Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electrical Jackpot
goldenoranges
Harmless

Mood: Giddious

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 20:48
Electrical Jackpot

So I found this huge thing I am not sure exactly what it is, but weighs around 120 pounds maybe more. It has 2 big transformers, one is bigger than the other, along with a random assortment of other things such as capacitors (not sure of their Voltage/uf yet). Any ideas what I should make? I was thinking an arc furnace or something else.

Pictures are way to big so here are links
http://i.imgur.com/ICKE9AN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wLofBGq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VMywbcz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dqVCVV5.jpg

[Edited on 10-2-2014 by goldenoranges]

Capacitors are 75VDC with 6500uf, Electrolytic Capacitors. the big inductor is 1057A, 11k69

The big 'transformer' is actually an inductor, a heavy ass one. The smaller one is a transformer though.

evildrome
Harmless

Mood: Highly Oxidising

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 03:41

If there's 3 of everything its probably an industrial 3 phase balancing device.

Cheers,

Wilson.
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 04:25

Just going by the color of the cage it looks like something off of a naval ship. If it's military, then it will operate on a completely different system then anything commercial or residential. Anyway, all I'm basing this on is the color of the cage. If it were olive drab, I would have said it came from the army.
goldenoranges
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 04:39

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  
Just going by the color of the cage it looks like something off of a naval ship. If it's military, then it will operate on a completely different system then anything commercial or residential. Anyway, all I'm basing this on is the color of the cage. If it were olive drab, I would have said it came from the army.

It does use MFD instead of the regular UF abbreviation for the capacitors. It does have a bunch of copper wire, only thing I can figure that would be worth making is to get a ton of super capacitors and make a badass EMP device with all of the parts haha. I do believe it was used for radio broadcasting, what type I don't know I do assume high power though.

There is some components which I have never seen before, when I disassemble it I will post pictures of them all.

I found an old manual for it, and a model number. It was made by Bell haha.

http://doc.telephonecollectors.info/dm/024-449-301_I2.pdf

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
10-2-2014 at 04:59
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 07:07

From that link:
Quote:
The voltage regulator, designed to operate on a
nominal +24 and —24 volt dc input will provide a
regulated output of +18 and – 18 volt dc supply
at loads up to approximately 1 ampere.

That is a massive chunk of hardware for a 36 watt power supply!

Looking at the transformer size and cores it looks like a low frequency switching regulator. Basically it takes the 24V input, switches it to AC, runs it through a step down transformer, then regulates and smoothes it again providing the 18V DC output. Added to that a bunch of protection and adjustment circuitry. Crazy! Ancient too.

[Edited on 10-2-2014 by froot]

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 07:22

I throw these sort of things away on a fairly regular basis.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
goldenoranges
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 04:45

Eh darn. Is that inductor comparable to the ones today? I noticed the capacitors are freaking huge, yet I can find similar capacity/volts the size of my thumb, so they are definitely outdated. But as far as the transformer/inductor goes, I believe they still should be good because technology hasn't really changed that much for them, at least the physical design hasn't that I can see. Copper winding around some sort of metal.

Go To Top