so that shouldn't matter, they always state it as 50-60 Hz. An apparatus designed for 120V plugged in at 240V will give problems though, as the internal resistance is to low so the amperage will go up.IIRC
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 21:56

Here's the reason you only get 1/4th the power:

E=IR (ohm's law); I=E/R

P=EI=E^2/R

R(resistance) is the same in both cases.

In the first case P=[(240)^2]/R

In the 2nd case P=[(120)^2]/R

[(120)^2]/[(240)^2] = (120/240)^2 = (1/2)^2 = 1/4

Znoble
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-12-2013 at 10:51

Okay, so update on this. My voltage step-up converter came in the mail today, and I immediately plugged it in and turned it on. The fuse on the converter blew. I pulled it out and saw it was 1.3 amps, and the hotplate takes 6, so I went out and bought a 6.3 amp fuse (the highest they had for that particular size at radioshack), and plugged it in again. Lo and behold, there was heat! And stirring! And a godaweful burning plastic smell... I looked over at the converter and it was smoking. So much for that experiment... I'm going to do one of two things:

1. we have a 250v outlet for washers and driers in my house, I could try to convert the power cable to go into that
2. bum off the hotplate on ebay

[Edited on 17-12-2013 by Znoble]
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 17-12-2013 at 11:23

Fuses are sized by the designer/manufacturer to protect the device. I guess you learned that the hard way. But you did demonstrate that the stirrer will work at 60Hz. If you can plug in to that 250VAC outlet, which you can do by buying the proper plug, you will be in business. ;)

-------------------------------------

Edit: If a 250VAC stirrer is constructed the same way as a 120VAC stirrer then there will be a hot wire (normally black) and a neutral wire (normally white). There likely will also be a ground wire (normally green). I think that if the two 250VAC hot wires from the new plug are connected to the stirrer hot (black) and neutral (white) wires, respectively, the stirrer should perform normally. The ground wire (green) should be connected to the ground wire coming from the plug.

This would be the way I would do it. Comments/corrections from those with a better understanding would be helpful here.

[Edited on 17-12-2013 by Magpie]

[Edited on 17-12-2013 by Magpie]

Master Triangle
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-12-2013 at 02:04

Pop the thing open and have a look at the wiring, if the heaters and motors have two coils in series then you can just put them in parallel and they will run straight off 120V. With heaters that will always work if the heaters are of the same resistance, but the windings on a motor are not always intuitive, post a picture of them to get opinions.

Although if you actually have a 240V outlet and it is a convenient place then just use that, look up plug layouts and mains wiring colour codes so that you don't fry it. As far as I understand 240V outlets in 120V countries are actually two phases so there is no neutral. (My country uses a civilized 240V system, so don't trust me)

Also, just try connecting it straight onto 120V, you won't be overpowering it so it shouldn't overheat or anything.

Go To Top