Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Is this TNT?
Turner
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-12-2013 at 17:03
Is this TNT?

I did the nitration from DNT to TNT (so I think) I know that what I had before was DNT because the MP was right on point with the DNT melting point (the common isomer). I didn't have oleum, so I used slightly higher temps, and excess concentrated sulfuric acid, I am not so sure what this top layer is.. Maybe un-nitrated DNT? Although, that is the same amount roughly of DNT I started with, so is it possible no reaction occurred since there was no sulfur trioxide present? I had thought TNT was a darker color

I kept the reaction between 112-120 Celsius.

My procedure was:

Starting with 30ml of DNT and 50ml of spent acid (from the nitration of MNT to DNT) I added 60ml sulfuric acid and brought the temp up to 95C. The nitration mix was 30ml 99% HNO3 and 50ml 95% sulfuric acid, added slowly drop wise to the DNT mix keeping temps above 110C w/ hot plate.

BTW, in the picture, the temp is roughly 35C.

[Edited on 31-12-2013 by Turner]

Turner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-12-2013 at 18:23

Looks exactly the same, temp 30C
Turner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-12-2013 at 19:31

Ok now the top layer has solidified and long crystals have began to precipitate throughout the mixture. I removed the top mass and now it is a solution with what I presume to be TNT crystals and probably some DNT. I am wondering if the top mass was unreacted DNT? If so that would be a lot of unreacted material. I will post a pic when I get a min.
Turner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-12-2013 at 19:38

roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 30-12-2013 at 19:54

Now check it's purity and report yields. Make it a nice little lab write-up. Maybe the mod's will tack it onto the TNT thread. Did you get the bisulfite? And next time you do a synthesis, don't make so many sequential posts that ask for spoonfeeding. You're only begging to have a thread thrown to detritus. Try to have as many notes of the process before you start that you'll be able to re-read as its going along, and journal the work while doing it. You can't expect to have someone holding your hand in realtime on the forum. Just do it... safely, and if you mess up, pour it out, check your notes, correct and try again. Confidence and experience will come.

[Edited on 31-12-2013 by roXefeller]
Turner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-12-2013 at 20:13

I guess you are right, but I've spent all day on this little project and was anxious to see others experience. Tommorow I will collect and wash crystals and evaluate melting point.

I am keeping those chunks of unknown material, any clue what this May be? It separated right after final nitration as an oily layer, and the whole mass stayed a liquid until the top began to solidify at which point long crystals began to form on this mass as seen in the picture.
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-12-2013 at 04:30

You can't be anxious around here. The sages will see it as an immaturity that begets accidents. Respect the chemistry, respect the fixed nitrogen.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 31-12-2013 at 04:50

''Respect the chemistry, respect the fixed nitrogen'' -roXefeller, 2013
straight up!
you could probably compare the burn with other videos of its burning..

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Turner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-12-2013 at 08:45

The milky green material has no crystals. I dumped everything in cool water and it is now just milky green, the other stuff on the top melted at 53C, I assume this is DNT, and no DNT was nitrated to TNT.

roXefeller
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-12-2013 at 16:07

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  
''Respect the chemistry, respect the fixed nitrogen'' -roXefeller, 2013
straight up!

Don't repeat what he said, it'll go to his head.
Turner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-12-2013 at 19:24

I guess only way to find out if I have any TNT is to detonate it. Here is a 15g cast TNT (?) charge. Will video.

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 31-12-2013 at 19:32

Well that's what you made it for right? Do you have a blasting cap?

DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 01:31

Well, congrats on your TNT, I hope you got there. Try purifying some more and do some burn test or detonation if you can :) I would like to see more.

What is the density of TNT ? I am pretty sure TNT is higher than DNT. So if you just add 10 ml of water. keep adding ur product until it reaches 1 extra, ml, see the weight inrease, and find some papers that says the density, and there you go.

I find testing density a good way of finding if ur product is what you want.

[Edited on 1-1-2014 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]
Turner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 21:06

I'll try and detonate it soon, I will have to base partially off sound to see if it detonates.
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 21:29

You mean you let the new year's ball drop without detonating that charge. I thought for sure you were working on a schedule to get a midnight boom.
Turner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 21:48

Haha, we lit a standard blasting cap in the street and decided any more than that would be trouble.
papaya
National Hazard

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 00:38

I bet it won't work.
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 00:52

Don't these standard blast caps snap fingers and throw shrapnel? We aren't talking about flash and cardboard here.
Turner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 09:12

Papaya, do you care to explain why? You sound like you may know a bit about TNT and making it.

A metal industry blast cap probably would throw tiny pieces of shrapnel inside a small radius (3m?) but outside, there would be no worry.

[Edited on 2-1-2014 by Turner]
simply RED
Hazard to Others

Mood: booM

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 09:52

Cast TNT is notoriously difficult to detonate. In military munitions they put tetryl booster between the cap and the cast TNT. It may not work with straight blasting cap.

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead...
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 10:03

Make NI3.This is a bad idea, but you can put about half a gram of NI3 (while it's still wet) on top of you're TNT, when it dries, it will easily set off the TNT.

The obvious downside is that you will never know when it's about to go off, and yes, WET NI3 is quite stable, I've hit it with a hammer and it didn't go off, but when it's dry...

Edit: Actually, don't try this, it has been know to explode when wet, I guess mine was a bad batch. Still went off when it dried of course.

[Edited on 2-1-2014 by Zyklonb]

Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 10:27

Quote: Originally posted by simply RED  
Cast TNT is notoriously difficult to detonate. In military munitions they put tetryl booster between the cap and the cast TNT. It may not work with straight blasting cap.

I guess 5g caseless pressed ETN would work. I've heard 7g of Tetryl and 20g Tetryl. But at what density, and what casing? I'm sure there's a huge difference between heavily pressed 7g Tetryl caseless and hand pressed in PVC with thick epoxy layer on the bottom.
papaya
National Hazard

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 14:45

Never prepared TNT, as I think it simply doesn't worth the trouble. I said it'll not, because I also think that in cast form it's too insensitive, also critical diameter, etc..
Even if you wake up it with a huge initiator charge - it'll be somewhat hard do distinguish the effect from that 10gr of ETN for example or from your TNT. But of course I don't want to stop you - try (safely) and report.
If you want I can tell you real story that happened with one of my friend - he found in the field a real military grenade (not hand one, but more like small projectile). Of course he removed the cap somehow and when he showed me the stuff - it was that projectile with remainings of cast TNT inside and the hole in place of detonator. Before that he even managed to SCRUB that TNT out with the use of wedge and hammer (stupid, but he had no knowledge of the dangers and never asked me before starting), anyway we had a pile of about hundred grams of cast then crushed TNT flakes with no idea what to do next.. I was familiar with TATP in that times and we decided to try to set off some part of it - 15grams were pressed into plastic tube with 1cm or even more diameter, a gram of TATP above that, a fuse.. It went off with a very weak sound, not at all damage to underlaying objects(a thin metal plate), but we didn't find any remaining TNT or plastic tube - just very weak explosion and disapperiance of 15gr TNT - must be partial detonation of the finest powder only. We knew very little about theoretical things (that cast one is hard, diameter, etc) and started to think that the material is not real TNT, so we just BURNED everything else we had, old good days...

Quote: Originally posted by Turner  
Papaya, do you care to explain why? You sound like you may know a bit about TNT and making it.

A metal industry blast cap probably would throw tiny pieces of shrapnel inside a small radius (3m?) but outside, there would be no worry.

[Edited on 2-1-2014 by Turner]
Turner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 16:02

it's not very reasonable to detonate cast TNT in amounts like 15g, I will probably use 5g ETN plastique booster, it may be hard to tell if it detonates.

TNT (?) is the most tedious, and time consuming one I've ever done, though, also dangerous (hot sulfuric/nitric acids).

While melting some TNT (?) under water to clean it, some water boiled causing a tiny bit of molten material to splash out onto the hot plate which caught fire instantly FWOOSH.

I got a bit impatient towards the end, I let the temperature rise to around 120C which caused some NO2 to form, I also didn't take 2hours of stirring after addition. (Who stirs something for 2 hours straight?)

[Edited on 3-1-2014 by Turner]
Turner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-1-2014 at 15:08

Charge failed, not enough primary used in cap!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top