Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Why is oil black?
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 19:30
Why is oil black?

This is something that has been on my mind lately: why are crude oil and motor oil black? Methane, polyethylene(H<sub>3</sub>C(CH<sub>2</sub>;)<sub>n</sub>CH<sub>3</sub>;),and benzene are all clear, and by interpolation I doubt that any other hydrocarbons (alkenes, alkynes) are colored. I doubt it is due to free carbon, as that would have many millions of years to settle to the bottom of the oil well and would likely not be sucked up with the oil. Does anyone have an explanation of this phenomenon?
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 19:49

Possibly because of impurities such as DIRT, and metal powders (by abrasion)? Or carbon residues?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 19:55

Probably because of small amounts of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, with systems of many resonating conjugated double bonds intheir molecules, with high molecular weights. The length of these systems of conjugated double bonds mean that the molecules absorb all or most wavelengths of visible light, as well as the ultra-violet light that simpler aromatic molecules absorb. These large molecules, by virtue of their high molecular weights and hence melting/boiling points and viscosity, constitute the black tar left after distillation off of the more volatile constituents of crude oil in refining. The slight coloration, usually yellowish, in refined lubricating oils is due to remaining traces of polynuclear aromatics, although of less molecular weight than those in tar.

Go To Top