Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-11-2004 at 04:43
cheap NaOH

2NaHCO3+heat --> H2O+CO2+Na2CO3
Na2CO3+heat --> Na2O + CO2
Na2O + H2O -->2NaOH
But heres the problem (well not really)
Would Na2O react with oxygen in air to form Na2O2?

F. de Lalande and M. Prud'homme showed that a mixture of boric oxide and sodium chloride is decomposed in a stream of dry air or oxygen at a red heat with the evolution of chlorine.
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 14-11-2004 at 05:38

halogen, that's not the problem. You see group I carbonates are highly stable, and do not decompose by heat to give the oxide except lithium carbonate. Therefore the following reaction cannot occur:
Na2CO3+heat --> Na2O + CO2

The Na2O + H2O --> 2NaOH would occur if you succeded in making Na2O anyway. Na2O2 would simply react with water giving the hydroxide and O2 gas.

Theory guides, experiment decides.
rikkitikkitavi
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-11-2004 at 06:49

Actually it does occur. T
he problem is that the decomposition rate is slow , even at the melting point of Na2CO3 so the temperature has to be increased even further , and a melt of Na2O is extremely corrosive towards most materials. (we are talkning 1100-1200 C)

Na2O2 is not stable at this temperatures, so it would not be formed.

Also, NaHCO3 is not very cheap compared to NaOH- but if you have quicklime (CaO) or lime hydrate( Ca(OH)2 ) mixining this solid with NaHCO3 or Na2CO3 solutions preciptate CaCO3 and leaves a NaOH solution (old industrial route )

/rickard
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

Mood: ok

[*] posted on 14-11-2004 at 09:54
Point of view...

Hallo to all,

this probably won't help, but I decided to post.

NaOH seems to me to be cheap itself....if you buy it in hardware store or something similar in your country.
If you buy it at a scientific supplier, depends too on what supplier, it would be less cheap.
NaOH from hardware store that I've buyed is 97-98% pure, this suffice to me but, if you need it very pure for particular analytical experiments, then a scientific supplier is your only alternative, probably.

Have fun

Go To Top