Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Source of D-Limonene, OTC?
Electra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 13:55
Source of D-Limonene, OTC?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene

Recently learned about this stuff from a post made by Nicodem (Thanks Nicodem!)

Apparently this stuff has all sorts of uses. Not only is it a good solvent (if you don't need to boil it off), but it can apperently also act as a hydride source for transfer hydrogenation. Not only that, it can form chiral-complexes with Ruthenium Chloride (and probably Nickel Chloride, and various others), to be used in Asymmetric (transfer) hydrogenation reactions for chiral compounds, with the widely available enantiomer being D/R/+! How exciting is that? This stuff is commercially available online. Doing some googling it appears to be challenging to find in stores in solvent quantities, although Nicodem seems to imply (in the below quote) that it can be found in stores. How exciting would that be? An OTC Asymmetric Hydrogenation pre-catalyst, and a transfer hydrogenation source, that can double as a solvent (if your intent is not to evaporate following the hydrogenation) !

Sadly I do not have anything to asymmetrically hydrogenation as of yet, but I do hope to acquire some of this stuff for use as a hydride source for transfer hydrogenation. Does anyone know any OTC whereabouts of this? It is supposedly widely used as a paint stripper, a natural bug deterrent/pesticide, a supplement/health product, a flavoring agent, fragrance agent, a plastic-additive, and many more!

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
An example of the transfer hydrogenation using limonene* has been reported at Synthetic Pages:
Transfer hydrogenation of benzpthalide with limonene/palladium on carbon; 2-(2-phenylethyl) benzoic acid (DOI: 10.1039/SP535)

* Limonene become widely available as a paint thinner and typical non-polar solvent for general public use. You can buy it at any larger shop where they sell paints and related items. It is also a good starting material for synthesis (for example, for the synthesis of para-cymene).

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 14:01

I'm not sure where you're located, but here in the UK it is readily and inexpensively available on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Litre-D-Limonene-97-Orange-Terpe...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-Limonene-97-Orange-Terpenes-1lt-...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/d-Limonene-orange-turpene-Degrease...

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Electra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 14:08

Finding it online is no problem for me. I just always prefer to drive and get my supplies for numerous reasons. Time, no shipping cost, convenience, etc.
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 14:21

Essential orange oil is 90% d-Limonene.
thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 14:45

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  
Essential orange oil is 90% d-Limonene.

I've distilled orange oil and it is indeed mostly limonene! Very good yield if you have the time!
Electra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 14:50

Where can I find 'essential orange oil'? Do you have any guess at what the other 10% is? Water? Hydrocarbons? I'm not really looking to distill it before every use. That would somewhat defeat the time-saving purposes of buying in store.
thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 14:55

Quote: Originally posted by Electra  
Where can I find 'essential orange oil'? Do you have any guess at what the other 10% is? Water? Hydrocarbons? I'm not really looking to distill it before every use. That would somewhat defeat the time-saving purposes of buying in store.

Water and organic materials from the oranges (so yes, hydrocarbons). You can find it at aromatherapy stores, massage places and other kinds of stores similar to that (mostly alternative medicine). It's also sometimes used for scenting soaps and candles so craft stores might carry it.
Electra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 14:57

I'll have to check it out. As long as those other hydrocarbons don't interfere with transfer hydrogenation properties and/or pollute my substrate then it shouldn't be a problem.
thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 15:04

I'll have to check it out. As long as those other hydrocarbons don't interfere with transfer hydrogenation properties and/or pollute my substrate then it shouldn't be a problem.

If the oil you buy is both very colorless (orange color is bad) and has no solid contaminants it should be fine. A word of warning, many stores sell the oil diluted in something like another oil or alcohol so be sure to buy pure orange oil (I think they call it "neat" or something like that).
[EDIT]: I was right, buy neat oil. When diluted it will say that it is in "carrier oil" or simply "carrier"

[Edited on 3/4/14 by thesmug]
Electra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 15:22

Is there any chance to find this at chain stores like Walmart or Home Depot, or is it more a specialty product, like at craft stores/aromatherapy stores, etc?
thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 15:39

Is there any chance to find this at chain stores like Walmart or Home Depot, or is it more a specialty product, like at craft stores/aromatherapy stores, etc?

Probably not. Zep brand orange cleaner/degreaser is about 20% d-limonene, but is filled with other contaminants.
Mercedesbenzene
Hazard to Self

Mood: Sub Zero

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 21:29

It is actually fairly easy to get D-limonene OTC. It is sold as an citrus based ski wax remover or sometimes as a natural ski wax remover. I used it all the time to clean my skis and can be bought quite cheaply from stores that sell ski's and or ski wax. The label on the back of my 4L bottle says it contains 99% D-limonene. This is the brand I have.

http://www.swixsport.com/eway/default.aspx?pid=278&trg=M...

Electra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 21:36

Hmmm..now to find a ski store in the area then I suppose!
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 07:14

What would the purity of the limonene after distillation?
I would presume there would be other similar chemicals in the other organic matter. I would also presume this could be further purified by fractional distillation or trying to freeze out some of the other components

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 10:05

Isn't Grumtine mostly D limonene or am I confused?

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 10:28

"Goo-Gone" has something like 10% if I am not mistaken. A quick eBay search for limonene reveals many sources though. All of these more economical than buying OTC mixed crap and purifying. Unless that is your thing of course.
Electra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 10:58

I don't really see the purpose of buying something over the counter if you're just going to have to distill/purify it. Seems to defeat the entire purpose of the convenience in obtaining it. If this were something illicit, or hard to obtain, then I can understand. If I can't find relatively pure ready to use d-limonene in store then I will just order it online.

Irregardless, it is always an interesting idea to imagine that so many readily available chemicals for useful reactions can be obtained around town. Adds a degree of mystique to it all.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 16:08

Barnes sells it in Australia as a solvent for polyester resin cleanup.

Go To Top