Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pressure Gauges
thebean
Hazard to Others

Mood: Deprotonated

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 16:34
Pressure Gauges

I can't afford a real vacuum pump and thus am forced to improvise. Currently I have a pretty strong mattress pump which can be used to deflate an air bed. I figure I could hook it up to some tubing that runs to the nozzle of whatever I want to reduce pressure in. I also plan upon installing a potentiometer so that I can control the vacuum. I'm not worried about it not being chemically resistant because I won't be using it for anything all too reactive. Of course I then run into the issue of knowing the pressure. I am looking for a way to either integrate a pressure gauge that is in mmhg into the pump or put something in my reaction vessel that measures pressure, think pressure gauge on the end of a rod, like a thermometer. Is there anything along those lines? This is sort of what I'm looking for.

"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things."
-Henry Rollins
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 16:41

Honestly I wouldn't think it would draw much. For about $15 you can get vac aspirator that I still make do with. That plus about $5 in hardware can hook to the water hose like mine. Most are 3/4 NPT i think.

I don't has a vac gauge yet but it will almost boil water with my hand on small flasks (think 5mL)

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
PeeWee2000
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 16:46

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pump-and-vacuum-tester-935...
Heres what I use in my lab, not the exact same one but same purpose gauge. The orignial rubberish tube on the gague fits nicely into polyethylene tubing and glass tubes fit inside it quite well, its very versatle as far as what I can hook it up to goes. And depending on how (more importantly where) you hook it up and your you should be able to use stronger acids and such e.g. after you've already condensed a strong acid.

And like zenosx said get an aspirator theyre cheap!

[Edited on 7-2-2014 by PeeWee2000]

“Everything is relative in this world, where change alone endures.”

― Leon Trotsky
thebean
Hazard to Others

Mood: Deprotonated

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 14:37

@zenosx: Are you saying that you use a manual pump? Or is it electric? If it is electric I'd like to know more.

"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things."
-Henry Rollins

Go To Top