Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: OTC H2SO4 and NaOH are gone...
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 13-2-2014 at 08:42

Hey, Ace is the place to go for me! Rooto baume 98% H2S04. Several specialty shops sell food grade Na0H and K0H.

I'm waiting for the day they take away everything, for shortly there after, secret and devilishly easy recipes will spring forth from a Pandora's box.

The government wants all the drug trade to them selves. If they wanted to, they could have long ago put opium growers and cocaine cartels out of business. Mixtures of narcotics superior to heroin. Synthetic caines, full of power, but low on the NE and easy on the heart.

"Old men who speak of victory
shed light upon their stolen life
they - drive by night- and act as if they're
moved by unheard music." B. Currie
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 13-2-2014 at 08:55

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Surprised nobody's mentioned this yet, but the main reason for including Al chips in drain opener is that its reaction with NaOH produces hydrogen bubbles which agitate and help break up clogs. Turd alluded to it, but I figured I'd state it outright in case people didn't make the connection.

I wonder if the nitrate is in there to control the temperature, since it has a really endothermic heat of dissolution?

Otherwise, the stuff with the aluminum chips is like a "drano bomb" in a can... just add water!

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 13-2-2014 at 14:02

The nitrate is reduced to ammonia, I don't know why though, maybe to raise the heat?

I never asked for this.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 13-2-2014 at 16:50

Needing some toluene I visited Ace, my usual source for OTC chemicals. They had it but only in a 1 gallon container. I was able to find it at other hardware and paint stores but also only in 1 gallon containers. I finally found the 1 qt size at a recreational equipment store. Apparently it is the solvent of choice for repairing inflatable rafts.

I was happy to note that MEK is still available at Ace and other places. In fact the Klean-Strip website says that the "MEK substitute" is being discontinued. Sometimes we win one.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
zig
Harmless

Mood: Back and forth

[*] posted on 13-2-2014 at 21:45

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
I stopped getting things at Home Depot because they stopped selling concentrated sulfuric acid, then NaOH, then toluene, then xylene, and recently methyl ethyl ketone. However, they seem to have replaced MEK with ethyl acetate, which could be useful. I also think they are phasing out potassium nitrate stump remover with the metabisulfite variety, and naphthalene moth balls with the p-dichlorobenzene kind.

I think the bigger stores are afraid of their public image. A small chain is much more concerned about money than looking "environmentally responsible" in the public eye. Also, the bigger stores have a lot more to lose if someone is injured by one of their products. I'm sure they have a legal department which does nothing all day but sit around and think of what could go wrong and how to prevent it.

Yeah man, that shit sucks. Does banning xylene and friends (solvents, hydroxides) have a significant impact on the environment? I'd imagine much of the problem is caused by industrial manufacturing or something, rather than individual dumbfucks pouring solvent all over the place.

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Needing some toluene I visited Ace, my usual source for OTC chemicals. They had it but only in a 1 gallon container. I was able to find it at other hardware and paint stores but also only in 1 gallon containers. I finally found the 1 qt size at a recreational equipment store. Apparently it is the solvent of choice for repairing inflatable rafts.

I was happy to note that MEK is still available at Ace and other places. In fact the Klean-Strip website says that the "MEK substitute" is being discontinued. Sometimes we win one.

It must vary by state. My buddy in California has told me his local Home Depot carries NO workable solvents or hydroxides barring acetone (offered only in 16 oz cans). Thankfully it's not quite that bad here, but I'm not optimistic for the future.

"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that I may die if I were to change places with the Persian king."

-Johann Joachim Becher
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 14-2-2014 at 16:16

reduction to ammonia because the average person would shit themselves knowing that NaOH on contact with aluminium forms nicely explosive hydrogen gas, probably even the NH3 forms NH4OH which .. ofcourse also helps to remove plugs of whatever sort

there should be a SM main base in the US and in the EU.. buying home a tonne of all sorts of chemicals running our own business :D
i mean.. who havent been gazing at the insanely low prices on alibabba for bulk chemicals??

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 14-2-2014 at 16:20

My Home Depot still sells: Acetone, toluene, ethyl acetate, methyl ethyl ketone, xylene and of course contaminated sodium hydroxide.

testimento
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2014 at 16:28

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  
there should be a SM main base in the US and in the EU.. buying home a tonne of all sorts of chemicals running our own business :D
i mean.. who havent been gazing at the insanely low prices on alibabba for bulk chemicals??

I have actually considered making a business out of chemicals. Now when there is the bitcoin, it makes it a lot simpler but unfortunately my country is very much too remote and authoritarian for such purposes. Even if I managed to smuggle out some concentrated hydroxic acid, the shipping costs would render the business obsolete. On a second thought, I have noted that once you get a registered company, you can order virtually anything without nobody raising a question, even the bad-badies.
Turner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-2-2014 at 18:28

Good thing I recently bought 1 gallon of 96% Rooto sulfuric acid at Ace, also Ammonium Nitrate happens to be the only OTC Nitrate salt available to me, so I got plenty of that too
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 04:22

In the Netherlands we have a new development. Many hardware stores want to go ECO. In practice this means that many chemicals which are "bad for the environment" are banned. Solvents like white spirit, ligroin and even acetone are replaced by their eco-variants. So, instead of acetone we can buy eco-acetone, which is a mix of at most 10% butoxyethanol, water and soap-like stuff and is inflammable and does not need to carry the Xi or Xn hazard symbol.

http://www.pearlpaint.nl/nl/merken-producten/eco-line/aceton...

They even call this crap acetone, but it does not contain any acetone at all. I almost bought a bottle of this stuff, but when I read the label on the bottle I decided to leave it.

Not only acetone is replaced, but nearly all solvents, and also sodium hydroxide and somewhat more concentrated hydrochloric acid. For the home chemist, this is a small disaster. So, very soon, in the Netherlands the only source of pure chemicals will be special online shops.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 06:54

I have decided to only buy online anyway, It's cheaper, so the only downside is shipping costs. But if you buy only large shipments, you save lots of money, and the chemicals are more pure.

Hockeydemon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-3-2014 at 20:22

I just buy my chemicals on amazon for the most part. I have an Ace just a few minutes away, but I end up paying more money for a worse product. I can get a 2lbs of FCC grade NaOH for $15, 1L 32% HCl for $15 on amazon, but I would pay probably $28 for 2lbs of NaOH drain cleaner at Ace. I get way better deals and they have way more things.

Since all of the chemicals you can buy through amazon aren't actually sold by amazon I don't have to worry about setting off any red flags for buying a bunch of reagents. Each third party seller is responsible for tracking their chemical sales - not that I buy any suspicious chemicals or bulk chemicals. It's just a added benefit of using amazon third party sellers. I also use ebay if amazon doesn't have something for whatever reason.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 2-3-2014 at 22:24

Quote: Originally posted by Hockeydemon  

Since all of the chemicals you can buy through amazon aren't actually sold by amazon I don't have to worry about setting off any red flags for buying a bunch of reagents. Each third party seller is responsible for tracking their chemical sales - not that I buy any suspicious chemicals or bulk chemicals. It's just a added benefit of using amazon third party sellers. I also use ebay if amazon doesn't have something for whatever reason.

Do you think that the NSA really doesn't share all that lovely
data with the FBI/DEA/CIA? Amazon and Ebay are 'watched'
but given the volume of transactions it may take years to
actually get investigated.
Hockeydemon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-3-2014 at 23:06

No but I think they have bigger fish to fry than some 23 year old kid buying small quantities of unwatched reagents. I would fear a local raid from police working under a tip or something but I don't think the NSA is giving info to the local police on my buying habits.
HoH
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-3-2014 at 23:14

8lbs of NaOH for 15.99.. think the industry it is used in and wash your hands of losing your hard earned money. Or you can pay 15.99 for 2Lb at your local hardware store because it is convenient..
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 18:11

I got 5 gallon cans of acetone and toluene from a paint store. Then they had a fire and went out of business. I can still buy methanol from a fuel seller.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 20:13

Klean-Strip website says that the "MEK substitute" is being discontinued. Sometimes we win one.

Er it's quality ethyl acetate....I'd call that
A HUGE FUCKING LOSS
...I'll be found at Lowe's tomorrow after work...

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Hockeydemon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 21:55

Even the Ace hardware website says it's discontinued :(. I just bought a liter from Ace the other day - I guess I'll be going back to buy a few gallons. It's way more expensive to buy ethyl acetate on amazon.
cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-3-2014 at 02:49
Dollar General

I just but the non acetone nail polish remover at Dollar General and distill it.

Thought is an action, which when acted upon becomes work and sometimes art!
HoH
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 19:56
Clarification please.

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
Klean-Strip website says that the "MEK substitute" is being discontinued. Sometimes we win one.

A HUGE FUCKING LOSS

Are you sure ethyl acetate is in the substitute formulation of MEK? I was just at home depot and I saw 1qt bottles of MEK "substitute" (Klean Strip). There was a good 24 bottles on the shelf.

If so, what percentage of it contains EtOAc? I believe it was 10.00 per quart. I googled but could not find the answer regarding the constituents in the formulation.
HoH
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 19:58
Clarification please.

A HUGE FUCKING LOSS

Are you sure ethyl acetate is in the substitute formulation of MEK? I was just at home depot and I saw 1qt bottles of MEK "substitute" (Klean Strip). There was a good 24 bottles on the shelf.

If so, what percentage of it contains EtOAc? I believe it was 10.00 per quart. I googled but could not find the answer regarding the constituents in the formulation.
HoH
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 20:43
Clarification please.

A HUGE FUCKING LOSS

Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 21:05

The MSDS is on Kleen Strip's website. It's >99% ethyl acetate, if I remember right.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 21:35

Quote: Originally posted by Crowfjord  
The MSDS is on Kleen Strip's website. It's >99% ethyl acetate, if I remember right.

Yes it is. At least for this product code.
http://www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/1636%20KS%20MEK%20Substit...
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 06:25

I have used just plain ethyl acetate from the bottle for extractions, and it works fine. For more sensitive reactions, I distill, and I have not had any problems.

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top