Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Elemental Scientific 20% Off!!!
tomholm
Owner of BME Lab and Science and Elemental Scientific

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 25-4-2014 at 06:58
Special Order on Chemicals

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Keep them coming and I'll do my best to address them.

Elemental can and does order chemicals from Sigma-Aldrich, Fisher Scientific, and others for chemicals that we may not typically stock. Because these are custom, they may take a little longer and incur some additional shipping charges. At this time, you can call (651-646-5339) or email us (info@elementalscientific.net) to inquire about a custom order.

I'm hearing that there may be enough of a demand for this that we should try to develop an easier method for placing such an order on our web site. I will look into this.

tomholm

[*] posted on 25-4-2014 at 07:23

Quote: Originally posted by Funkerman23  
Higher prices may suck a bit but having a place that WILL sell to us is a deal I can live with. I haven't forgotten that your company had the 400C thermometers in stock and shipped to me. No one else either would sell or ship to me as I am just a student. I look forward to buying from y'all. Only thing I do wonder though is if your company would ever sell the 2.4 liter amounts. But there are other sources if I need that much anyway.

Thanks for being a customer. I believe we still have some of those mercury thermometers that we can still sell outside of MN. Also, we can sell larger quantities. Depending on what it is, it may require hazardous shipping charges or multiple packages.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-4-2014 at 12:15

That's great to see a representative of the company posting here; good to see you are involved with your community of customers.

I wanted to say that, while I have heard good things about them, I never ordered from Elemental Scientific. This is because of the extremely long turn-around time for orders, often on the order of several months. I'd rather buy from other sources than have to wait that long in most cases. Good to see you mentioned it, and hopefully you'll address this in the near future!
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 25-4-2014 at 12:42

They are shipping much faster now though, around a week or two tops, I believe.
Quote: Originally posted by tomholm  

Our move is nearly complete and we are now processing orders much more quickly. Our goal is to maintain a larger inventory of prepared chemicals and process orders within 1-3 days.

[Edited on 25-4-2014 by Zyklonb]

Pickardjr
Harmless

Mood: vapor state

[*] posted on 25-4-2014 at 17:11

Elemental scientific has been sold. Been good workin with ya Alan, thanks for all the years of service.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-4-2014 at 10:07

tert butyl alcohol would be nice.
BobD1001
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-4-2014 at 10:39

Quote: Originally posted by Rogeryermaw  
tert butyl alcohol would be nice.

If you are referring to this for use in the elemental potassium preparation T-Amyl Alcohol is a much better choice. Having performed the reaction many times with both tertiary alcohols I can affirm that 2-Methy-Butanol (T-Amyl) works wonders for reaction time and consistency. T-Butyl would work sometimes, and other times produce nothing. These reactions were all done using ultra high purity, very low oxide magnesium turnings freshly prepared on my mill.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2014 at 09:54

Quote: Originally posted by BobD1001  
If you are referring to this for use in the elemental potassium preparation T-Amyl Alcohol is a much better choice. Having performed the reaction many times with both tertiary alcohols I can affirm that 2-Methy-Butanol (T-Amyl) works wonders for reaction time and consistency. T-Butyl would work sometimes, and other times produce nothing. These reactions were all done using ultra high purity, very low oxide magnesium turnings freshly prepared on my mill.

yes i was and thank you! elemental, however, does not carry it either. they have the primary amyl alcohol but do not list the tertiary. any other publicly available source for that?

[Edited on 29-4-2014 by Rogeryermaw]
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 12:55

i just placed an order for sulfuric acid, lead oxide and resorcinol. don't know if tom is still reading this but my mouse finger was faster than my brain. i ordered lead dioxide by mistake and meant to order the mono. can this be corrected before shipping? i did submit an email on the site and tried to call but the store was closed by then.

need the lead oxide for a lead styphnate synthesis. trying to load my own rifle primers.
tomholm

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 06:32
Your order

Quote: Originally posted by Rogeryermaw  
i just placed an order for sulfuric acid, lead oxide and resorcinol. don't know if tom is still reading this but my mouse finger was faster than my brain. i ordered lead dioxide by mistake and meant to order the mono. can this be corrected before shipping? i did submit an email on the site and tried to call but the store was closed by then.

need the lead oxide for a lead styphnate synthesis. trying to load my own rifle primers.

Yes, got your email and will make the change to your order.
Thanks for ordering and good luck with the primers.

Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 07:53

thank you for your help. and thanks for keeping elemental alive. we have a hard enough time fueling our hobby. losing this valuable resource would hurt like a physical blow.
tomholm

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 14:19

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
Hi Tom,

Quick sugestion:

It would be nice if Elemental could act as a proxy through which we could buy chemicals from sites that do not sell to individuals, for a fee.

For instance, if you had an account with Sigma-Aldrich, we could fill out a form on Elemental's webpage requesting a purchase. They ship to you, you ship it to us, and we pay you whatever sigma charged you plus 5%, or something like that.

Sometimes, stuff is just too exotic for anyone but the big guys to supply... I have been looking for cyanuric chloride lately but my only option seems to buy a kilo from overseas since nobody else ships to individuals. Sigma has 500g for $20, and I would gladly pay someone 20% markup to ship it to me, for instance.

I can special order cyanuric chloride in 250 g quantities. Probably cost around $23 - $25 plus shipping. Unfortunately, this product requires Hazardous Shipping charges which can easily add another $60 in shipping costs.

This illustrates the problem with many special orders. Many require hazardous shipping charges - both from my suppliers and when shipped out to the customer and they don't qualify for Limited Quantity exemptions. The costs quickly add up for small quantities.

Good news is you can get it. Bad news is it gets expensive.

Elemental Scientific

tomholm

[*] posted on 17-5-2014 at 07:56
1 oz quantities

You all have been giving me some pretty good insights, so I want to run another question by you. Elemental Scientific currently sells most of its chemicals in 1, 4 and 16 oz sizes. Many of these 1 oz quantities sell for less than $2-$3. As you might suspect, Elemental loses money on each of these sales when accounting for product, packaging, labor and storage costs.

Obvious options are to eliminate the 1 oz sizes entirely (except in special items that are very expensive), or significantly increase the cost of the 1 oz sizes to cover the costs. In many cases there would not be much difference in price between 1 oz and 4 oz sizes.

Question: Can you think of other reasons to keep the 1 oz and 4 oz sizes along with slight differences in prices?

Thanks for the input.

Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 17-5-2014 at 10:38

Don't bother keeping them for the cheaper chemicals. It already makes way more sense to buy the 4 oz sizes of most of those.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 17-5-2014 at 10:56

Yeah, I never buy 1oz.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 13:55

Question: Can you think of other reasons to keep the 1 oz and 4 oz sizes along with slight differences in prices?

Thanks for the input.

Are you planning on keeping the chemical sets? I bought the Standard set a while ago and the Advanced set is due to arrive tomorrow (Yay!). Being a noobie, I'm not sure which chems I need a lot of or just a little, so I really like the sets as a starting point. Going forward though, I expect to mostly order larger sizes.

Do the 1oz sizes allow you to avoid hazard shipping charges? That would be a good reason.

Another reason would be for chems that have a relatively short shelf life. Even if it cost the same for 4 oz as for 1 oz, I'd rather not have to dispose of spoiled chems if I couldn't use it all up in time.

Also, small bottles might help to mollify chem-phobic parents. Plus, they are safer and easier for small kids to handle (with adult supervision, of course).

[Edited on 19-5-2014 by Artemus Gordon]
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 16:18

Quote: Originally posted by Artemus Gordon  

Thanks for the input.

Are you planning on keeping the chemical sets? I bought the Standard set a while ago and the Advanced set is due to arrive tomorrow (Yay!). Being a noobie, I'm not sure which chems I need a lot of or just a little, so I really like the sets as a starting point. Going forward though, I expect to mostly order larger sizes.

Do the 1oz sizes allow you to avoid hazard shipping charges? That would be a good reason.

Another reason would be for chems that have a relatively short shelf life. Even if it cost the same for 4 oz as for 1 oz, I'd rather not have to dispose of spoiled chems if I couldn't use it all up in time.

Also, small bottles might help to mollify chem-phobic parents. Plus, they are safer and easier for small kids to handle (with adult supervision, of course).

[Edited on 19-5-2014 by Artemus Gordon]

You really have some good points here. I have, when ordering chemicals, only bought the 1oz. size (In my case actually 30g.). Indeed it does help with parental problems, eg. when my parents saw that I had ordered 30g ea. of BaNO3 and NaHSO4 (Corrosive, poison, and ox. warnings) it helped that all compounds were in small amounts. I have found a supplier I trust, so the only time I'd go to Elemental is for specialty stuff, so I'd always want it in small amounts. But I am yet to be a customer, so you needn't worry meeting my needs.

Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-5-2014 at 10:05
My order arrived last night!

It was well packed and everything arrived in good shape.

Calculating turn-around time is a bit difficult - I placed my order on May 1, but I was out of town for a few days so I asked them to not ship until after May 11. They shipped it on May 14, so if they just held my order until after the 11th, then they turned it around in 2 days. However there are about 40 bottles of chemicals, plus several pieces of glassware and equipment, so I suspect they had to take more than 2 days to assemble everything. So actual turn-around time is somewhere between 2 and 9 business days. No matter how you calculate it, this is way faster than the old Elemental. So, good job Tom Holm! And thanks!

[Edited on 21-5-2014 by Artemus Gordon]
tomholm

[*] posted on 22-5-2014 at 13:04
Thanks!

Thanks, Artemus! I know we are far from perfect, but I also know that we will improve as we make adjustments to the business. Positive feedback is always welcome and appreciated.

tomholm

[*] posted on 24-5-2014 at 08:10
Elemental Scientific Memorial Day Sale!

In case any of you are not on our mailing list (if not, you should be!), Elemental Scientific is having a Memorial Day Sale. Use code "memorial14" at bmelabandscience.com/store or elementalscientific.net/store until June 1st for $10 off any order of $50 or more.

Enjoy the Holiday!

The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 24-5-2014 at 08:58

Hi Tom,

Just wanting to thank you for being so supportive of the community. You were a major source of reagents to me many years ago, and instrumental in getting me where I am today professionally.
tomholm

[*] posted on 27-5-2014 at 10:04
Customer Success Stories

I always enjoy hearing about customer success stories (sometimes the unsuccessful ones are even more interesting). I believe there is still the next "sticky note glue" or "rust remover" out there waiting to be discovered by a home-based chemist/inventor. Glad to support those ventures and good to hear from long-time customers. Feel free to U2U me anytime - love to hear more about your work.

tomholm

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 19:55
Overstock Sale!

Just want to let you all know that Elemental Scientific is putting some of its overstock items on sale in its Overstock Category. This is a great opportunity to stock up on supplies for your lab.

We will continue to add items, glassware, clamps, pipettes, and chemicals, so keep checking to see what's new! Sale will continue while supplies last.

PeterBunsen
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-6-2014 at 19:56
Order Time

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
They are shipping much faster now though, around a week or two tops, I believe.

Our move is nearly complete and we are now processing orders much more quickly. Our goal is to maintain a larger inventory of prepared chemicals and process orders within 1-3 days.

[Edited on 25-4-2014 by Zyklonb]

My order payment cleared the bank on April24th. I am still waiting for the order six weeks later. I am a patient guy but what gives?:(
tomholm

[*] posted on 9-6-2014 at 05:33
Acetic Anhydride

Quote:

My order payment cleared the bank on April24th. I am still waiting for the order six weeks later. I am a patient guy but what gives?:(

Thanks for letting me know about your order. This also gives me a chance to let everyone know that Acetic Anhydride is extremely difficult to acquire at this time. I believe it may be tied to increased regulation due to its DEA listing as a chemical used to produce controlled substances. As a result, it has been on back order for some time and is currently scheduled to come in at the end of the month. Still, no excuse for not contacting you and letting you know the status of your order.

So, anyone else out there anticipating a need for acetic anhydride, you might want to get your order in soon. I'm just not sure what the availability will be in the future.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top