Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to make PSAN???
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 07:12
How to make PSAN???

does anyone know how to make Phase stabilized Ammonium nitrate???
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 07:56

A bit off topic but, What's with this habit of fanatically posting somewhat vague, semi spoonfeeding-esque type questions with at least three question marks at the end of each? You are showing absolutely no effort into researching the very things you yourself are interested in!
packetforger
Harmless

Mood: Condensing

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 07:59

Is that not the process wherin you add a bit of water and heat it in a pressure cooker style vessel to get the lower density "porous" AN?

I can probably dig up a reference or two and perhaps some details later when I get home if you really want (or no one answers before then), but you should really search!
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 08:21

Quote: Originally posted by wish i had a kraken!!!  

as Mailinmypocket sayed, you should make effort in searching the internet before asking random questions. Here's a patent on a method for producing phase stabilized AN.

Dany.

Attachment: Potassium fluoride stabilized ammonium nitrate.pdf (231kB)
This file has been downloaded 496 times

DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 08:29

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.goog...

This patent shows also an interesting method of stabilizing ammonium nitrate.

Co-crystal of a dinitramide salt(preferably potassium dinitramide), can prevent room-temperature phase transition along with slight increase in performance, oxygen balance, and a good increase on burn rate (Burn rate is the most annoying problem ammonium nitrate have).
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 12:14

Quote: Originally posted by packetforger  
Is that not the process wherin you add a bit of water and heat it in a pressure cooker style vessel to get the lower density "porous" AN?

I can probably dig up a reference or two and perhaps some details later when I get home if you really want (or no one answers before then), but you should really search!

I think it is not by the way I became interested to know about it I would be happy if you share your knowledge with me!

wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 12:20

Quote: Originally posted by Dany  

as Mailinmypocket sayed, you should make effort in searching the internet before asking random questions. Here's a patent on a method for producing phase stabilized AN.

Dany.

Thanks Dany
I'd like to say u and Mailinmypocket should learn "not to judge too quickly!" of course I searched !!!
but u know here I am sure I can find some skillful mad scientists who have done it before! and I hope they will share their knowledge with me :-)

[Edited on 12-3-2014 by wish i had a kraken!!!]
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 13:03

I'd like to say u and Mailinmypocket should learn "not to judge too quickly!" of course I searched !!!

Well, while we are busy learning how to not judge spoonfeedee's too quickly perhaps you could learn how to show what you already know and what you are needing to know.

"Does anyone know how to make phase stabilized ammonium nitrate???" Does not come across as a question from somebody who has done much researching.

Whereas;

"I have researched phase stabilized ammonium nitrate preparation but the part I am lacking information in is.... Etc etc..." Gives slightly more indication that you at least are trying to find information on your own.

It helps if you show where you got your information and explain what information is missing in order for you to gain an understanding of what you are trying to learn. Be specific with your questions instead of asking others to explain everything you need from A to Z!
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 13-3-2014 at 07:50

hmh..
i recall a russian guy apparently quite deep in energetics in his past adviced me to some day try to take AN prills and then heating and cooling them repeatedly (sorry if i managed to mispell that word)
i just dont recall if it was first freeze it then heat it
or the other way around
supposing it would work anyhow if you tried it all a few times with same material

supposing the idea behind this is to make the water vapour expand and contract thus cracking apart the prills, just like watering a hot glass beaker, who doesnt love the cracking sound of glass in a laboratory? (:

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-3-2014 at 08:32

Dear Mailinmypocket the right is yours.
well I have to apologize because I was not clearly mentioned what I am looking for.

I already red several pattens of the same subject and 1 or 2 websites but I never attempted to make PSAN because I think it requires equipments to melt Ammonium nitrate and add some additive -like Lif- and then again solidify it with care -solidification rate must be controlled- as u know the process of melting Ammonium nitrate is what I am afraid of -I fear I may lose contol of the process and detonation happens or toxic fumes forms things like this- so , I never tried it out! And I wanted to know whether or not it is being made by someone else ? and I thought he or she might share his/her knowledge with me. that's why I asked"Does anyone know how to make phase stabilized ammonium nitrate???" for the beginning I just wanted to figure out if someone in here has made it or not .

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  

Well, while we are busy learning how to not judge spoonfeedee's too quickly perhaps you could learn how to show what you already know and what you are needing to know.

"Does anyone know how to make phase stabilized ammonium nitrate???" Does not come across as a question from somebody who has done much researching.

Whereas;

"I have researched phase stabilized ammonium nitrate preparation but the part I am lacking information in is.... Etc etc..." Gives slightly more indication that you at least are trying to find information on your own.

It helps if you show where you got your information and explain what information is missing in order for you to gain an understanding of what you are trying to learn. Be specific with your questions instead of asking others to explain everything you need from A to Z!
DetaDude
Harmless

Mood: Alert

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 09:57
Re: Phase stablized AN

Check out some of the rocketry sites, they use PSAN. or you might try zinc oxide and AN.

Genius creates many a great works............Labor alone finishes them!
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 11:03

Here's a link that may be useful . . . ?

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 11:42

Experiment on phase stabilization and hygroscopicity reduction of ammonium nitrate for propellant use, from USAF:

http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA503088

There is more than 1 thread on AN here, indeed you should UTFSE and then ask your unanswered question very precisely and on an existing, closely related thread.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/search.php?token=&src...

Personally, I too thought the multiple question marks were not very professional looking. Amateur or hobbyist does not have to mean sloppy.

[Edited on 24-3-2014 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 13:53

Thanks bert
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 22:27

helpful information, not to be confused with mean criticism :)
something to consider,

if you have spent a while looking for something to no avail and are starting to get frustrated with no end in sight, perhaps you don't have a bunch of time to look, or you just aren't good at finding, or you don't have insight on where are good resources, it doesn't mean you have done enough to put the work on others. especially if you show no starting point, what you wanna do with it, links or a specific description of the road block you face. the posting guidelines are clear on what is needed in order to post in normal sections of the site and not beginnings: https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=19...

however, members are not jerks, and usually want to help those that show they tried. a good idea, perhaps ask a question in the "short question thread (4)": https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=25... in order to steer you in the right direction. maybe use google to search this site easier ( explained here) https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=25... to actually find some subjects that seem like they haven't been discussed. or why not write up a good solid thread that starts with all the prerequisite info for a post in a section other than beginnings.

ya sure it can be easier to just ask because some one else might have done it, and save you a bunch of time, but it isn't fair to waste the time of others if not done in the right setting. and I also don't care for multiple !!!! or ??? unless a joke was made or a shocking statement after an accident( but that's just me). it looks like you are frantic and don't have time to search = not my problem to most members.

this has been an attempt to suggest tips and proper conduct to save your self some backlash, and not and actual backlashing in and of itself, OK. it's just common courtesy.
-Violet sin-

ya I know others said similar stuff but this kinda rounds up multiple loose ends all at one time. don't forget, there is also the forum library, and the references section to check out.

[Edited on 19-7-2014 by violet sin]

Go To Top