Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: How did you first come to this forum?
thesmug
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 20:31
How did you first come to this forum?

FYI, I'm not posting this in whimsy because I want more people to be able to see it.

How did you come to this forum for the first time? You don't need to be super specific, just whatever describes it best. I'll start:

I was making ferrofluid and came across a post here concerning how to clean up those nasty iron stains. After making the ferrofluid I started thinking about expanding my chemistry practice and needed help thinking of which chemicals to get to fully stock my newly begun lab, and so made a post in beginnings asking exactly that. Two months and almost 31 days later and here I am (I'm still fairly new, as you can see).
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 20:34

I was searching for appropriate chemistry forums, after finding scienceforums.net a little too soft for my taste. Someone linked to a post here, and one thing led to another.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 20:45

I found sciencemadness in a video about hydrazine sulfate preparation by nurdrage, and have been addicted to this amazing forum ever since.

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 21:16

I used to be a mod on a big site with much less chemistry sophistication circa 2005. Lots of threads caused me to lurk here and back at roguesci. Eventually I got tired of the lack of sophistication elsewhere.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 21:32

tired of youtube, I think I was looking for a more scientific explanation on what ever copper electrochem I was doing and stumbled across SM. never looked back :)
numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 21:38

After asking chemistry questions on yahoo answers, then stabbing my eyes out (metaphorically) as to not see the horrendous responses that dare be called "answers" I looked for a more suitable source of information, this forum came up in the search "chemistry forum" and I decided it was perfect.

I've seen this forum before when searching various topics but YA ultimately caused me to look for something else.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 22:51

Found it from Vulture's sig on roguesci.org about 11 years back, near as I can recall-

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 05:22

I was searching google for information on anodes and found this huge thread here on SM. Been reading ever since.
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 06:33

same here ! had an idea about making AlCl3 on google and BAM ! hundreds of matches popped up for scimad...
and found out that i wasnt the only weirdo amateur scientist!

[Edited on 14-4-2014 by neptunium]

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 07:01

I don't remember exactly, but it surly had to do with the lack of real science, or the idiots trolling on all the other forums/YouTube/Yahoo Answers.

neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 08:10

sciencemadness is great and i reefered it to people who dont know about it and might be interested ...
it only happened 2 or 3 times but at least one of them may have signed up recently !

Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 09:47

I was trying to find an industrial supplier of gallic acid, ran across this thread, and bookmarked the site because I'd honestly never seen a forum for amateur chemistry before.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 15-4-2014 at 09:09

I first discovered it from doing various Google searches about various chemistry related information (I can't remember exactly what anymore, but most searches led me here) and found that it seems to be the best site out there for what I was looking for, especially when I decided to start my home lab for real. That's when I actually joined.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 15-4-2014 at 10:06

Tim's (SM name 12AX7) signature on ABYMC or Backyardmetalcasting.com somewhere around 2008.

Burner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 16:58

I am in the US and several years ago I retired after a long career in R&D and decided to go back to OC and have some fun. What I did not realize was that the world had changed drastically over the years of my working life. The procurement of reagents that I took for granted were no longer available to individuals. While EBay provided some access to materials and much equipment, I was shocked to find that even getting high quality basic supplies like solvents, acids, bases, etc. that are essential in prepartive OC were unavailable from any source whatsoever. I now realize that it is the efforts of the DEA that many items that I have come to feel are indispensible in the lab (eg. I2 & LAH) are on some crazy "watched lists" and I have no hope of purchasing. That is when I realized (in the best tradition of early chemists) that I was responsible for making nearly everthing that I needed. That is when I stumbled across SM. I have been here several weeks and am reading voratiously. I am EXTREMELY impressed with the cleverness and quality of the science here and I hope that I can become a contributing memeber.
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 17:03

Quote: Originally posted by Pinkhippo11  
I found sciencemadness in a video about hydrazine sulfate preparation by nurdrage, and have been addicted to this amazing forum ever since.

Same! Thanks to nurdrage for leading us here.

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 19:24

Like Burner, I too am a retired organic/medicinal chemist after many years in R&D in the pharma business. I stumbled across this site a few years ago when I was doing some consulting work and one of the Google search answers pointed to this board. I was truly impressed that such a site existed and I was stimulated to once again get my hands dirty doing some synthetic organic chemistry and following up some old ideas I had. Like Burner, I found that acquisition of chemicals once taken for granted in industry is a real challenge. Ebay has been a great source but sometimes the quality is questionable. I have found myself working at the level of 1920's or 1930's chemistry. Great fun but often frustrating. (Sure wish I had "people" to wash my glassware!) Finally, I want to thank the keepers of this site for the fine collection of books in the library- a real godsend especially for the older books.
Burner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 10:55

Quote: Originally posted by AvBaeyer  
Like Burner, I too am a retired organic/medicinal chemist after many years in R&D in the pharma business.

Ignore! (Are you in the US? Are you dealing with the same restrictions?)

Duh! I just saw that you posted your location.

[Edited on 7-5-2014 by Burner]
annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 13:11

Hi, Burner and AvB, like you I'm late in career, and doing chemistry just for fun. And like you, I've found how hard it is to obtain chemicals and supplies, compared to when I was a kid and you could just order 2 liters of nitric acid and they would deliver it to your door, no questions asked. AvB, I see you're in California. Where, may I ask? I'm in the bay area.

Any other SF Bay chemists?
Burner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 16:08

I feel that this is the biggest stumbling block for some of the younger chemists. I was trained to synth most of the materuals that I needed from simple organic starting materials using a series of fairly common laboratory reagents. But these common reagent building blocks are nearly impossible to source currently. I hope to learn from the scientific experiences chronicled here on SM how to get back to doing some OC.
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 19:21

annaandherdad,

I am in the Bay Area also.

AvB
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 12:01

I was walking along, thinking of getting back into chemistry, not looking where i was going, then i just tripped and fell.

Now here i am in the SM website, vaguely wondering how to get out, but not really trying hard, as it's great in here.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 06:59

i really have no clue at all what it was that i was trying to get an answer on, but i remember that i tried to sign up +10 times and captcha just totally fucked me over, every single time
case sensitive or not, captcha has something personal against me

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 01:00

I really don't remember! It was 12 years ago..

[Edited on 3-7-2014 by Eliteforum]

All that glitters isn't gold.
Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 18:12

I met hkparker when he was doing chem demos at Maker Faire, started watching his YouTube videos, and he posted a link to here.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top